Author Topic: SF Music Survey  (Read 6608 times)

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
SF Music Survey
« on: June 21, 2005, 09:58:27 PM »
I finished day one. Listened to snippets of 700 songs. Biggest damn Scantron sheet I have ever seen. Took about 90 minutes. My eyes hurt and my wrists are sore. Apparently being done nationwide. The group was all women, about 115. Everyone looked to be late 30's to early 50s.

Questions
In the past week what have you listened to:
KFOG, 101.3, Bone 107.7, KUFX 98.5, 106.5 and Max 95.7.

Pick one, most listened to

How often would you listen to a station playing a wide vaiety of 70s (Steely Dan, Eagles, Steve Miller), 80s (Boston, Bruce Springsteen, Don Henley, Police, a few 90s (Lenny Kravitz, Sheryl Crow, U2.

Would this station be your favorite or 2nd or 3rd choice?

For the 700 songs there was a rating system of
Like a lot
Like some
So so
Don't like (you'd turn the station off)
Tired of (used to like, burned out on it now)
Not familiar

I heard way too much Genesis, Phil Collins, Eagles, Don Henley, Cars, Billy Joel and every song that has been on Hit Me Baby, including Cameo. There was one Dead song (Casey Jones), one AC/DC song, a few Van Halen, A few Aerosmith, a few KC & Sunshine, one Abba, two Bee Gees, a smattering of disco and about 4 Zep tunes. Tone Loc, Hey Ya, a few alternative tunes, Funky Monkey and others I hear on live 105 and 104.9.

Heard an overload of songs (probably 500) that all sounded like Norah Jones and other chicks that sound slow and sappy. :shock:

There were three men who were monitoring and they looked to be respectively mid 40ish, 50ish and 60ish. I kept thinking they must be Mormons from Bonneville.

I'll be back for round two tomorrow.
Sharks bleed teal.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
SF Music Survey
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2005, 10:06:08 PM »
Ooh, thanks for the recaps.  This could make for a great story, Alison - sorry to lapse into journo mode so much lately, but if you wanted to explore it, I think this first-person story is very pitch-able.  Looking forward to hearing about Part Two.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
SF Music Survey
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2005, 07:31:56 AM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"
Ooh, thanks for the recaps.  This could make for a great story, Alison - sorry to lapse into journo mode so much lately, but if you wanted to explore it, I think this first-person story is very pitch-able.  Looking forward to hearing about Part Two.

Unless they made Ali sign a confidentiality agreement... :wink:

Sounds like it could indeed be Bonneville trying to tweak MAX -- or it could be Infinity trying to decide what to do with 106.9 when they take it over in October.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: SF Music Survey
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2005, 09:41:23 AM »
Quote from: "Alicat"
The group was all women, about 115. Everyone looked to be late 30's to early 50s.

Questions
In the past week what have you listened to:

Pick one, most listened to

Heard an overload of songs (probably 500) that all sounded like Norah Jones and other chicks that sound slow and sappy. :shock:

There were three men who were monitoring and they looked to be respectively mid 40ish, 50ish and 60ish. I kept thinking they must be Mormons from Bonneville.

I'll be back for round two tomorrow.

Based on the above it sounds to me like it has something to do with Alice, with the fact that: all the testees were woman, all the Norah Jones soundalikes, and the fact that 97.3 was not on the list.  Of course I'm probably wrong.

btw, Ali, send me your mailing address sometime & I'll send you a CD full of Dylan .mp3's.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
SF Music Survey
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2005, 09:46:10 AM »
"Alice" has recently done a complete overhaul of their format, playing a lot of Top 40 dance-oriented stuff (like Madonna) that they previously had not played. Their introspective, "Lilith Fair" days are over. So maybe somebody is anticipating disgruntled former Alice listeners who are looking for a "girlie" station.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: SF Music Survey
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2005, 10:01:32 AM »
Quote from: "Alicat"

Don't draw too many conclusions based on who's running the group. I've done a few of these, and it seems like the people who are in charge of asking the questions are usually working for a marketing study firm hired by the station.
Let's get right to it.

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
Round 2
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2005, 09:40:13 PM »
Survey is done. Tonight there was a paper written survey and then 90 minutes of snippets with scantron, only about 690 tonight. I have a pencil callus on my finger from gripping the pencil so hard to darken circles.

I asked the sign in woman about who the men were. Determined one was indeed a moderator and the other two were from the broadcast/radio company. After the survey as we were filing out, I went to the men and inquired who they were with. They seemed genuinely pleased about the interest from me but did not want to divulge. They asked who I thought they were with and I said Bonneville. They smiled a bit but would not acknowledge. They had apparently scanned the written suveys they got at the onset of the night and asked if I was the one who wrote some specifics on the survey. I said yes. I made mention of my opinion of Max and the new jockless we play anything format. I said it lacked personality. Their ads may be cute but that does not make for personality.

I'll recap the written survey:

List the first station that comes to mind:
-Seems to be getting better_____
- Not as good as it used to be____
- Best for people your age______
- Plays a lot of music without a lot of talk or interruptions_____
- Is best to listen to at work_____
- Has a good sense of humor______
- Plays anything they feel like______
- Has DJs that talk too much about things you don't care about_____

1. What are you listening more to in the past month or two?

2. What are you listening less to in the past month or two?

3. Which ONE station in the Bay Area is your favorite?

4. List ONE primary reason you listen the most to this station

5. One thing you'd change about this station

6. Are you aware of new stations in the Bay Area? If yes, which one?

7. What's your preference for a balance of new and old on your favorite station? from 1-all old to 9- all new

8. Do you own an iPod?

9. If yes, how many songs are on it?

10. How much time a day do you listen to it?

11. Balance of slow to fast on your fave station slow 1 to 9 fast

Again, lots of women crooning about lost love and hurt/pain. Men who sound like Dave Matthews and Jack Johnson crooning about angels and hurt feelings. Way TOO MANY tired old 80's songs. Even heard the real Katrina. Too much Eagles and tired Fleetwood Mac. Bunch a Billy Joel. One Dead song, two Zep tunes, Jane and Miracles, one apiece for AC/DC,  Tone Loc again with Funky Cold Medina, Beastie Boys, Anne Murray. Bad Aerosmith. Most of the songs tended to be of the ballad variety.
Sharks bleed teal.