Author Topic: The Return of the Xmas TV Special Quiz  (Read 3545 times)

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Return of the Xmas TV Special Quiz
« on: December 16, 2007, 09:52:19 PM »
This is an expanded and (I hope) improved version of a quiz I once posted on the old board.  I sent this to Dave & the Morning show crew, so keep an ear out for it in case they use it for the 9:00 Pop Quiz or something.  Feel free to enlist the help of your kids or anyone else's kids that you can get a hold of.  If anyone wants to pass this along to family-friends-coworkers & would like me to email them a Word doc with good formatting, just ping me.

Christmas Special Trivia

If you grew up in the 70’s or 80’s you undoubtedly watched the following Christmas specials time and time again, and if you have kids now you probably own them on DVD:  A Charlie Brown Christmas, Frosty The Snowman, How the Grinch Stole Christmas, Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer and Santa Claus Is Comin’ To Town.  Here are a few trivia questions which ought to take you back.

Part I – All Together

1.)   These 5 specials originally came out over just a 7-year period, from 1964 -1970.  Put them in chronological order from first to last.
2.)   All but A Charlie Brown Christmas were narrated by famous actors or singers.  Name them.
3.)   For which of the above narrators was the Christmas special in question his last significant TV/Film performance?
4.)   Which title song had already been a Billboard #1 hit?
5.)   Which TV network originally aired most of these specials?

Part II – A Charlie Brown Christmas

6.)   When Charlie Brown visits Lucy’s 5-cent Psychiatry stand, she catalogs a list of phobias and explains each one.  Which one does Charlie Brown agree he suffers from & what is it?
a.   Ailurophasia
b.   Climacaphobia
c.   Gephyrobia
d.   Pantophobia
e.   Thalassophobia
7.)   Lucy commiserates with Charlie Brown, telling him she never gets what she really wants for Christmas, either.  What does she answer when Charlie Brown asks her, “What do you really want?”
8.)   When Sally asks Charlie Brown to help her write Santa a note, she offers to make it easy on Santa and only asks for what?
9.)   At the rehearsal, when all the kids are dancing around to the classic Vince Guaraldi tune “Linus & Lucy”, Schroeder of course is playing piano. Two other characters are playing playing guitar and upright bass.  Name either one of them & match them to the instrument.
10.)   What kind of tree do the children tell Charlie Brown to get?
11.)   In the climactic scene where Linus retells the story of the angel appearing to the shepherds from Luke 2:8-14, he does something highly uncharacteristic.  What?
12.)   Which Christmas carol do all the kids sing at the end?

Part III – How the Grinch Stole Christmas

13.)   Where does the Grinch live?
a.   The North Pole
b.   Just north of Whoville
c.   Mt. Crumpit
d.   The Mtn of the Whispering Winds
14.)   What is the name of the Grinch’s dog?
15.)   Within 5 years, how long has the Grinch had to put up with Christmas?
16.)   What is the name of the little Who that sees the Grinch stealing her tree, and how old is she?
17.)   Which three words best describe the Grinch?
18.)   The song “You’re a Mean One, Mr. Grinch” was sung by Thurl Ravenscroft, who passed away in 2005.  He voiced many characters in Disney movies and is one of the voices in the Pirates of the Caribbean ride at Disneyland.  He is best known, however, for voicing which iconic cartoon animal with a 2-word catch-phrase?
19.)   On Christmas Day, the Grinch undergoes not one, but two physical transformations.  The audience is told what only one of them is, the other you have to observe for yourself.  What are they?

Part IV – Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer

20.)   There’s Dasher & Dancer & Prancer & Vixen; Comet & Cupid & Donner & Blitzen.  Which one is Rudolph’s father and which is Rudolph’s coach (the one who disallows Rudolph from ‘joining any reindeer games’)?
21.)   Aside from being the only elf who doesn’t want to make toys, Hermey is different in what physical way from all the other elves?
22.)   Rudolph and Hermey make a deal to do what “together”?
23.)   How thick did Yukon Cornelius say the fog was?  How did Hermey correct him?
24.)   What is the name of the King of the Island of Misfit Toys?
25.)   Why didn’t Yukon Cornelius & the Abominable Snow Monster perish when they fell into the crevasse?
26.)   Over the closing credits Santa is delivering the Misfit Toys.  What bonus item do the toys to come with?

Part V – Santa Claus Is Comin’ to Town

27.)   The baby Claus is adopted by the Kringle family, but only after he was first found on whose doorstep?
28.)   Name at least one of Kris Kringle’s adopted brothers.
29.)   What is the name of the town where the Burgermeister Meisterburger is in charge?
30.)   Match the person with the gift Kris Kringle gives to each of them:
a.   Jessica the schoolteacher         1. a toy Noah’s Ark
b.   The Burgermeister Meisterburger              2. a Choo-choo Train
c.   The Winter Warlock            3. a Yo-yo
d.   Suzie, the sick girl            4. a China Doll
31.)   The Winter Warlock tells Kris not to be afraid of the Tree Monsters.  Why not?
32.)   Kris Kringle has an animal sidekick who got very lost.  What is its name & what kind of animal is it?
33.)   How do the reindeer gain the ability to fly?

Part VI – Frosty the Snowman

34.)   Which of the following is not one of the names that the kids propose before they settle on Frosty?
a.   Bruce
b.   Harold
c.   Christopher Columbus   
d.   Oatmeal
e.   Randy
35.)   What are Frosty’s first words?
36.)   What is the name of the evil magician and his rabbit?
37.)   Frosty asks Karen if it will be alright with her mother for Karen to go with him to the North Pole, and she says sure, as long as what?
38.)   Fill in the blank:  “Frosty, bein' made out of snow, was the fastest ________ in the world.”
39.)   After Santa saves Frosty, he tells the evil magician that in order to “maybe, just maybe” find something in his stocking on Christmas, he must write “I am very sorry for what I did to Frosty” how many times?
40.)   The actor who provided the voice of Santa in Frosty the Snowman also did many other voices including…
a) which bad guy in one of the other specials?
b) what other iconic cartoon bad guy?

« Last Edit: December 16, 2007, 10:22:14 PM by mshray »
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010