Author Topic: Week of 10/17-10/21  (Read 7112 times)

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: Week of 10/17-10/21
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2005, 11:00:44 AM »
Quote from: "urth"
Finally getting a good dose of KPOO, sans buffering.

Two versions of The Thrill is Gone back to back (BB's and Aretha's) and now we've got Ree-ree singing straight gospel with a full choir behind her.  Say Hallelujah!

just to bring this thread full-circle... KPOO's Sat nite '70s show was killer as always: He played High Inergy's "You Can't Turn Me Off (In the Middle of Turning Me On)", which always reminds me of that other late-'70s girl-group, the Jones Girls -- and sure enough later that hour he played their "You Gonna Make me Love Somebody Else"!

But the two biggest flashbacks were "Love Jones" -- a dreadful record but fascinating anyway -- and John & Ernest's "Superfly Meets Shaft", Dickie Goodman's attempt to branch out to the black chart. Hadn't heard it in 30 years and it was funnier than I remembered. Dave should fish it out; he's played "Energy Crisis", and "Mr Jaws" for cryin' out loud.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2005, 08:53:46 PM »
Quote from: "RGMike"
But the two biggest flashbacks were "Love Jones" -- a dreadful record but fascinating anyway -- and John & Ernest's "Superfly Meets Shaft", Dickie Goodman's attempt to branch out to the black chart.

I have never heard either of those, and would love to.

(I've also never heard the Cheech & Chong comedy response record, "Basketball Jones.")
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2005, 10:13:32 PM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"
Quote from: "RGMike"
But the two biggest flashbacks were "Love Jones" -- a dreadful record but fascinating anyway -- and John & Ernest's "Superfly Meets Shaft", Dickie Goodman's attempt to branch out to the black chart.

I have never heard either of those, and would love to.

(I've also never heard the Cheech & Chong comedy response record, "Basketball Jones.")

"What is a 'love jones'? Shucks, darlin'... it's when you love someone very very much... and you just can't seem to get yo'self TOGETHA!"

Both are from early '73 (and the C&C parody came about 8 months later). I'm pretty sure both are on one volume or other of the Rhino '70s soul series.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round