Author Topic: CG/KPOO/KCDX etcetcetc for the week of 2/25/08  (Read 8383 times)

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: CG/KPOO/KCDX etcetcetc for the week of 2/25/08
« Reply #15 on: February 29, 2008, 10:48:12 AM »
While I'm waiting for CGSS at noon, I'm checking out NYC's WRXP, their new Triple-A (-ish) station.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 29, 2008, 11:43:49 AM »
While I'm waiting for CGSS at noon, I'm checking out NYC's WRXP, their new Triple-A (-ish) station.

after 45 mins I can say: definitely harder-edged than your typical Triple-A (KFOG, KBCO, The Peak). Aerosmith, Big Audio Dynamite, Jane's Addiction, some new stuff i didn't recognize.  Oldest thing I heard: early-'70s Allmans. Closest to an "oh wow!" song: the Kinks' "... Fly Like Superman".  And here's JCM with Me'shell.  But I haven't heard a single "Corinne Colbie Feist" song, and that's a *good* thing, as Martha Stewart would say.

should you care: http://www.1019rxp.com/  ...Click on the headphones.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2008, 11:52:31 AM by RGMike »

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 29, 2008, 11:58:32 AM »
Sweeney just made my day by ending his show with S&G's "Baby Driver"....

... and Greg kicks off with Otis, "Mr. Pitiful"! Lawd!
« Last Edit: February 29, 2008, 12:03:04 PM by RGMike »

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 29, 2008, 12:21:18 PM »
Mike, just curious. Remember how CG used to periodically ask for a UK postal code to verify your residence before you could launch their player? Have you been asked for that lately? Or maybe they've decided they don't care after all.

(Always had to laugh, as the window where they asked for this info contained the address of the Capital radio group--and their postal code, which I would dutifully copy into the response field.)
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 29, 2008, 12:47:28 PM »
Mike, just curious. Remember how CG used to periodically ask for a UK postal code to verify your residence before you could launch their player? Have you been asked for that lately? Or maybe they've decided they don't care after all.

(Always had to laugh, as the window where they asked for this info contained the address of the Capital radio group--and their postal code, which I would dutifully copy into the response field.)

haven't been asked since before they switched to the new name/website/player.  I think that whole thing fell by the wayside. They were certainly happy to sell me a T-shirt last month.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 29, 2008, 01:01:00 PM »
Salt'n'Pepa, "Let's Talk About Sex", bay-bee!

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 29, 2008, 02:26:52 PM »

I was grateful for that; I'm sure it was their wink'n'nod response to that silly requirement.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 29, 2008, 02:50:05 PM »
Jim Gilstrap's delightful "Swing Your Daddy", a mid-charter here but a Top Ten single in the UK -- written by Kenny Nolan (!). Gilstrap was also the unidentified singer doing the opening vocal lines of Stevie's "You Are The Sunshine of My Life".

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2008, 06:59:10 AM »
Casey takes us back to February 26, 1972.  Solid set so far - only new one to me being the Detroit Emeralds' "You Want It, You Got It."    Melanie had a total of 6 Top 40 hits but 3 of them show up here: We've yet to hear the former #1 "Brand New Key," but we got its follow-up on Buddah, "The Nickel Song," at 36, and at 34, on Neighborhood, "Ring the Living Bell."  Not clear on her label situation.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2008, 07:00:43 AM »
Betty Wright was only 18 (and a JuCo student!) when she released "The Clean-Up Woman"!

Also, we got the English Congregation a little bit.  Not to be confused with the Mike Curb Congregation.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2008, 07:05:09 AM »
The Iceman cometh!  Jerry Butler ain't understanding mellow! (With help from Brenda Lee Eager.)  Nice groove, reminds me of "The Sly, the Slick, and the Wicked."  And I just noticed that he had the original charting version of "(Mr.) Dream Merchant."

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2008, 07:33:24 AM »
Mike, you'll want to catch this if only for Carly's "Ayn-ti-ci-pa-ya-ya-tion."

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2008, 07:38:56 AM »
"Floy Joy"!  At 18.  And always makes me think of

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2008, 07:47:14 AM »
At 16 and new to me: Bee Gees, "My World."  Great harmonies, nonsense lyrics.  Only its third week in the Top 40, but this is where it would peak.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2008, 08:41:36 AM »
Cringe: the Osmonds' "Down by the Lazy River" at 5.