Author Topic: David Byrne at the Fillmore Feb 24  (Read 11295 times)

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
David Byrne at the Fillmore Feb 24
« on: February 07, 2005, 03:42:04 PM »
I have an extra ticket for Thursday Feb. 24. Anyone of you want to join me? Tickets not expensive.
Sharks bleed teal.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2005, 03:49:54 PM »
Would love to, but I'm Spreeing Polyphonically that night. But it'll be great--you'll have a lovely time.
Let's get right to it.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2005, 10:23:59 PM »
Urth - Please post a review if you have the compunction to take notes.  I've wanted to see the PS for some time and fear I never will now that they've blown up relatively big.

P.S.  Their latest would be at about #19 in my favorite albums of the year, "Hold Me Now" being a last-minute deletion from my singles top 10.  What a triumphant tune that was.

P.P.S.  Now that I think about, do you (or does anyone else) want me to save a copy of the Pazz & Jop issue of the Voice, which comes out this week?
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2005, 07:32:16 AM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"
P.P.S.  Now that I think about, do you (or does anyone else) want me to save a copy of the Pazz & Jop issue of the Voice, which comes out this week?

Did they use your list for a pull-quote?  :D
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2005, 07:53:06 AM »
The only thing they used from me was a sentence about the Franz Ferdinand.  I shouldn't complain -- it's a whole lot better than no words at all -- but I wish my "Worst Singles of 2004" chart could have found a home.  Too late for me to pitch it anywhere now.   :(
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2005, 11:02:43 AM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"
Urth - Please post a review if you have the compunction to take notes.  I've wanted to see the PS for some time and fear I never will now that they've blown up relatively big.

P.S.  Their latest would be at about #19 in my favorite albums of the year, "Hold Me Now" being a last-minute deletion from my singles top 10.  What a triumphant tune that was.

Will try at least to post a few reflections post-show--I've been out of the habit of note-taking for awhile now. I saw them once about a year or so back and was completely captivated. Can't say I was thrilled with the new record, but they were so much fun live I still have high hopes for the Bimbo's show. You should really try to get out and catch them regardless of their relative popularity--what sort of places have they been playing in NYC? If they're still at Bimbo's level here (600 more or less), I can't imagine they're playing any place bigger than, say, Roseland back there.

That's going to be a hellish week for music--Paul Westerberg Monday the 21st, Mission of Burma Wednesday, the PS on Thursday, and if I can muster the energy, I might try to get into David Byrne on Friday night.
Let's get right to it.

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2005, 11:04:23 AM »
Quote from: "urth"
I still have high hopes for the Bimbo's show.

Your going to see Britney Spears?
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
Re: David Byrne at the Fillmore Feb 24
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2005, 11:06:13 AM »
Quote from: "Alicat"
I have an extra ticket for Thursday Feb. 24. Anyone of you want to join me? Tickets not expensive.

I'm in, if you still have the ticket....
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

Anonymous

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2005, 11:58:31 AM »
Quote from: "Rod"
Quote from: "Alicat"

I'm in, if you still have the ticket....

Yes, I need a "date"! I don't like walking alone to the Fillmore from where I park. I'll email you details.

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2005, 12:10:35 PM »
Quote from: "Anonymous"

Yes, I need a "date"!

Well, let's hope my girlfriend understands.  I haven't actually run this by her yet.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2005, 12:23:35 PM »
Yes, I need a "date"! I don't like walking alone to the Fillmore from where I park. I'll email you details.

where do you park? Hunter's Point?

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: Fillmore parking
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2005, 12:45:45 PM »
Quote from: "RGMike"

Actually, she's right to be careful in some of the neighborhoods around the Fillmore, particularly directly to the west down Geary (past the KFC), and anywhere more than a block or so south of Geary on Filllmore. I know of several folks who have gotten mugged down there late after shows, and cars get broken into all the time along there (on Geary anyway.) I don't park in either of those areas, just for my car's safety as well as my own.

I usually try to park on Geary to the east of the club, or on Webster alongside the Safeway. (But NOT in the Safeway lot--you'll get towed. The voice of experience here, sad to say.) Post or Buchanan are OK from a safety POV, but parking is tougher to find.

But if you're worried and/or parking is tight, pay the 6 or 8 bucks and park at the Japan Center. Money well spent.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: Fillmore parking
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2005, 12:51:15 PM »
Quote from: "urth"
Quote from: "RGMike"

Actually, she's right to be careful in some of the neighborhoods around the Fillmore, particularly directly to the west down Geary (past the KFC), and anywhere more than a block or so south of Geary on Filllmore. I know of several folks who have gotten mugged down there late after shows, and cars get broken into all the time along there (on Geary anyway.) I don't park in either of those areas, just for my car's safety as well as my own.

I usually try to park on Geary to the east of the club, or on Webster alongside the Safeway. (But NOT in the Safeway lot--you'll get towed. The voice of experience here, sad to say.) Post or Buchanan are OK from a safety POV, but parking is tougher to find.

But if you're worried and/or parking is tight, pay the 6 or 8 bucks and park at the Japan Center. Money well spent.

Oh I agree, it's not a great area, but I assumed (as someone who went to the Kabuki 8 frequently, before there was Metreon) that anybody driving there would park in the Japantown lot and not even bother with street parking. This IS San Fran, after all.

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2005, 02:50:43 PM »
Quote from: "Rod"

Yes, I need a "date"!

Well, let's hope my girlfriend understands.  I haven't actually run this by her yet.

Fair enuf. I haven't said anything to Bob either. I just assume he needs to be cool about it since I have two tix and he doesn't want to play on a weeknight. I'm trustworthy. Tell your girlfriend you're going with a buddy.
Sharks bleed teal.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
just in case
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2005, 09:39:54 AM »
Hey Rod & Ali,

In case Rod's NLI isn't quite that understanding yet (or anything else comes up) consider me in the on deck circle.  I haven't run this by the wife either, but if Rod whiff's I'll try to step up.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010