Author Topic: Casey Kasem American Top 40  (Read 1385744 times)

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: Casey Kasem American Top 40
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2008, 09:55:54 PM »
HEY!  Casey just called "Boogie Down" Eddie Kendricks' first major solo hit!  Did he forget about "Keep On Truckin'?"

Eddie's love must've flooded Casey's Watergate.

I don't remember this story about the Beach Boys recording "Seasons in the Sun". Would it have ruined their reputation -- or enhanced the song's?
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2008, 09:59:45 PM »
pre-emptive "misty water-color mem'ries" JINX.

Maybe MWCM could become another acronym -- anytime a song makes us swoony with nostalgia.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2008, 10:08:40 PM »
Dunno if you're staying up, but there's always JJ on KPOO.  Miss Mavis is feelin' like a Butterfinger.  I'm a Snickers man myself.

SFGuy

« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2008, 11:28:12 PM »
I don't like the #1 song of that 1974 chart. Too me that's a hit from hell. I'm enjoying the XM one this week better from March 10, 1979 a lot more then the songs listed on March 2, 1974, although there was a lot of disco that chart. Top 3 were - I will Survive at 1, Do You Think I'm Sexy? at 2 and Tragedy at 3.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2008, 02:48:02 AM by SFGuy »

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2008, 10:29:50 AM »
Casey's '80s chart this week is March 14, 1981. Tierra's long-forgotten cover of the Intruders' "Together" was a delight, but I'm astounded to see that Fogelberg's seasonal "Same Old Lang Syne" is still in the Top 40 in mid-March.

uh-oh, Somebody's Knockin'  -- oh wait, it's just Terri Gibbs bumping into walls again.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2008, 10:32:25 AM »
OMGWTFLOL! Treat of the week, hands down: the late Phil Seymour (onetime Dwight Twilley sideman) with his wonderful Framptonesque "Precious To Me".

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2008, 11:33:00 AM »
Cliff Richard is "A Little In Love". That's sorta like being "a little pregnant" or "a little gay", eh Cliff?

and now we enter the Moreytrina portion of our countdown: APP's "Games People Play" and Blondie's "Tide is High" back-to-back at 16 and 15, respectively.  But H&O and Streisand/Gibb are on the way.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2008, 11:57:47 AM by RGMike »

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2008, 11:56:23 AM »
talk about a forgotten hit: Stevie's pseudo-country "I Ain't Gonna Stand For It", which peaked at a respectable #11 and hasn't gotten airplay since.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2008, 12:20:30 PM »
"I don't wanna talk..." about ABBA's "Winner Takes it All" at #8.  I think The Streep gets to sing this in the Mamma Mia! movie.  And speaking of movies, Dolly's "9 To 5" is #1 on this chart. But not before we slog thru the AOR cheeze of Styx's "Best of Times" and REO's Keep On Loving You".

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 16, 2008, 04:10:46 PM »
Barry Scott kicks off tonight with Helen Reddy For The World, "Ruby Red Dress": "Leave me alone, God," as opposed to Napoleon Dynamite, "Leave me alone! God!"
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 16, 2008, 05:15:32 PM »
Barry Scott kicks off tonight with Helen Reddy For The World, "Ruby Red Dress": "Leave me alone, God," as opposed to Napoleon Dynamite, "Leave me alone! God!"

however, Ruby and Napoleon both "broke down to a fool".  What'd ya think of my theory that Diana's "Last Time I Saw Him" was very Reddy-esque and woulda made a fine follow-up to RRD?

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 17, 2008, 07:51:51 AM »
People, playlists do not get more eclectic than this

I know you hate TTH's "I Love", but he's otherwise a great songwriter and worth investigating.

TANC of the Week: someone performed Tom T Hall's "I Like Beer" on the morning show, and a Foghead called to remind Dave that TTH wrote the classic "Harper Valley PTA". Reason enuf to seek out his catalog.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 17, 2008, 08:18:34 AM »

however, Ruby and Napoleon both "broke down to a fool".  What'd ya think of my theory that Diana's "Last Time I Saw Him" was very Reddy-esque and woulda made a fine follow-up to RRD?

It would have been a far better fit.  Or even for Tony Orlando and Dawn, if he'd ever let the gals have a lead vocal.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 17, 2008, 09:45:11 AM »

I know you hate TTH's "I Love", but he's otherwise a great songwriter and worth investigating.

TANC of the Week: someone performed Tom T Hall's "I Like Beer" on the morning show, and a Foghead called to remind Dave that TTH wrote the classic "Harper Valley PTA". Reason enuf to seek out his catalog.

Ah, I heard that last week (I think today they played a recording of that performance--it was on when my alarm went off this am). The performer was one of the bartenders (or maybe a manager?) from 21st Amendment Brewery, and he came along with one of the owners of said pub, who an occasional guest on the Morning Show discussing beer. The guy who did the TTH song did a pretty decent job of it for a non-pro.
Let's get right to it.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 17, 2008, 10:49:06 AM »

Ah, I heard that last week (I think today they played a recording of that performance--it was on when my alarm went off this am). The performer was one of the bartenders (or maybe a manager?) from 21st Amendment Brewery, and he came along with one of the owners of said pub, who an occasional guest on the Morning Show discussing beer. The guy who did the TTH song did a pretty decent job of it for a non-pro.

It was the 21st Amendment manager, Lloyd*, who came in with co-founder & official Morning Show Beer Guy Shaun O' Sullivan.  Dave said on Fri that Lloyd had performed the song for them a few times before, but that time was by far the best.

*"No, I'm not a professional musician."
« Last Edit: March 17, 2008, 10:50:40 AM by mshray »
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010