Poll

Should we stay or should we go?

Stay
4 (66.7%)
Go
2 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Voting closed: January 28, 2005, 10:53:40 AM

Author Topic: A Poll  (Read 18036 times)

Beej

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
A Poll
« on: January 21, 2005, 10:53:40 AM »
So, are we going to stay here or what?

Please note: I just set this up to show y'all the slendor & wonder of the 'poll' function.

I've become used to this type of forum-software what with goofing off with the Brits over at CG. So, I can hang here no problem.
nakes? On my plane?

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
Re: A Poll
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2005, 10:55:36 AM »
Quote from: "Beej"
So, are we going to stay here or what?

kind of funny how we see two examples of things we can't do at discserver here: Beej's avatar and these polls!

:roll:
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

Beej

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
A Poll
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2005, 10:57:13 AM »
Well, let's not forget your handsome visage, geoff!

But, yeah- we could have some fun here that's for sure. More toys than the old one. But, the simplicty of the old one is nice, too.
nakes? On my plane?

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
old dogs, new tricks
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2005, 10:59:31 AM »
But, yeah- we could have some fun here that's for sure. More toys than the old one. But, the simplicty of the old one is nice, too.

Like anything else, people learn to deal with the tools they have.  I think that someday we should take it to the extreme and do it in a chat room

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
speaking of stay or go...
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2005, 11:00:50 AM »
I need to get to the convention center; have missed ah hour so far!

I'll check in later.

Beej

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
A Poll
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2005, 11:01:57 AM »
Later, dude.
nakes? On my plane?

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: old dogs, new tricks
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2005, 11:32:54 AM »
Quote from: "ggould"

Like anything else, people learn to deal with the tools they have.  I think that someday we should take it to the extreme and do it in a chat room

I'm torn. On one hand, like a lot of you, I'm kind of missing the way the old boad worked, basic but familiar.

But I'm not quite ready to write this off yet either. As Geoff implied, staying here will mean we need to learn new habits and ways of reading and managing our posts so they're as easy as possible for others to find.

Why don't we keep this up for the rest of the day, and see how we feel then? As GG said, the size of the bill we get from disc.server will likely play a large role in our final decision.
Let's get right to it.

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
Re: old dogs, new tricks
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2005, 11:52:56 AM »
Quote from: "urth"

I'm torn. On one hand, like a lot of you, I'm kind of missing the way the old boad worked, basic but familiar.

But I'm not quite ready to write this off yet either.

Same here.  Needed a third option on the poll - undecided.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
tyranny and mutation
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2005, 11:59:54 AM »
Dude. Dig your nifty avatar. Where'd you swipe that?

Tyranny and mutation, not to be confused with mutant trannys.
Let's get right to it.

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
Re: tyranny and mutation
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2005, 12:11:02 PM »
Quote from: "urth"
Dude. Dig your nifty avatar. Where'd you swipe that?

Tyranny and mutation, not to be confused with mutant trannys.

Googled Blue Oyster Cult and got it from some web page (second on the list).  Already perfect size and everything!
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Only 3 replies to the poll
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2005, 10:23:38 AM »
Anyone else chiming in?
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
A Poll
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2005, 10:47:17 AM »
Am I correct in assuming this board would cost us a lot less than the old one?  Not that I'm a cheapskate or anything...
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
A Poll
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2005, 10:56:59 AM »
Quote from: "RGMike"
Am I correct in assuming this board would cost us a lot less than the old one?  Not that I'm a cheapskate or anything...

We haven't gotten a bill yet from disc server, but it was two hundred last year.  Right now, this test forum is being hosted on one of Geoff's sites.  Probably we would need to get a seperate site going, so we don't use up all of Geoff's bandwidth/volume.  I don't know as much about it as Geoff, but you can get a site for considerably less than 200 bucks a year.  Plus, there is additional space for storing stuff, creating additional content, etc...
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
it would be around $50/year, or more if we needed lots
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2005, 11:19:02 AM »
Quote from: "Rod"

We haven't gotten a bill yet from disc server, but it was two hundred last year.  Right now, this test forum is being hosted on one of Geoff's sites.  Probably we would need to get a seperate site going, so we don't use up all of Geoff's bandwidth/volume.  I don't know as much about it as Geoff, but you can get a site for considerably less than 200 bucks a year.  Plus, there is additional space for storing stuff, creating additional content, etc...

I'll talk to my ISP guy to calculate a wild estimate of how much space this kind of database takes up.  This kind of forum is available everywhere if we find some free space too.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: it would be around $50/year, or more if we needed lots
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2005, 12:45:29 PM »
Quote from: "ggould"
Quote from: "Rod"

I'll talk to my ISP guy to calculate a wild estimate of how much space this kind of database takes up.  This kind of forum is available everywhere if we find some free space too.

Just curious--anyone got an idea how many posts we've been averaging per day or per week on the old board? I couldn't venture an accurate guess but I'd have to think it's in the range of several hundred per day, and 4 figures weekly.
Let's get right to it.