Author Topic: Local (and other) radio news  (Read 461610 times)

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
Local radio news
« Reply #45 on: June 06, 2005, 12:49:42 PM »
Got selected for focus group. Listening to KFOG qualified me, along with my age. I have a feeling it could be Bonneville (MAXX) checking out the competition. KPIG?
Sharks bleed teal.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Local radio news
« Reply #46 on: June 06, 2005, 01:33:43 PM »
Quote from: "Alicat"
Got selected for focus group. Listening to KFOG qualified me, along with my age. I have a feeling it could be Bonneville (MAXX) checking out the competition. KPIG?

either one is a good guess. (KFOG does their focus groups via the Registered Fogheads list.)  Or it could be Infinity, trying to decide what to do with 106.whatever (the religious station) when they take it over later this year.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Local radio news
« Reply #47 on: June 07, 2005, 09:10:21 AM »
WCBS's new Jack format is noxious.  I hear FYC's "Suspicious Minds" for the first time since the late '80s, but the transitions are often painful ("U Can't Touch This" into "Photograph"?!) and the absence of a DJ to break things up is annoying to me.  The current crop of music listeners apparently just wants the tunes without the interruptions, but I'm old-school enough to desire a certain feeling of relationship with the DJ.

Is it safe to assume Infinity has one PD doing the programming for every Jack station they own across the nation?  Or are they still programming regionally to allow for regional flavors and local-artists-made-good?
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Local radio news
« Reply #48 on: June 07, 2005, 09:28:58 AM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"
WCBS's new Jack format is noxious.  I hear FYC's "Suspicious Minds" for the first time since the late '80s, but the transitions are often painful ("U Can't Touch This" into "Photograph"?!) and the absence of a DJ to break things up is annoying to me.  The current crop of music listeners apparently just wants the tunes without the interruptions, but I'm old-school enough to desire a certain feeling of relationship with the DJ.

Is it safe to assume Infinity has one PD doing the programming for every Jack station they own across the nation?  Or are they still programming regionally to allow for regional flavors and local-artists-made-good?

Infinity has indeed just promoted someone to "VP of Jack" (yes that's his title!). But the stations are supposedly being programmed to cater to the area.  By all accounts NYC's Jack is harder-edged and more rock-leaning, if the posts on MYRMB are to be believed (although one guy, a former ABC colleague of mine who's apx my age, said he'd "never heard of" Foreigner's "Dirty White Boy" before this week).  

The flip made no sense, especially since, as a hard-edged Jack, the station is directly competing with Infinity's own K-Rock.  But the sales guys (who are all, like, 30) insisted 'CBS-FM's demos were a tough sell. Apparently it happened really quickly because they were caught with their pants down in several other markets -- the rumor is SF's KFRC was set to go Jack the day after MAX debuted (and so the flip was put on ice) and they didn't want someone else to beat them in NY & Chi-Town. WPLJ had been making Jack-like noises for the past month with its "Flush the Format Weekends".

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Local radio news
« Reply #49 on: June 07, 2005, 09:55:59 AM »
Quote from: "RGMike"

Infinity has indeed just promoted someone to "VP of Jack" (yes that's his title!).

I wonder how many "You Don't Know Jack" jokes he hears on a daily basis.

or maybe "I knew Jack, Jack was a friend of mine. You are no Jack."
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Local radio news
« Reply #50 on: June 07, 2005, 11:42:55 AM »
Gaz! there will be an oldies concert and meet-n-greet with Cousin Brucie Fri nite at the Hammerstein ballroom:

http://www.bigfishconcerts.com/meetgreet.htm

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Local radio news
« Reply #51 on: June 07, 2005, 12:37:56 PM »
an analysis of the Jack switch from the Chicago Sun-Times:

http://www.suntimes.com/output/feder/cst-fin-feder07.html

and in related news, Dave Morey has signed a new contract, per Billboard:

KFOG Vet Dave Morey Re-Ups Through 2008
Prominent triple-A KFOG San Francisco re-signs morning host Dave Morey, extending his contract through 2008. He has been a fixture at the station since 1982. "It's hard to imagine KFOG without him," said KFOG PD Dave Benson. "We all look forward to the pleasure of his company and contributions in the coming years."

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
Local radio news
« Reply #52 on: June 07, 2005, 06:39:36 PM »
an analysis of the Jack switch from the Chicago Sun-Times:

http://www.suntimes.com/output/feder/cst-fin-feder07.html

and in related news, Dave Morey has signed a new contract, per Billboard:

KFOG Vet Dave Morey Re-Ups Through 2008
Prominent triple-A KFOG San Francisco re-signs morning host Dave Morey, extending his contract through 2008. He has been a fixture at the station since 1982. "It's hard to imagine KFOG without him," said KFOG PD Dave Benson. "We all look forward to the pleasure of his company and contributions in the coming years."

That's good news...  Yay for Dave.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Local radio news
« Reply #53 on: June 07, 2005, 09:55:20 PM »
Gaz! there will be an oldies concert and meet-n-greet with Cousin Brucie Fri nite at the Hammerstein ballroom:

http://www.bigfishconcerts.com/meetgreet.htm

Ooh!  Wish I could go, but I can't justify the $25-90 tickets, having spent a lot of money over the past week-plus.  Unless I could make a story of it, which I don't imagine right now I can.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Local radio news
« Reply #54 on: June 09, 2005, 12:58:46 PM »
So I've been listening to the Denver version of "Jack" and it's been pretty dull, until now:

OMG! Lisa Lisa and Cult Jam, "Lost in Emotion"! que sera que sera!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Local radio news
« Reply #55 on: June 09, 2005, 01:44:02 PM »
2nd nice "Jack" surprise: MJ, "Human Nature". Nice to know US radio hasn't completely abandoned his stuff.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Local radio news
« Reply #56 on: June 09, 2005, 02:01:11 PM »
OMG!2: Rick Springfield, "Love Somebody". I probably haven't heard this since 1984.

Beej

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
Local radio news
« Reply #57 on: June 10, 2005, 11:23:03 AM »
Now Max 95.7 is playing "Thunder Island". The song DOES exist outside of 10at10!  :D
nakes? On my plane?

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Local radio news
« Reply #58 on: June 15, 2005, 12:21:48 PM »
A more formal, and very insightful, analysis of the JACK format's intents and success in several markets:

http://www.edisonresearch.com/home/archives/Arbitron061405.pdf

(41-page long .pdf, but it's a quick read -- large text + graphics)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Local radio news
« Reply #59 on: June 15, 2005, 12:57:45 PM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"
A more formal, and very insightful, analysis of the JACK format's intents and success in several markets:

http://www.edisonresearch.com/home/archives/Arbitron061405.pdf

(41-page long .pdf, but it's a quick read -- large text + graphics)

I just posted on the NYRMB regarding the endless posts there saying NYC Jack is playing "songs nobody's ever heard of".  Allan Sniffen (who runs the NYRMB) had just posted yet again that the format contains too many "esoteric rock songs". Well, (a) a survey of NYC Jack shows that virtually every song played is/was a chart or airplay hit. I recognized every title, and I'm 50 (and presumably outside the target demo); and anyway, (b) playing songs that folks outside the demo might not know is sorta the point, no?