Author Topic: The Prop 8 thread  (Read 54702 times)

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: The Prop 8 thread
« Reply #45 on: December 01, 2008, 05:09:33 PM »
Friends, this is a really long entry, but you may recall that our connection to KBCO came after I had a business trip to Denver & my cousin Jerome there recommended I check it out.  Jerome is a radiologist and a Major in the USAF, honorably discharged in 2000, and on inactive reserve (after going AF-ROTC through med school).  As I've mentioned elsewhere, he came out 3 yrs ago to my dad.

This is what happened to him 2 weeks ago when he attended a Madonna concert with his boyfriend and a straight female friend.  I've since gotten his permission to publicize this widely if in doing so it can lead to positive change.  Your thoughts along this line are welcome.

Jeezus H. Christ, Mark. That is beyond appalling. His rights and those of his partner and friend were absolutely violated that night, and I hope he is successful in pursuing this through the courts. Just goes to show what a bubble we live in, and why we have a long way to go to put things like Prop. 8 in the past. I hope he contacts the ACLU and asks for their assistance in taking this as far as need be to get some justice.

And what did those two expect at a Madonna concert in the first place?!?!?
Let's get right to it.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 01, 2008, 05:20:36 PM »
Friends, this is a really long entry,...

incredible.  Like urth says, I hope they can pursue legal action to address what happened.  It sounds like the couple and the cops were of like minds, and all the cops needed was a reason to act on their own personal phobias.  Were there witnesses in Jerome's row who could testify or give statements as to what really happened?  Maybe a lawyer who pursues this for Jerome could subpoena a list of ticket holders from the arena.
~CPL593H~

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 01, 2008, 05:29:18 PM »
I'm sickened by this (and selfishly glad to be in my bubble - it's taking my last reserves to not make hateful blanket statements about Middle America and law enforcement).  I hope Jerome is able to get some measure of justice by taking his story public.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 01, 2008, 06:49:49 PM »
Jerome should tell Madonna about this -- seriously. 

Say what you want about her, but she is a gay rights proponent and this kind of injustice at her own performance will probably get her attention.
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 01, 2008, 07:44:47 PM »

Say what you want about her, but she is a gay rights proponent and this kind of injustice at her own performance will probably get her attention.

Good point -- she'd certainly have something to say about it.  Absolutely disgusting, and unlike Gaz I have NO qualms about damning Middle American hatemongers to Hell. They can all kiss my ass.

Mark, who did he send that letter to? The ACLU, GLAAD and the HRC would be good starting points. Also -- howthefuck can they charge you with "tresspassing" at a concert for which you bought tickets??
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 01, 2008, 07:46:45 PM »

Good point -- she'd certainly have something to say about it.  Absolutely disgusting, and unlike Gaz I have NO qualms about damning Middle American hatemongers to Hell. They can all kiss my ass.

Mark, who did he send that letter to? The ACLU, GLAAD and the HRC would be good starting points. Also -- howthefuck can they charge you with "tresspassing" at a concert for which you bought tickets??

the trespassing charge comes about when you refuse to leave the premises.  If they say "leave" and you don't, you're trespassing.

~CPL593H~

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 02, 2008, 10:34:50 AM »
This is what happened to him 2 weeks ago when he attended a Madonna concert with his boyfriend and a straight female friend.  I've since gotten his permission to publicize this widely if in doing so it can lead to positive change.  Your thoughts along this line are welcome.

About ½ of the way through the concert, I believe that I and my boyfriend (and by association, one female friend with us) were the victim of a hate crime, or at least, discrimination based on our sexual orientation. 

If he moves forward with publicizing this, there will doubtless be discussion as to whether what he experienced was a hate crime.  I say yes: even though there was no physical violence, there was direct intimidation whose intent was to send a message to an entire class of people.  "Hate crime" seems a widely misinterpreted term (I'll throw up next time I hear someone counterargue, "ALL crimes are hate crimes"); what is needed, I suspect, is a class of crime denoted "categoric intimidation," or better words to that effect - a parallel to "ethnic intimidation."
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 02, 2008, 11:40:05 AM »

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 02, 2008, 01:02:46 PM »
Friends, this is a really long entry, but you may recall that our connection to KBCO came after I had a business trip to Denver & my cousin Jerome there recommended I check it out.  Jerome is a radiologist and a Major in the USAF, honorably discharged in 2000, and on inactive reserve (after going AF-ROTC through med school).  As I've mentioned elsewhere, he came out 3 yrs ago to my dad.

Jeezus H. Christ, Mark. That is beyond appalling. His rights and those of his partner and friend were absolutely violated that night, and I hope he is successful in pursuing this through the courts. Just goes to show what a bubble we live in, and why we have a long way to go to put things like Prop. 8 in the past. I hope he contacts the ACLU and asks for their assistance in taking this as far as need be to get some justice.

And what did those two expect at a Madonna concert in the first place?!?!?

Echoing everybody else's sentiments here.  Just horrible. 
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 03, 2008, 09:29:39 AM »

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 03, 2008, 09:43:12 AM »
"Day Without a Gay," Dec. 10

as Assmussen said in a strip a couple years ago: "in other news, 'A Day Without Homosexuals' closes the nation's Catholic Churches".

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 03, 2008, 10:49:19 AM »
OMG this is great: "Prop 8 the Musical" -- written by Marc Shaiman of Hairspray and South Park fame, with an all-star cast! (it's only about 3 mins long)

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/c0cf508ff8/prop-8-the-musical-starring-jack-black-john-c-reilly-and-many-more-from-fod-team-jack-black-craig-robinson-john-c-reilly-and-rashida-jones

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
back in 1992
« Reply #57 on: December 04, 2008, 11:14:16 PM »
when the Dead went to Colorado, Deadheads financed this billboard:

Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 10, 2008, 08:31:25 PM »
On the way home tonight, there was an anti-Prop 8 march on Valencia St (in conjunction with "A Day Without a Gay").  Best sign I saw in the crowd:

"MY 2 MOMS CAN BEAT UP YOUR 2 WIVES"

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 11, 2008, 10:22:01 PM »
On the way home tonight, there was an anti-Prop 8 march on Valencia St (in conjunction with "A Day Without a Gay").  Best sign I saw in the crowd:

"MY 2 MOMS CAN BEAT UP YOUR 2 WIVES"
ROTFL!  That's classic!