Author Topic: The Sound (LA), 4/2/09 - 1990  (Read 2749 times)

mshray

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Sound (LA), 4/2/09 - 1990
« on: April 02, 2009, 10:00:49 AM »
Larry leads off with a Twin Peaks reference & then Bruce Hornsby.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: The Sound (LA), 4/2/09 - 1990
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2009, 10:13:43 AM »
I'm impressed by Social Distortion but not by Damn Yankees.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2009, 10:23:29 AM »
"Blue Sky Mine" and Concrete Blonde -- maybe Dave's moonlighting as a consultant to Larry!

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2009, 10:25:52 AM »
A triad of BOS candidates in "Blue Sky Mine," "Joey," and now "Enjoy the Silence."  I'd discovered Pittsburgh's modern-rock station around this time and was hearing a lot of this, along with the Cure, Tears for Fears, and Soup Dragons.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2009, 10:30:04 AM »
A triad of BOS candidates in "Blue Sky Mine," "Joey," and now "Enjoy the Silence."  I'd discovered Pittsburgh's modern-rock station around this time and was hearing a lot of this, along with the Cure, Tears for Fears, and Soup Dragons.

TANC -- the movie Adventureland (opening Fri) is set in Pittsburgh in the late '80s and features a slammin' '80s sndtk. Directed by the guy who did Superbad, it's getting some excellent reviews.

Also a film of Michael Chabon's Mysteries of Pittsburgh is coming next month

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2009, 10:36:55 AM »
Oh, dammit!  After all that Jellyfish buildup ... he plays "That Is Why," Dave's Katrina for the band.  Couldn't we just once get "Now She Knows She's Wrong"?
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2009, 10:59:55 AM »
I found this very funny: They apparently hate the Cars in LA too...

On the Sound's 10@10 Board, someone asked a trivia question and someone else got it right. So the first guy said

And for your prize... A deluxe box set of The Cars' anthology Greatest Hits! You can pick it up at The Sound's office on Wilshire

To which the 2nd guy replied

Then I'd Like To Rescind My Answer!!... unless, of course, it's the only copy the station has. In that case, I would gladly remove it from their premises!

mshray

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2009, 11:15:40 AM »

On the Sound's 10@10 Board, someone asked a trivia question and someone else got it right. So the first guy said

And for your prize... A deluxe box set of The Cars' anthology Greatest Hits! You can pick it up at The Sound's office on Wilshire

Then I'd Like To Rescind My Answer!!... unless, of course, it's the only copy the station has. In that case, I would gladly remove it from their premises!

Too funny!
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2009, 10:42:22 PM »

Too funny!

OMG, that's great.  I don't think we should invade their clubhouse but I'm starting to think we should let them know we exist.  Or at least mention the Facebook club - which has a lot of non-Clubhouse members but hasn't had activity AFAIK.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2009, 07:24:40 AM »

Too funny!

OMG, that's great.  I don't think we should invade their clubhouse but I'm starting to think we should let them know we exist.  Or at least mention the Facebook club - which has a lot of non-Clubhouse members but hasn't had activity AFAIK.

I actually mentioned us in a post there yesterday; dunno if we've had any visitors as a result.