Author Topic: Casey Kasem American Top 40  (Read 1385626 times)

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
Re: Casey Kasem American Top 40
« Reply #1095 on: March 26, 2009, 08:14:16 PM »
This weekend (3/28-29) Casey70's does March 17, 1973!  The Playlist:
http://www.whnn.com/goout.asp?u=http://images.radcity.net/5874/3574719.pdf

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1096 on: March 26, 2009, 08:42:25 PM »
This weekend (3/28-29) Casey70's does March 17, 1973!  The Playlist:
http://www.whnn.com/goout.asp?u=http://images.radcity.net/5874/3574719.pdf

Woo Hoo! A memorably sledgehammery period of my life produces some lost delights including Judy Collins' lovely "Cook With Honey", Ms. Reddy's "Peaceful" (seek out the British version by Georgie Fame of all people!), Jim Croce's "One Less Set of Footsteps", Bill Withers' "Kissing My Love" and Barbara Mason's written-and-produced-by-Curtis Mayfield "Give Me Your Love". And the Top 40 debuts of "Tie a Yellow Ribbon" and "Night The Lights Went Out in GA" to boot! 
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1097 on: March 26, 2009, 11:10:53 PM »
I've never heard of the Mason track, nor of Joe Stampley's "Soul Song" at #38.  And I realized I forgot to include this week's #2 in my Hits from Hell blog posts!
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1098 on: March 28, 2009, 07:37:48 PM »
I've never heard of the Mason track, nor of Joe Stampley's "Soul Song" at #38. 

Quelle irony! "Soul Song" turns out to have been a #1 Country song. I'd completely forgotten this one. Ree-Ree's "Master of Eyes" is another of her minor ones, IMHO. And while Diana Ross is no Billie Holliday (even tho' Motown spent millions to get her that Oscar nom), her version of "Good Morning Heartache" is quite lovely on its own terms.

But all hail 2 great lost soul singles back-to-back: Mr Withers' "When I'm Kissin' My Love" -- put ya foot on the rock! -- and Barbara Mason's cover of "Give Me Your Love", one of the great forgotten songs from Superfly.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1099 on: March 28, 2009, 08:01:41 PM »
Johnny Nash lights a fire by, er, pushing his wood.  Nice euphemism, bub.

Earlier, Casey played Alice Cooper and called him "one of the 2 strangest acts in music -- and they're both in the countdown this week!" So... who's the other one? Bowie? Elton? Dr Hook?

Yeah, Bowie, I guess.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1100 on: March 28, 2009, 09:00:18 PM »
Cute, Casey, cute: He intros "Ain't No Woman Like the One-Eyed Gott" as being by... The Four Dreidels. Which reminds that we just missed hearing Don McLean's "Dreidel" as it fell out of the 40 this week -- indeed it fell completely off the Hot 100 from #29.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1101 on: March 29, 2009, 10:59:07 AM »
I realized I forgot to include this week's #2 in my Hits from Hell blog posts!

What's not to like about banjos??  ::)  Have you ever heard the Martin Mull parody, "Dueling Tubas"? Hilarious.

Meant to mention last nite that (back-to-back at #s 1 & 2) Casey played the looooong versions of both "Dueling Banjos" and Ms Flack's ode to Don McLean.

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1102 on: April 01, 2009, 08:22:15 PM »
This weekend (4/4-5) on Casey70's its April 8, 1978; includes some dearly departed such as England Dan, two from Chuck Mangione's band (recent Buffalo NY jet crash), the bassist for ELO, plus Paul Davis, Lou Rawls, Donnie Hathaway, Andy Gibb.  The Playlist:
http://www.957kjrfm.com/pages/events.html?feed=111843&article=4192995

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1103 on: April 02, 2009, 08:42:59 AM »
some dearly departed such as ... two from Chuck Mangione's band (recent Buffalo NY jet crash)

Yikes - I hadn't heard about this!  But indeed:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29183838/
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1104 on: April 02, 2009, 09:10:36 PM »
This weekend (4/4-5) on Casey70's its April 8, 1978

Some forgotten gems like Player's lost follow-up, "This Time I'm In It For Love", Dolly's "2 Doors Down", Lou Rawls' shoulda-been-a-Spinners-record, "Lady Love", KC's "Boogie Shoes" (later revived in Boogie Nights) and the aforementioned Dan Seals with JFC on "We'll Never Have To Say Goodbye Again". Can't wait!

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1105 on: April 04, 2009, 09:53:56 AM »
I tuned into a Canadian stream at 9 AM to listen, but I didn't hear the first four tunes:

#40 “BABY HOLD ON” – Eddie Money
#39 “JUST THE WAY YOU ARE” – Billy Joel
#38 “FANTASY” – Earth, Wind & Fire
#37 “THIS TIME I’M IN IT FOR LOVE” – Player

Maybe the metric conversion reduces the AT40 to the AT36?

-Styx's Fooling Yourself was about 90 seconds long.  No one is fooling anyone w that edit. The Trammps' Disco Inferno was about 2:30. Not even enough time to get my leisure suit even slightly sweaty from dancing.
-The Rubicon tune vocalist sounds a lot like the Doobies' Tom Johnston.  nice OHW
-Casey says Paul Davis' I Go Crazy is the slowest upward moving hit in AT40 history, "literally inching its way up the charts." ugh

Lots to enjoy here: Sat Night Fever tunes, Andrew "AM" Gold, Chuck Mangione  as was mentioned earlier (a Rochester NY native!).  oh yeah..!
« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 05:23:03 PM by Tinka_Cat »
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1106 on: April 04, 2009, 10:29:32 AM »

-Casey says Paul Davis' I Go Crazy is the slowest upward moving hit in AT40 history, "literally inching its way up the charts." ugh

For a number of years it was one of (if not *the*) single with the most weeks on the Hot 100. I think "Tainted Love" may have beaten it later on (and then someone else even later) -- Gaz knows the deets on this one.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1107 on: April 04, 2009, 12:40:30 PM »

For a number of years it was one of (if not *the*) single with the most weeks on the Hot 100. I think "Tainted Love" may have beaten it later on (and then someone else even later) -- Gaz knows the deets on this one.

Mike is correct: "Tainted Love" beat "I Go Crazy"'s weeks streak.  They were overtaken, I think, by Synch's "Where Are You Now" if you count its two separate chart runs together; either way, the mark was later topped by, IIRC, Sophie B. Hawkins' "As I Lay Me Down," Savage Garden's "Truly Madly Deeply," and maybe "Macarena."  The record is now held by either LeAnn Rimes' "How Do I Live" or Jewel's double-sided hit "You Were Meant for Me"/"These Foolish Games."  I think LeAnn has the lead - something like 71 weeks.

And I'm willing to give Casey a pass on "literally" IF the physical Billboard chart at the time spaced its entries an inch apart.  :)

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1108 on: April 04, 2009, 07:52:35 PM »
I'd forgotten what a nice lyric that Gordon Lightfoot "Circle is Small" tune had. Glad we got to hear it during its brief stay in the Top 40.

And now Olivia N-J says she needs a man. Sorry, Livvy -- that's not what *I've* heard.  In any case Travolta's not the best choice (unless your Thetan levels are thru the roof).  A fab first hour!

But how sad is it that "the highest-debuting record in the history of AT40" is Wings' "With a Little Luck"?
« Last Edit: April 04, 2009, 07:57:01 PM by RGMike »

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1109 on: April 05, 2009, 10:27:34 AM »
-Styx's Fooling Yourself was about 90 seconds long.  No one is fooling anyone w that edit. The Trammps' Disco Inferno was about 2:30. Not even enough time to get my leisure suit even slight sweaty from dancing.

By 1978 there were a LOT more edits than in, say, 1972. And *bad* edits at that. Which is why the show went to 4 hours later in the year. I lost count of how many there were today; they really butchered "Always & Forever".

The closer Roberta gets to Donny
The more he wants to jump...

BDPOW (Best dead person of week): Dan Seals.