Author Topic: Casey Kasem American Top 40  (Read 1386186 times)

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: Casey Kasem American Top 40
« Reply #915 on: January 17, 2009, 07:08:49 AM »
Most unnecessary of set: Donny & Marie giving the karaoke treatment to "(You're My) Soul & Inspiration."
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #916 on: January 17, 2009, 07:31:42 AM »
NTM: Wings' "Girls' School."  Perhaps should have stayed that way.  Cringe.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #917 on: January 17, 2009, 08:27:59 AM »
WOS: Neil Diamond, "Desiree."  He makes a deflowering ick-fest even worse by placing the third of June in summer.  Does he work off a different calendar?

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #918 on: January 17, 2009, 09:02:32 AM »
"Smack dab in the middle!" "Ready to learn, ready to learn!"  You can't turn off High Inergy's inspired outro.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #919 on: January 17, 2009, 09:16:43 AM »
WOS: Neil Diamond, "Desiree."  He makes a deflowering ick-fest even worse by placing the third of June in summer.  Does he work off a different calendar?

Jewish calendar...  Didn't you see The Jazz Singer remake?  ;)

I'm an honorary Jew: I lived in Brooklyn for 3.5 years.
~CPL593H~

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #920 on: January 17, 2009, 09:22:12 AM »
BOS Eric Carmen Shaun Cassidy, "Hey Deanie."  I'm not convinced that isn't actually Eric singing.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #921 on: January 17, 2009, 09:36:29 AM »
BOS2 "You're in My Heart."  Say what you want about the lyrics, at least it's imaginative; and the violin and electric piano are gorgeous to my ears.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #922 on: January 17, 2009, 09:38:51 AM »
BOS Eric Carmen Shaun Cassidy, "Hey Deanie."  I'm not convinced that isn't actually Eric singing.

I think it sounds like brother David Cassidy singing. 

And is Deanie a boy or girl? 
« Last Edit: January 17, 2009, 09:55:32 AM by Tinka_Cat »
~CPL593H~

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #923 on: January 17, 2009, 09:41:39 AM »
I hadn't realized "Here You Come Again" (unh! unh!) was a Mann/Weill composition.  Mike has often referred to this as a Petula Clark homage, and I can really hear that today.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #924 on: January 17, 2009, 09:56:57 AM »
BOSs 3 and 4 to Dolly and the new #1, Player, "Baby Come Back."  Phenom production, great hook.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #925 on: January 17, 2009, 10:27:31 AM »
I hadn't realized "Here You Come Again" (unh! unh!) was a Mann/Weill composition.  Mike has often referred to this as a Petula Clark homage, and I can really hear that today.

Indeed, I heard Ms Clark's "I Couldn't Live Without Your Love" on 'LNG recently and the Dolly tune immediately came to mind.

Regarding the Wings tune: "Girls School" was the A-side and "Mull of Kintyre" was the flip -- Capitol thought "Mull" was too British for US consumption, so "School" (one of Paul's more worthless throwaway rockers) was promoted in the US. "Mull", of course, was the biggest-selling UK single ever, at the time.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #926 on: January 17, 2009, 10:41:22 AM »
WOS: Neil Diamond, "Desiree."  He makes a deflowering ick-fest even worse by placing the third of June in summer. 

Clearly, it's an hommage to "Ode to Billie Joe".  At least Desiree didn't have a julep in her two lips.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #927 on: January 17, 2009, 07:25:46 PM »
Most unnecessary of set: Donny & Marie giving the karaoke treatment to "(You're My) Soul & Inspiration."

I hadn't heard that one since '78 and it's truly worthless. Marie's NutraSystem commercials are more sincere. Speaking of karaoke, Elvis' "My Way" is another completely unnecessary cover.

And did anyone else find it odd that Casey was gushing over Stevie Wonder with "not since the Beatles has any act so dominated the music business" (!) on the very week that the BeeGees are about to, y'know, actually achieve that -- 2 singles in the Top 20 and another not far off, not to mention the "SNF" LP and producing/writing credit on Samantha Sang's "Emotion" and brother Andy's "Love is Thicker than My Penis".

ETA: I also note that they seem to have replaced announcer Ed McMann with someone named Mike Kasem. Hmmm... d'ya think?
« Last Edit: January 17, 2009, 09:06:52 PM by RGMike »

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #928 on: January 18, 2009, 09:17:40 AM »
Casey's '80s go back to this week in January 1983.  Two NTM (Ray Parker Jr. at 40 with "Bad Boy" and Kim Carnes at 36 with "Does It Make You Remember?"), some period faves of mine ("Goody Two Shoes," "Steppin' Out," "Pass the Dutchie") but Best Flashback of Set goes to Patti Austin and James Ingram, "Baby, Come to Me," one I hadn't heard in years.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2009, 09:36:51 AM by Gazoo »

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #929 on: January 24, 2009, 07:49:34 AM »
This weekend (1/24-25) Casey70's visits Jan 22, 1972. The Playlist:
http://www.whnn.com/goout.asp?u=http://images.radcity.net/5874/3417161.pdf