Author Topic: The Olympics  (Read 2494 times)

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Olympics
« on: August 08, 2008, 01:35:36 PM »
Did anyone else watch the ceremonies today? I suppose it would have been quite/early late in the Bay. The show was quite nice, but the most interesting part (aside from the guy running in mid-air for five minutes to light the torch) was watching the teams enter the stadium with their different faces, clothing, style.... I'm rooting for Seychelles this year. :)

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: The Olympics
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2008, 09:16:03 PM »
I'm sure it was quite a spectacle.  But I just can't help equating celebrating this particular Olympics with celebrating China's brand of totalitarianism, so I'll sit silently on the sidelines.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2008, 07:15:35 AM »
Did anyone else watch the ceremonies today? I suppose it would have been quite/early late in the Bay. The show was quite nice, but the most interesting part (aside from the guy running in mid-air for five minutes to light the torch) was watching the teams enter the stadium with their different faces, clothing, style.... I'm rooting for Seychelles this year. :)
The Olympics are being shown via tape delay in primetime on NBC, then repeated after 1 a.m.  I caught some of the opening ceremony, quite the spectacular.  The thousands of drummers, dancers and the huge screens are almost hypnotizing.  Yes, interesting to see the variety of uniforms/costumes during the parade of nations.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2008, 10:05:00 AM »
art is art is art.  Yes, on one level this is all grand mega-propaganda, no doubt.  But, the rhythms, images, sounds, and oh yes, the fireworks...whatever side of my brain appreciates these things was in overload last night.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!