Author Topic: Casey Kasem American Top 40  (Read 1386138 times)

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: Casey Kasem American Top 40
« Reply #420 on: September 13, 2008, 11:50:08 AM »
"When your body's had enough of me ... I'm gonna love you a little bit more."  What a revolting sentiment from Dr. Hook.

When your body's had enough of me... it's no longer hard!
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: September 13, 2008, 07:07:29 PM »
Early BOS for Eric Carmen at #40 with the Brian Wilson meets Todd Rundgren "Sunrise."

with a healthy dollop of EJ's "Funeral For a Friend/Love Lies Bleeding" at the end!

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: September 13, 2008, 07:21:24 PM »
"For 6.98/Boy, ya sound so great"

Wow, I'd *completely* forgotten about "Superstar", Paul Davis' pre-"I Go Crazy" hit, a love letter to Elton and Stevie (and Linda and Joni, tho' this edit omits their verse).

Ditto Helen Reddy's disco-y "I Can't Hear You No More"
« Last Edit: September 13, 2008, 07:38:02 PM by RGMike »

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: September 13, 2008, 08:22:48 PM »
the "faceless" Steve Miller is followed by an energyless James Taylor, who wants to golden-shower the people. "That'll Be The Day", sez Ms Ronstadt.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: September 13, 2008, 08:37:33 PM »
Perhaps the 2 most unjustly forgotten Top 20 hits in this countdown appear back-to-back:  Silver's delightful "Wham Bam" (which lost its "Shang-A-Lang" several weeks earlier when Arista changed the title on later pressings) at 19; and the Ohio Players' great "Who'd She Coo?" at 18. Would that the latter got half as much airplay as "Fire" or "Love Rolly-coaster".

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: September 13, 2008, 08:57:12 PM »
"When your body's had enough of me ... I'm gonna love you a little bit more."  What a revolting sentiment from Dr. Hook.

While that line does seem a bit, er, unappetizing -- especially if you know what Ray Sawyer looked like -- this song really isn't all that far removed from the blue-collar reverie of Alice Cooper's "You & Me".

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: September 13, 2008, 09:57:52 PM »
I'm not talkin' 'bout the linen -- I'm talkin' 'bout ED&JFC and one of the Greatest. Mondegreens. EVAH!

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: September 14, 2008, 10:36:18 AM »
Casey's '80s went back to 1980, where Diana Ross held #1 for a third week respectfully with "Upside Down."  I had forgotten who did "Lookin' for Love" (Johnny Lee, in at #5).
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: September 18, 2008, 10:17:28 AM »
This weekend (9/20-21) Casey70's visits Sept 12, 1970 (includes "Rubber Duckie")! The playlist: http://www.wbbgfm.com/pages/pp_caseykasem.html
And for those new to these "AT40" replays, a list of stations around the country airing "AT40-The 70s" so you can listen on air or online at a time convenient for you:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_stations_that_air_Casey_Kasem's_American_Top_40:_The_70's
And list of stations airing his original '80's countdown shows:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_stations_that_air_Casey_Kasem%27s_American_Top_40:_The_80%27s
« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 10:46:57 AM by Wayback »

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: September 18, 2008, 10:19:34 AM »
This weekend (9/20-21) Casey70's visits Sept 12, 1970 (includes "Rubber Duckie")! The playlist: http://www.wbbgfm.com/pages/pp_caseykasem.html

Damn, that is one fabulous collection of hits and semi-hits.  I have theater tix Sat nite and may have to miss most of it, unless I set the alarm for 6AM Sat morning.

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: September 18, 2008, 10:25:05 AM »
Damn, that is one fabulous collection of hits and semi-hits.  I have theater tix Sat nite and may have to miss most of it, unless I set the alarm for 6AM Sat morning.
Listen at 6AM!  Pretend you're up early to go fishing (for great oldies)!

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: September 18, 2008, 06:53:34 PM »
Exactly.  Even if you spend that first hour lying on your couch half-awake with a coffee mug in your hands, it's a wonderful reason to start the weekend at that painful hour.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: September 20, 2008, 10:42:52 AM »
Exactly.  Even if you spend that first hour lying on your couch half-awake with a coffee mug in your hands, it's a wonderful reason to start the weekend at that painful hour.

Well, I did indeed set the alarm for 6, and it was worth it (spent the entire show in bed, about 80% conscious, but still). Highlights:

#39 - Chairmen of the Board, "Everything's Tuesday", which Casey called a "smash" -- little did he know it would peak at 38.
#31 - "Long Long Time", Ms. Ronstadt's lovely first Top 40 solo hit.
#30 - Mike Nesmith's "Joanne", his ONLY solo hit.
#29 - "Neanderthal Man" by Hotlegs, who would morph into 10cc.
#27 - the post-Diana Supes' forgotten "Everybody's Got the Right To Love"
#15 - Tom Jones' histrionic "I (Who Have Nothing)"
#11 - "Candida", Dawn (before Mr Orlando got top billing) with a most glorious hommage to the Brill Building in general and the Drifters in particular.
#7 - "Julie Do Ya Love Me?", which provided the "WTF?" anecdote of the week: Bobby Sherman was, er, "discovered" singing at a Malibu party by... Sal Mineo! Knowing what we know now, it makes ya go "Hmmm..."

But the biggest treat was indeed "Rubber Duckie" -- despite being a Top 20 single, none of NYC's 3 Top 40 stations ever played it.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: September 21, 2008, 08:18:28 AM »
Yeah, truly a shame that "Tuesday" didn't go higher.  Guess it was feeling woozy.

But speaking of Higher, Ike & Tina's rushed-through take on "I Want to Take You Higher" slips to 38.  I'm amazed that it outcharted the original.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: September 21, 2008, 08:58:33 AM »
I'd been aware of Hot Legs but had never actually heard "Neanderthal Man" until now.  Instantly in my WOAT list.  Dumb, dumb, dumb.  And the vocals were poorly recorded on that home production.