Author Topic: Gazoo's Thread of Self-Indulgence  (Read 76517 times)

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Gazoo's Thread of Self-Indulgence
« on: June 07, 2005, 08:45:41 AM »
Where I post links to stuff I've been working on.

The latest: my review for the Voice of Aimee Mann's new album, The Forgotten Arm:

http://www.villagevoice.com/music/0523,mccombs,64661,22.html

Hope you dig.  It's on the front page of the Voice website today, so I'm hoping it gets enough hits that they encourage me to pitch more stuff their way.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: Gazoo's Thread of Self-Indulgence
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2005, 08:51:16 AM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"

The latest: my review for the Voice of Aimee Mann's new album, The Forgotten Arm:

Hope you dig.  It's on the front page of the Voice website today, so I'm hoping it gets enough hits that they encourage me to pitch more stuff their way.

Good review, but I don't understand the headline.  I have a Drop Kick Murphy's album, but what's the connection to Aimee Mann?  Am I missing something obvious?
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2005, 08:51:27 AM »
The world needs more song cycles about junkie boxers.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: Gazoo's Thread of Self-Indulgence
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2005, 09:05:16 AM »
Quote from: "mshray"

Good review, but I don't understand the headline.  I have a Drop Kick Murphy's album, but what's the connection to Aimee Mann?  Am I missing something obvious?

The connection doesn't translate as well on the website.  DKM's latest album refers to boxing as well, so Chuck Eddy thought they'd make for good bookends.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2005, 11:28:27 AM »
My latest article: coverage of last weekend's Playing For Life softball tournament.  Cyd loved it, so here's hoping I can get more work from him.

http://www.outsports.com/softball/2005/0704pfl.htm

Hope you dig.

Gaz

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2005, 07:08:35 PM »
Another article for your perusal: an interview with Robert McChesney, a highly visible talking-head on the topics of media consolidation and media manipulation.

http://www.villagevoice.com/people/0528,interview,65909,24.html

(A web exclusive, not in the print edition.)

(Yes, that means I get paid less for it.)

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2005, 08:52:39 PM »
My latest article: coverage of last weekend's Playing For Life softball tournament.  Cyd loved it, so here's hoping I can get more work from him.

Hope you dig.

Gaz

Cool. The Park looks wonderful. I'd love to play there.
Sharks bleed teal.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2005, 07:33:36 AM »

Hope you dig.

Gaz

Fine work, bub.  You should pitch a story about your experiences at the Gym "Sports Bar".  :wink:

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2005, 07:58:00 AM »
Quote from: "RGMike"

Hope you dig.

Gaz

Fine work, bub.  You should pitch a story about your experiences at the Gym "Sports Bar".  :wink:

That's happening in the Best Of New York issue, coming out in late August or early September: I'm doing an entry on GYM as "Best Sports Bar For Guys Who Don't Like Sports."

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2005, 08:02:44 AM »
Quote from: "RGMike"

Hope you dig.

Gaz

That's happening in the Best Of New York issue, coming out in late August or early September: I'm doing an entry on GYM as "Best Sports Bar For Guys Who Don't Like Sports."

ROTFL!

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2005, 09:50:31 AM »
Another article for your perusal: an interview with Robert McChesney, a highly visible talking-head on the topics of media consolidation and media manipulation.

http://www.villagevoice.com/people/0528,interview,65909,24.html

(A web exclusive, not in the print edition.)

(Yes, that means I get paid less for it.)

Keep in mind, that's how Mark Morford got where he is today. (Writing for the Web, not necessarily getting paid less. Although from what I've heard about the Chron....)
Let's get right to it.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2005, 08:13:08 PM »
BTW, Urth - I just applied for a full-time copy edit position here in NYC for CNET's Computer Shopper magazine.  I played up my experience with digital media technology and legal issues along with my copy edit bkgd in the hopes of bonus points, but didn't dwell on my past work with ZDNet Music b/c it was (shudder) five years ago.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2005, 08:22:18 PM »
BTW, Urth - I just applied for a full-time copy edit position here in NYC for CNET's Computer Shopper magazine.  I played up my experience with digital media technology and legal issues along with my copy edit bkgd in the hopes of bonus points, but didn't dwell on my past work with ZDNet Music b/c it was (shudder) five years ago.

Very cool! Even tho' it's more or less the same company, I didn't know they were hiring. (There are some cross-posting between the two "publications" but their staffs are pretty much separate.) I'll nose around and see if I can find out who's hiring for the position and let them know they should just sign you on and be done with it.

And I would at least mention in passing that you've worked for the company before, so long as you left on good terms anyway (and maybe even if not, if only to put your own spin on it). Figure they're going to find out sooner or later, once they enter your SSN in the HR computer. And I know of several folks who have worked for the company, left, and then come back (some more than once), so I don't think they'd hold it against you.

Who were your supervisors 5 years ago? And was ZDNet a CNET property back then?
Let's get right to it.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2005, 08:37:19 PM »
Quote from: "urth"
And I would at least mention in passing that you've worked for the company before, so long as you left on good terms anyway (and maybe even if not, if only to put your own spin on it). Figure they're going to find out sooner or later, once they enter your SSN in the HR computer. And I know of several folks who have worked for the company, left, and then come back (some more than once), so I don't think they'd hold it against you.

Who were your supervisors 5 years ago? And was ZDNet a CNET property back then?

I was working with them on a freelance basis immediately after leaving RadioSpy in August 2000.  Andy Deemer was the guy who brought me on and shepherded me, but my articles were sent to Ankarino Lara.  Both wonderful people whom I wish I hadn't lost touch with.  They introduced me to Jeff Wachs and a guy named Charlie (I forget his last name; I remember that he had only one arm), who were hiring an associate producer for the ZDNet Music division (I don't think they were a wholly owned CNET property at this time).  They wanted to bring me on, but needed the person to start *the next day*.  I hadn't yet moved back to SF from Orange County at the time of interview, and had already committed to being a groomsman at a close friend's wedding on the east coast that weekend, and so was unable to do that, and they ended up going with someone else.  I've wondered at times how things might have turned out had I gotten that position, realizing full well that I couldn't have changed those circumstances or made a different decision.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2005, 11:48:49 PM »
New material online at the Voice website: a short article about the pending acquisiting of MySpace.com by Rupert Murdoch's Fox Interactive Media.

http://villagevoice.com/screens/0533,webmccombs,66817,28.html

Unfortunately, I didn't get a callback on the CNET opening.  Still failing to parlay my current work into further copy editing gigs or mid-tier writing assignments, which is admittedly frustrating.  But in under 16 hours I'll be meeting Marty Balin for the first time, so on shall go the smiley face.