Author Topic: 17 June 2010: it's... 1978  (Read 13855 times)

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
Re: 17 June 2010: it's... 1978
« Reply #45 on: June 17, 2010, 10:44:05 AM »
I guess there's not going to be any funky or non-funky Tut. Watching the clip brings the chuckles.   MTM flashback.
pre-78 but
"Chuckles the Clown brought pleasure to millions. The characters he created will be remembered by children and adults alike: Peter Peanut, Mr. Fee-Fi-Fo, Billy Banana, and my particular favorite, Aunt Yoo Hoo. And not just for the laughter they provided—there was always some deeper meaning to whatever Chuckles did. Do you remember Mr. Fee-Fi-Fo's little catch phrase? Remember how, when his arch rival Señor Kaboom hit him with a giant cucumber and knocked him down, Mr. Fee-Fi-Fo would always pick himself up, dust himself off, and say, 'I hurt my foo-foo'? Life's a lot like that. From time to time we all fall down and hurt our foo-foos. If only we could deal with it as simply and bravely and honestly as Mr. Fee-Fi-Fo. And what did Chuckles ask in return? Not much. In his own words, 'A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down your pants.'"
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 10:46:32 AM by Alicat »
Sharks bleed teal.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 17, 2010, 10:45:02 AM »
Oh man, I heard that ringtone and was afraid she was going to somehow segue into Pink Floyd.

Debbie H was acrawss da hawl, but she just had ta cawl!  VHM Blondie.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 17, 2010, 10:45:57 AM »
Copa!
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 10:50:11 AM by Wayback »

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 17, 2010, 10:46:30 AM »
I find the KISS records reference funny in this song.

the band has humor, for sure.   In concert, Rick Nielsen usually chucks out a faux Kiss album at that point int the song.

That's kind of awesome.  A reverse Barenaked Ladies Kraft Dinner thing.

Two things about KISS:  1) Why did Glee have to use "Shout Out It Out Loud" intead of one of their real hits?  Odd -- I hardly know that song at all (although it is now stuck in my head).  But not Rock and Roll All Nite?  My guess is that Simmons et al wanted too much money for the rights.

2) as an elementary schoolkid raised in a somewhat conservative Christian household, I thought KISS (Kings In Satan's Service) would always be *much* heavier metal, a la Judas Priest.  Something of a disappointment/relief/joke to later find out how pop they were.  Image is everything, I guess.

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 17, 2010, 10:47:07 AM »
COPA!!!!!!
Sharks bleed teal.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 17, 2010, 10:47:08 AM »
OMFG!!! She's playing it!!  uber-super-duper BOS6  Who Shot Who??

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 17, 2010, 10:47:29 AM »
Copa!

who could ask for more? 

another BOS!
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 17, 2010, 10:50:06 AM »
Why did Glee have to use "Shout Out It Out Loud" intead of one of their real hits?  Odd -- I hardly know that song at all (although it is now stuck in my head).  But not Rock and Roll All Nite?  My guess is that Simmons et al wanted too much money for the rights.

I'm thinking Ryan Murphy thinks "Shout it OUT Loud" is somehow gayer.

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 17, 2010, 10:52:37 AM »
I suppo
Why did Glee have to use "Shout Out It Out Loud" intead of one of their real hits?  Odd -- I hardly know that song at all (although it is now stuck in my head).  But not Rock and Roll All Nite?  My guess is that Simmons et al wanted too much money for the rights.

I'm thinking Ryan Murphy thinks "Shout it OUT Loud" is somehow gayer.

Yeah, the episode was titled "Theatricality", so I guess there's something to that.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 17, 2010, 10:52:42 AM »
Two things about KISS:  1) Why did Glee have to use "Shout Out It Out Loud" intead of one of their real hits?  Odd -- I hardly know that song at all (although it is now stuck in my head).  But not Rock and Roll All Nite?  My guess is that Simmons et al wanted too much money for the rights.

because it's a better song!  

2) as an elementary schoolkid raised in a somewhat conservative Christian household, I thought KISS (Kings In Satan's Service) would always be *much* heavier metal, a la Judas Priest.  Something of a disappointment/relief/joke to later find out how pop they were.  Image is everything, I guess.

HA!  Did that rumor about their name acronym make you want to hear their music?   Yes, they are cartoon metal, it goes without saying, really.
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 17, 2010, 10:53:27 AM »
Copa!

who could ask for more? 

another BOS!

I've never loved Facebook more than I do at this moment.  An artist bustout (except for Dave HFH sets; he once did a Manilow medley iirc, tho' it was pre-shraytabase)

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 17, 2010, 10:54:29 AM »
Re: Howard Cosell - Ah, Battle Of The Network Stars.  I can't recall if I actually saw any of these when they first aired (I was 8, mind you), but the concept boggles the mind.  David Letterman in a relay race?  What?

Ah yes, Baker Street.  Absolutely one of my Katrinas as well.  It's indelibly linked to going ice skating at Southland ice rink in Hayward.  My grandma would take me and I'd just do endless laps.  When I heard those saxophones, I would kick it into overdrive.  Ahhh.

the Letterman mention surprised me, too.  I knew his morning show started airing later (1980) so I wikipeed him and in 78 he was a Carson favorite and one off his regular replacement hosts.  So he was sort of known, but wanted more exposure for sure.  Plus, you know he's a jock and would have jumped at the chance to get all athletic and show off in front off those tasty H'wood starlets.

Wow, he's particularly bad at kayaking:  
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RRpwAlxjeM

OMG, Tim Reid, and... Shatner!?!?

Wait... the real jocks turn out to be Robert Ulrich and Gabe Kaplan!?  Mr. Kotter!
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 10:56:56 AM by darryl »

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 17, 2010, 10:56:19 AM »
Surrender, but don't give yourselves away

they should hook up with Barry:

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 17, 2010, 11:00:57 AM »
Guilty on the Baker Street request, but in all honesty I never get tired of it. Sort of my personal Katrina.

oops, I was reading so quickly I didn't realize that was you.  Any time you need a "Baker St" fix, just turn on 103.7 The Band and wait about, oh, 20 minutes.  ;)

I just switched over to WLNG and... they're playing "Baker St" ::)

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 17, 2010, 11:03:01 AM »

because it's a better song!  

Indeed.  I can't get it out of my head.

HA!  Did that rumor about their name acronym make you want to hear their music?   Yes, they are cartoon metal, it goes without saying, really.

No, it didn't really entice me.  But like I said, I was somewhat sheltered growing up.  No older siblings buying records or anything like that.  On the other hand it wasn't like our church was going around burning records.  But I wasn't buying much music at the time.

But I do remember seeing KISS graffiti on lunch tables, which made them pretty bad-ass, in my mind.  Obviously more bad-ass than they deserved.