Author Topic: The Sound (LA), 4/28/09: 1970  (Read 3140 times)

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
The Sound (LA), 4/28/09: 1970
« on: April 28, 2009, 10:13:24 AM »
starts off with the Beatles (yay!) On Our Way Home Two Of Us
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 11:27:27 AM by Tinka_Cat »
~CPL593H~

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: The Sound (LA), 4/28/09: 1970
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2009, 10:17:22 AM »
starts off with the Beatles (yay!) On Our Way Home

I recently made an all-Beatles-covers mix for my friend whose heart I'm trying to win; kicked it off with Aimee Mann and Michael Penn's version of "Two of Us."  (Included 5 different versions of "Eleanor Rigby," too.  But alas, no Gladys Knight & the Pips "Let It Be," as it's not on iTunes and I only own the song on cassette.)
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2009, 10:19:35 AM »

I recently made an all-Beatles-covers mix for my friend whose heart I'm trying to win; kicked it off with Aimee Mann and Michael Penn's version of "Two of Us."  (Included 5 different versions of "Eleanor Rigby," too.  But alas, no Gladys Knight & the Pips "Let It Be," as it's not on iTunes and I only own the song on cassette.)

the Gladys is also on the CD of Motown Beatle covers I own (Marvin doing "Yesterday", etc) which is worth owning and probably available cheap on Amazon.

1. We Can Work It Out - Stevie Wonder 2. Eleanor Rigby - The Four Tops 3. Can't Buy Me Love - The Supremes 4. Yesterday - Marvin Gaye 5. Hey Jude - The Temptations 6. Fool on the Hill - The Four Tops 7. Let It Be - Gladys Knight & the Pips 8. Come Together - Diana Ross 9. And I Love Her - Smokey Robinson & the Miracles 10. Got to Get You into My Life - The Four Tops 11. My Sweet Lord - Edwin Starr 12. Hard Day's Night - The Supremes 13. Michelle - The Four Tops 14. Something - Junior Walker & the All-Stars 15. Long and Winding Road - Diana Ross
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 10:31:36 AM by RGMike »
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2009, 10:24:31 AM »
Come hear, dose and twirl around to Uncle John's Band, dude
~CPL593H~

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2009, 10:30:20 AM »
Then one fine morning she turned on a New York/Chicago/SF/LA station, she couldn't believe what she heard at all!

It was all right...
~CPL593H~

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2009, 10:33:56 AM »

the Gladys is also on the CD of Motown Beatle covers I own (Marvin doing "Yesterday", etc) which is worth owning and probably available cheap on Amazon.

1. We Can Work It Out - Stevie Wonder 2. Eleanor Rigby - The Four Tops 3. Can't Buy Me Love - The Supremes 4. Yesterday - Marvin Gaye 5. Hey Jude - The Temptations 6. Fool on the Hill - The Four Tops 7. Let It Be - Gladys Knight & the Pips 8. Come Together - Diana Ross 9. And I Love Her - Smokey Robinson & the Miracles 10. Got to Get You into My Life - The Four Tops 11. My Sweet Lord - Edwin Starr 12. Hard Day's Night - The Supremes 13. Michelle - The Four Tops 14. Something - Junior Walker & the All-Stars 15. Long and Winding Road - Diana Ross

That's exactly the comp I have on cassette.  I'll look for it on Amazon next time I have some time to record-shop.  (When I buy from them, I go bulk to get the shipping discounts.)
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2009, 11:32:49 AM »

Two of Us - Beatles
Layla - Derek & The Dominos
Lay Down - Melanie
Uncle John's Band - Grateful Dead
Rock N Roll - Velvet Underground
Steamroller Blues - James Taylor
Lookin' Out My Back Door - CCR
Roadhouse Blues - Doors
Express Yourself - Charles Wright
No Matter What - Badfinger

BOS to Melanie
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2009, 11:54:42 AM »

Two of Us - Beatles
Lay Down - Melanie
Roadhouse Blues - Doors

BOS to Melanie

Lawd! kudos to Larry for 'Spress Yo'self (that should say Charles Wright... and the Watts 103rd St Rhythm Band) and while I don't hate JT the way some do (lurve the early stuff) "SB" is embarrassing. "a choinin' oin o' boinin funk"? Really, James.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2009, 12:10:50 PM »

Two of Us - Beatles
Lay Down - Melanie
Roadhouse Blues - Doors

BOS to Melanie

Lawd! kudos to Larry for 'Spress Yo'self (that should say Charles Wright... and the Watts 103rd St Rhythm Band) and while I don't hate JT the way some do (lurve the early stuff) "SB" is embarrassing. "a choinin' oin o' boinin funk"? Really, James.

yes, this set was pretty good, as a 1970 set can be without too much effort.  i wold swap out a couple here and there, but it was fun.  a minor drag when both KFOG and The Sound do a worthy set. 
~CPL593H~

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2009, 12:48:05 PM »

Lawd! kudos to Larry for 'Spress Yo'self (that should say Charles Wright... and the Watts 103rd St Rhythm Band)...

To Larry's credit, he did give the entire name of the band in the backsell. Intern's gettin' lazy I guess--or they have a character limit.
Let's get right to it.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2009, 12:57:27 PM »

Lawd! kudos to Larry for 'Spress Yo'self (that should say Charles Wright... and the Watts 103rd St Rhythm Band)...

To Larry's credit, he did give the entire name of the band in the backsell. Intern's gettin' lazy I guess--or they have a character limit.

that's right, he did give props.  I like Larry's occasional mid-set announcements. 

Today he told us how his mother, who otherwise had good musical taste, "Hate-Hate-Hated Credence".  Which, of course made him like it more.   

~CPL593H~