Author Topic: Casey Kasem American Top 40  (Read 1385663 times)

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: Casey Kasem American Top 40
« Reply #960 on: February 07, 2009, 08:42:46 AM »
"Oh, he's so macho": Had Elton come out as bi in Rolling Stone by the time this charted?  I haven't heard "Grow Some Funk of Your Own" in years.  Used to skip over it on his GH comp.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #961 on: February 07, 2009, 08:49:18 AM »
BOS: "Wake Up Everybody."  I have probably said this here before, but I have a very fond, vivid memory of, shortly after my arrival in SF in fall '96, recording this off one of Dave's 10@10s and then listening to it while walking through the Tenderloin famers' market.  (And you thought it was impossible to have fond memories of the Tenderloin.)  The song was NTM and I was already grateful to Dave for what he was fast turning me on to - '70s soul, mostly.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #962 on: February 07, 2009, 09:26:28 AM »
Neil Sedaka's in at #9 with his "Breaking Up Is Hard to Do" revamp.  Great arrangement; the vocal, not so much.  At least he sings better than that twit Anka.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #963 on: February 07, 2009, 09:57:05 AM »
BOS: "Wake Up Everybody."  ...  Dave's 10@10s ... while walking through the Tenderloin famers' market.  (And you thought it was impossible to have fond memories of the Tenderloin.)

I credit Dave w turning me on to Harold Melvin, too!

Tenderloin Farmer's Market?  You mean the one in Urine Plaza on Market Street?

~CPL593H~

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #964 on: February 07, 2009, 11:02:12 AM »
As an aside: This week's Chart Beat Chat from billboard.com had this interesting tale:

I remember listening to the show that week; it was one "WTF?" after another, as songs that were on the way up suddenly dropped back and vice-versa. I particularly remember "Kodachrome", a huge fave of mine at that moment, suddenly stopping its upward momentum -- "That can't be POSSIBLE!" I screamed to an empty room. (Yeah, I was a hopeless chart geek.)
« Last Edit: February 07, 2009, 11:04:01 AM by RGMike »
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #965 on: February 07, 2009, 11:51:53 AM »
Ooh, a favorite of mine at #19: Helen Reddy's "Somewhere in the Night."  Barry Manilow would do slightly better 3 years later, changing the lyric slightly (from "music to magic to end" to "music to my gentle wind") and aiming squarely for payoff notes.

I don't recall the lyric change -- I'll have to dig out the Manilow version (I'll assume you've got a typo there: Helen's was "music too magic to end"). But if Barry has a "gentle wind" problem, he should try Bean-O.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #966 on: February 07, 2009, 07:56:30 PM »
"Yeah... she's at home..." Big Barry lets the music play OWN! One of my faves of his; shame it only got to #32. Followed by Chaka -- love her now, or she'll go crazy. And you do NOT want that.

But OMG: "Junk Food Junkie" is the flashback of the week for me.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #967 on: February 07, 2009, 08:32:44 PM »
The Brothers Gibb say "Love, be tender with my fanny"; I suspect Toni Tenille's fanny got rougher treatment from Daryl D. And -- awwww! -- it's their 2nd wedding anniv. But "Lonely Night (Angel Face)" always struck me as an odd song.

And from "Angel Face" to "Baby Face " -- middle-aged gay men, rejoice!
« Last Edit: February 07, 2009, 08:35:38 PM by RGMike »

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #968 on: February 08, 2009, 06:48:44 AM »
"Lonely Night (Angel Face)" always struck me as an odd song.

Know what you mean - Sedacky basically pasted two unrelated tunes together to create that song.  C&T got away with one.

Casey's '80s are in 1981 this week.  Blondie debuts at 32 with "Rapture" while Andy Gibb staggers through one of his last chart efforts, "Time Is Time."

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #969 on: February 08, 2009, 07:09:32 AM »
Someone just sent out "Freebird" as a LDD.  Excuse me while I go gag.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #970 on: February 08, 2009, 07:24:44 AM »
"Love on the Rocks" may be one of Neil Diamond's most underappreciated efforts.  For all his bad lyrics - and he's had a few - these are quite good: "Pour me a drink, and I'll tell you some lies" ... "And when they know they have you, then they really have you; nothing you can do or say, you've got to leave, just get away.  We all know the song ..."

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #971 on: February 08, 2009, 08:31:13 AM »
BOS to the infinite sadness of ABBA's "The Winner Takes It All."

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #972 on: February 08, 2009, 08:50:17 AM »
Proxy Mike BOS to Dan Fogelberg, "Same Old Lang Syne," I'm guessing.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #973 on: February 08, 2009, 09:22:21 AM »
Wow, hearing the wishing-bell opening to John Lennon's "(Just Like) Starting Over" at #7 in this context was like a punch in the gut.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #974 on: February 08, 2009, 11:48:18 AM »
"Love on the Rocks" may be one of Neil Diamond's most underappreciated efforts.  For all his bad lyrics - and he's had a few - these are quite good: "Pour me a drink, and I'll tell you some lies" ... "And when they know they have you, then they really have you; nothing you can do or say, you've got to leave, just get away.  We all know the song ..."

Amazingly, I've never seen his Jazz Singer remake, but I agree, the songs hold up well -- and that none of 'em was Oscar-nommed is yet another Academy scandal.