Author Topic: Holiday Radio  (Read 21727 times)

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Holiday Radio
« on: November 27, 2008, 02:18:42 PM »
A new thread to tout the songs and stations whose logs on the fire fill us with desire.

I spent some of this afternoon listening to "Play Xmas UK" (http://www.playradiouk.com/, but I'm listening via iTunes), a station that covers the predictables (JCM's magnificent "I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus"), some considerably less so (a Samantha Mumba fuzzed-up cover of "All I Want for Christmas Is You"), lots of novelties (the finely arranged chestnut "Walkin' Round in Women's Underwear," whose Murphy Brown line kills me every time) and some surprises (FGTH's "Power of Love," not seasonal but seasonally fitting).
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: Holiday Radio
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2008, 09:57:36 PM »
somafm.com (the local SF-based internet radio site) has its Xmas channel up and running. A wild, wacky and wide-ranging assortment (definitely adults-only) and always a treat.

http://somafm.com/
« Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 01:56:56 PM by RGMike »
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2008, 10:03:54 PM »
JCM's magnificent "I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus"

it certainly is... and as I probably say every year, it's one of the few tracks on Very Special Xmas that totally "gets" what the concept was supposed to be: in a nod to the Phil Spector holiday collection, artists were told "cover a seasonal classic in the idiosyncratic sound/style of one of your hits."  JCM nailed it, a few others came close or fudged the concept... and Madonna failed miserably.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2008, 01:54:54 PM »
for those looking for a classical christmas stream: SF's own KDFC has one:

http://kdfc.radiotown.com/christmas2008/

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2008, 04:30:52 PM »
Tonight on Play Xmas UK: Slade's perfectly in-their-style "Merry Xmas Everybody."  Followed, awkwardly, by Wilson Phillips' steam-cleaned "Silent Night."  (I note that the Dixie Chicks' last album was a bit WP-ish in its harmonies, to its detriment.)  The programmers loves 'em some Very Special Christmas.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2008, 04:35:00 PM »
OMFG!  The Crystals doing "The Parade of the Wooden Soldiers"!

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2008, 06:16:41 PM »
A guy named Bob Rivers is singing "O Little Town of Bethlehem" to the tune of "House of the Rising Sun."  Nice for those who are into the Rising Son concept of the day.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2008, 06:19:43 PM »
A guy named Bob Rivers is singing "O Little Town of Bethlehem" to the tune of "House of the Rising Sun."  Nice for those who are into the Rising Son concept of the day.

I think Bob Rivers is the Weird Al of Christmas music. I've heard any number of parodies he's done, most notably the Oh Come All Ye Grateful (Deadheads) that came out a number of years back. His stuff pops up frequently on the SOMA-FM Xmas stream.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2008, 07:30:06 PM »

I think Bob Rivers is the Weird Al of Christmas music. I've heard any number of parodies he's done, most notably the Oh Come All Ye Grateful (Deadheads) that came out a number of years back. His stuff pops up frequently on the SOMA-FM Xmas stream.

And Gaz should know that it was Bob Rivers who was responsible for "Walkin' 'Round in Women's Underwear". He must have at least a dozen Twisted Christmas CDs out by now.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2008, 07:55:02 PM »

And Gaz should know that it was Bob Rivers who was responsible for "Walkin' 'Round in Women's Underwear". He must have at least a dozen Twisted Christmas CDs out by now.

Very good to know - thank you both!

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2008, 08:08:52 PM »

Actually he's been discussed many times here -- you REALLY need to cut back on the weed, my friend. ;)

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2008, 08:02:01 AM »

Actually he's been discussed many times here -- you REALLY need to cut back on the weed, my friend. ;)

::)

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2008, 10:30:13 AM »

I just did a board search - the last time he was mentioned here was in Dec. '05.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2008, 10:42:37 AM »

I just did a board search - the last time he was mentioned here was in Dec. '05.

Fine, but I don't retract the basic sentiment  ;)

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2008, 12:11:45 PM »
first Brenda Lee sighting of the season: she's rockin' around the tree on WLNG. What a fab pop single.