Author Topic: Happy Tom's Diner Day!  (Read 1832 times)

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Happy Tom's Diner Day!
« on: November 18, 2008, 10:03:24 AM »
It was today in 1981 that the New York Post published a story about William Holden's death - which gave Suzanne Vega something to read, and then something to write about, and then something to sing a capella, and then something for DNA to remix, resulting in the nearly unlikeliest of Top 10 hits.

I blogged about it today, but I don't have time to go to the real Tom's Restaurant (112th and B'way) before work today.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: Happy Tom's Diner Day!
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2008, 10:05:47 AM »
It was today in 1981 that the New York Post published a story about William Holden's death - which gave Suzanne Vega something to read, and then something to write about, and then something to sing a capella, and then something for DNA to remix, resulting in the nearly unlikeliest of Top 10 hits.

I blogged about it today, but I don't have time to go to the real Tom's Restaurant (112th and B'way) before work today.

so... it took her HOW MANY YEARS to write that song?
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: Happy Tom's Diner Day!
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2008, 12:28:15 PM »

so... it took her HOW MANY YEARS to write that song?

Just read your blog post. If SV was 22 in 1981, I suppose it's *conceivable* she'd never heard of William Holden.  Or maybe she was pulling a Randy Newman and writing in character.

You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round