Author Topic: KFOG, But Not 10@10  (Read 1078568 times)

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
KFOG, But Not 10@10
« on: May 18, 2005, 11:07:13 AM »
At about 2:05 EST they played a retro song called "Dance Me to the End of Love."  The singer sounded like she took all her cues from Billie Holiday.  And I'm afraid I don't mean that as a compliment.  Anyone know who it was?

P.S.  Segueing from that to TFF's "Shout" is not good for the ears.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
Re: KFOG, But Not 10@10
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2005, 11:33:49 AM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"
At about 2:05 EST they played a retro song called "Dance Me to the End of Love."  The singer sounded like she took all her cues from Billie Holiday.  And I'm afraid I don't mean that as a compliment.  Anyone know who it was?

P.S.  Segueing from that to TFF's "Shout" is not good for the ears.

Madeleine Peyroux.  Played alot over the last few months.  I like it.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

Beej

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
KFOG, But Not 10@10
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2005, 11:38:08 AM »
At about 2:05 EST they played a retro song called "Dance Me to the End of Love." The singer sounded like she took all her cues from Billie Holiday. And I'm afraid I don't mean that as a compliment. Anyone know who it was?

OO! OO! I know this!

"Who is Madeline Peyroux?"

And yeah- I'd have to agree with yer assessment. I'd be interesting in hearing more from her to see if all her stuff's like that.

You know who I think might be a tige overrated already? That woman whose gonna sing at KABOOM (Kathleen Edwards?).

I'm sick of that "Bad News" song already, man. And that one other one where she's tellin some guy she's "got ways to make you coooooome back to me?" Sick of that, too.
nakes? On my plane?

Beej

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
KFOG, But Not 10@10
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2005, 11:38:43 AM »
D'oh! Rod answered the question while I was busy ranting. Well, that'll learn me.
nakes? On my plane?

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2005, 11:42:48 AM »

I thought you were joking at first -- we've discussed this song more than a few times, methinks, as poc gave us many details of her meet-up with Ms Peyroux recently. I can't believe that's the first time you've heard it.

BTW, Dean on CG was discussing the # single in the UK, "I'm Mr Lonely" by Akon, which was "inspired" by Bobby Vinton's "Mr Lonely from 40 years ago. Great snarky comments here:

http://www.thisisfakediy.co.uk/view.php?id=3791
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2005, 11:55:44 AM »
Quote from: "RGMike"

I thought you were joking at first -- we've discussed this song more than a few times, methinks, as poc gave us many details of her meet-up with Ms Peyroux recently. I can't believe that's the first time you've heard it.

BTW, Dean on CG was discussing the # single in the UK, "I'm Mr Lonely" by Akon, which was "inspired" by Bobby Vinton's "Mr Lonely from 40 years ago. Great snarky comments here:

Well, I don't listen to KFOG except for 10@10, for the most part, and NYC don't have any stations of a similar bent to my knowledge.  So yeah, that's the first I've heard of Ms. Peyroux.  Sorry - not my bag.

And "Meester Lonely" is a strong candidate for the "top" slot in my annual Worst Song of the Year rundown.  Holy crap is that song annoying.  Yet top 40 radio here plays it hourly.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2005, 12:25:11 PM »

Well, I don't listen to KFOG except for 10@10, for the most part, and NYC don't have any stations of a similar bent to my knowledge.  So yeah, that's the first I've heard of Ms. Peyroux.  Sorry - not my bag.

And "Meester Lonely" is a strong candidate for the "top" slot in my annual Worst Song of the Year rundown.  Holy crap is that song annoying.  Yet top 40 radio here plays it hourly.

I always forget NYC doesn't have a triple-A station, except for The Peak which probably doesn't make it into Manhattan over the air without you hooking up a bigass antenna with coathangers dangling from all sides.  It's the format WNEW-FM should have segued into instead of going to FM talk, Opie & Anthony, and oblivion.

"Whoever produced it (the track zapping up any inclination to find out who the culprit may be) presumably set their Fisher Price My First Keyboard to 'twinkly', bashing whichever keys lit up." LOL!

BTW didja catch "Teammates" last nite? I missed it, as I was watching Mr Z pitch in person (and not very well).

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2005, 09:58:26 PM »
BTW didja catch "Teammates" last nite? I missed it, as I was watching Mr Z pitch in person (and not very well).

Oh. My. God.

I *totally* meant to post about it here, and promptly forgot.  So Barry Zito was matched up with surfer-dude outfielder Eric Byrnes; they competed against two players from the Arizona Cardinals (Larry Fitzgerald and some lineman) and two world-record-holding female swimmers.  The latter didn't know squat about each other and didn't have much imagination.  So they were duds.  But the Cards had a pretty good connection for each other's foibles.  And Barry and Eric -- they were frighteningly compatible.  *SPOILER*  When asked what feature is his most out-of-sync with his body, Eric said of Barry: "His hips.  He has these womanly, child-bearing hips."  Barry replied with the same thing.  Funny vibe!  They did the same on a few more questions -- Barry draping his arm around Eric's shoulder cinema-flirt-style for the second round -- and then Barry & Eric were tied with the Cards going into the final speed round.

*STILL A SPOILER*  Barry and Eric ended up winning.  After such was declared, they emerged from their respective podiums and hugged in front of the camera -- and as they emerged from their hug, Barry cinched his pinkie finger under Eric's shirt, lifting the shirt up to mid-ribcage level, before releasing and the two of them rejoined the other contestants and the host.  It was the most astonishingly homoerotic moment I've ever seen in live sports.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2005, 07:38:45 AM »

Oh. My. God.

I *totally* meant to post about it here, and promptly forgot.  So Barry Zito was matched up with surfer-dude outfielder Eric Byrnes; they competed against two players from the Arizona Cardinals (Larry Fitzgerald and some lineman) and two world-record-holding female swimmers.  The latter didn't know squat about each other and didn't have much imagination.  So they were duds.  But the Cards had a pretty good connection for each other's foibles.  And Barry and Eric -- they were frighteningly compatible.  *SPOILER*  When asked what feature is his most out-of-sync with his body, Eric said of Barry: "His hips.  He has these womanly, child-bearing hips."  Barry replied with the same thing.  Funny vibe!  They did the same on a few more questions -- Barry draping his arm around Eric's shoulder cinema-flirt-style for the second round -- and then Barry & Eric were tied with the Cards going into the final speed round.

*STILL A SPOILER*  Barry and Eric ended up winning.  After such was declared, they emerged from their respective podiums and hugged in front of the camera -- and as they emerged from their hug, Barry cinched his pinkie finger under Eric's shirt, lifting the shirt up to mid-ribcage level, before releasing and the two of them rejoined the other contestants and the host.  It was the most astonishingly homoerotic moment I've ever seen in live sports.

Wow.

ESPN being ESPN, I'm sure they'll rerun it a gazillion times -- Must. See. Teammates!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2005, 12:39:21 PM »

Oh. My. God....

BTW I'm amazed I could find NO mention of the show on Outsports.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
KFOG, But Not 10@10
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2005, 11:57:38 PM »
Annalisa was diggin' on Who's Next today, around 11:15 I heard "Won't Get Fooled Again, and then around 2:00 I heard "Behind Blue Eyes".
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
KFOG, But Not 10@10
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2005, 09:03:48 AM »
OMFG! "Ride The Tiger" on KFOG, and it isn't even A-to-Z!!

white wants out of this world...

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
Irish Greg said he never heard this before!
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2005, 09:08:53 AM »
OMFG! "Ride The Tiger" on KFOG, and it isn't even A-to-Z!!

white wants out of this world...
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
KFOG, But Not 10@10
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2005, 09:29:54 AM »
this week on New Releases Thurs: a band called Assembly of Dust.

Didn't they used to be Jars of Clay? :wink:

Beej

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
KFOG, But Not 10@10
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2005, 09:37:52 AM »
this week on New Releases Thurs: a band called Assembly of Dust.

Didn't they used to be Jars of Clay?

No, that was Puddle of Mudd.  :D

(a band with a dumb name but I must admit I like that "She Fuckin Hates Me" song).
nakes? On my plane?