Author Topic: Local (and other) radio news  (Read 460192 times)

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
Local radio news
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2005, 11:08:43 AM »
Quote from: "RGMike"
MAX-ing on Wed 6/1/05 -- it's Frampton doing the horny sheep-herder's song, "I'm in Ewe".

Ick.

Not the image, the song.   Okay, both.

I wonder if I can get reception here....
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Local radio news
« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2005, 11:17:31 AM »
Quote from: "Rod"
MAX-ing on Wed 6/1/05 -- it's Frampton doing the horny sheep-herder's song, "I'm in Ewe".

Ick.

95.7 if yer interested.  And they're not bad, especially when they come up with the occasional little-heard zinger.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
Local radio news
« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2005, 12:06:37 PM »
Quote from: "Rod"

Ick.

95.7 if yer interested.  And they're not bad, especially when they come up with the occasional little-heard zinger.

It's just static in downtown SF.  I do have it set on my truck stereo -- they played "The Boys are Back In Town" as I drove to the ferry this morning...
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Local radio news
« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2005, 12:12:19 PM »
Nice piece in the East Bay Express about the impending SF debut of KPIG:

http://www.eastbayexpress.com/Issues/2005-06-01/news/cityofwarts.html

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Local radio news
« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2005, 02:10:50 PM »
nicest MAX surprise of the day (and there have been damn few): Londonbeat, "I've Been Thinkin' About You".

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Local radio news
« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2005, 09:39:13 AM »
nicest MAX surprise of the day (and there have been damn few): Londonbeat, "I've Been Thinkin' About You".

This morning I flipped over just in time for Head East "Never Been Any Reason", which I am pretty sure I have never heard on the radio outside the Midwest.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Local radio news
« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2005, 09:44:31 AM »
Quote from: "mshray"

This morning I flipped over just in time for Head East "Never Been Any Reason", which I am pretty sure I have never heard on the radio outside the Midwest.

I beg to differ. It got a fair amount of airplay in Sacramento in the late 70s & early 80s and can probably still be heard up there on the Eagle, the local classic rock outlet, which I am guessing has not changed its playlist significantly in ten to fifteen years.

ETA: I should add that Sacramento has been often compared to several midwestern cities in attitude and geography, most significantly Kansas City. I don't know if that's a good or bad thing.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Local radio news
« Reply #37 on: June 03, 2005, 09:56:39 AM »
Yesterday I listened to Denver's version of "Jack":

http://www.1055jackfm.com/

which is a bit more pop-heavy than MAX and a bit more '80s-centric.  A better-sounding station, too, imaging-wise. MAX has that actor (the guy who played J Peterman on Seinfeld) doing a lot of sounders and his voice is quite annoying.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Local radio news
« Reply #38 on: June 03, 2005, 01:53:37 PM »
Quote from: "urth"
Quote from: "mshray"

I beg to differ. It got a fair amount of airplay in Sacramento in the late 70s & early 80s and can probably still be heard up there on the Eagle, the local classic rock outlet, which I am guessing has not changed its playlist significantly in ten to fifteen years.

ETA: I should add that Sacramento has been often compared to several midwestern cities in attitude and geography, most significantly Kansas City. I don't know if that's a good or bad thing.

Well I didn't mean that it never got played west of the Rockies, just that since I moved out West in '80 I never heard it again (in Seattle, San Diego, Santa Barbara or here, and that includes a fair amount of hours I've spent listening to the Eagle).

Given that it charted at #68, one spot lower than Pickettywitch, I think this really should qualify as a healthily obscure cut for the Max.

Regarding KC, my mom's family moved there in time for her to go to high school and my grandparents stayed there until the last couple years of their lives.  In the meantime my younger brother went to UMKC for college & med school & has lived there ever since.  So I know KC quite well & it really is one of the nicest cities in the US.  If it had any significant geological attractions (ocean, mountains) it would be even cooler, but I'd say being compared ot KC is a pretty good thing.  Better than being compared to Oklahoma City or Des Moines or Omaha.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Local radio news
« Reply #39 on: June 03, 2005, 02:20:13 PM »
the "Jack"-ification of America continues:

This will be most of interest to Gaz, but WCBS-FM, NYC's longtime oldies station (33 years!) is switching to "Jack" as I write this. End of an era and all that -- and goodbye Micky Dolenz too, I suppose.

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
Local radio news
« Reply #40 on: June 03, 2005, 10:50:02 PM »
I finally changed my car radio preset from now spanish 92.3 KSJO to MAXX. I'm 95% disappointed. Everytime I tune in it's a commercial or two or three and then 80's music or sappy tacky tunes.

Local radio stuff must be heating up. I had a message today from a research company to try and qualify me for a radio focus group later this month. two nights, four hours total, $150 cash.
Sharks bleed teal.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Local radio news
« Reply #41 on: June 04, 2005, 10:52:20 AM »
Quote from: "Alicat"
I finally changed my car radio preset from now spanish 92.3 KSJO to MAXX. I'm 95% disappointed. Everytime I tune in it's a commercial or two or three and then 80's music or sappy tacky tunes.

Local radio stuff must be heating up. I had a message today from a research company to try and qualify me for a radio focus group later this month. two nights, four hours total, $150 cash.

indeed, their commercial blocks are horrendously long. But we may be able to thank them for the fact that KFRC is still Oldies -- KFRC's owners flipped 2 of the biggest oldies stations in the country (in NY and Chicago) to "Jack" yesterday; I suspect that if MAX hadn't beaten them to the punch, KFRC would've been flipped too.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
Max Radio URL
« Reply #42 on: June 04, 2005, 11:25:36 AM »
You can just listen on iTunes by using the "Advanced > Open Stream" command, and just enter http://209.237.251.148:80 as the URL

I guess sometime I'll try to get the WM stream link if you like.  I just prefer iTunes as a media player.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

Gaz via Meadville, PA

Local radio news
« Reply #43 on: June 05, 2005, 07:27:52 PM »

This will be most of interest to Gaz, but WCBS-FM, NYC's longtime oldies station (33 years!) is switching to "Jack" as I write this. End of an era and all that -- and goodbye Micky Dolenz too, I suppose.

I'm still telling myself this is a belated April Fool's Joke.

Goodbye to yer Cousin Brucie as well?

Will report on this when I get back to NYC tomorrow.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Local radio news
« Reply #44 on: June 06, 2005, 07:37:09 AM »
Quote from: "Gaz via Meadville, PA"

I'm still telling myself this is a belated April Fool's Joke.

Goodbye to yer Cousin Brucie as well?

Will report on this when I get back to NYC tomorrow.

Goodbye to everyone who worked there -- "Jack" is, mostly, a jockless format (and therefore a cheap one to operate). It's been quite the topic on the NY Radio Board. Anxious to hear your comments.