Author Topic: The Prop 8 thread  (Read 54610 times)

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Let's get right to it.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: The Prop 8 thread
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2008, 01:07:44 PM »
Can you work in musical theater and be anti-gay? Apparently:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2008/11/11/state/n103927S55.DTL&tsp=1

Or maybe not: he's resigned as of this morning.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2008/11/12/state/n111331S39.DTL&type=politics&tsp=1

And there it is - the explanation: He's a Momo.

Lisa West, regional spokeswoman for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, said Eckern is a member "in very good standing" and the Mormon church supports his decision to resign.

The laughable thing is that he claims that he offers loving support to his lesbian sister who is in a committed relationship.  "Sis, I love ya, but your relationship is just theologically inferior to mine!  You can understand that, can'tcha, sis?"

In the past, I have expressed to dubious friends and colleagues a willingness to compromise: I'd settle for "civil union" instead of "marriage" IF AND ONLY IF those civil unions carried the EXACT SAME rights and responsibilities as straight marriages.  But in their current practice, they're demonstrably not exactly the same, not least because a marriage is recognized no matter what state you're in while a civil union is not.

There are two protests here in NYC on this matter this week: one tonight in front of the Mormon temple @ Columbus and 65th (which I'll miss because of work) and one Saturday at City Hall (City Hall has nothing to do with this, but the organizers couldn't get a park permit on short notice).  I think this is a good thing; the Momos' success in Cali only stands to encourage them to take their message of judgment to NY, CT and beyond.  I refuse to let that happen.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2008, 01:35:24 PM »
There are two protests here in NYC on this matter this week: one tonight in front of the Mormon temple @ Columbus and 65th .

I used to work around the corner from there, when ABC Radio was at 1926 B'way. There was a greasy-spoon burger joint on the ground floor of the Mormon building, and we used to refer to it as "Latter-Day Burger".
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2008, 09:47:50 AM »
Dave Morey himself will be at the Prop 8 protest tomorrow!

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2008, 11:44:49 AM »

Wow! Did he say so on air, or was he listed by the protest's organizers?
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2008, 12:01:58 PM »

Wow! Did he say so on air, or was he listed by the protest's organizers?

Renee mentioned it in her "things to do" blurb shortly before 10.

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2008, 12:09:22 PM »
When one of the organizers of the protest was on, I believe Dave said that he was going to be at the San Rafael courthouse tomorrow.

I was kind of sleepy, but I think that's right.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2008, 12:14:46 AM »
Well, I'll be: The Jefferson Starship's new lead singer, Cathy Richardson, is a recently married lesbian, and so Prop 8 becomes personal for the Jefferson family:

PRESS RELEASE

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

JEFFERSON STARSHIP SINGER DETERMINED TO “STAND UP FOR THE RIGHT OF SAME-SEX COUPLES TO WED”

SAN FRANCISCO, CA:  Rock musician Cathy Richardson and her spouse Rachel Rose Regan have vowed not only “to have and to hold as long as love shall last,” but also to “stand up for the right of same-sex couples to wed.”  Richardson and Regan were married in a private ceremony above Napa, CA on October 29, 2008.  Universalist Minister KK Ledford officiated the sunrise ceremony in a hot air balloon over Napa Valley, witnessed by a small group of family and friends.

Singer-Songwriter Richardson is best known for her starring role as Janis Joplin in the original off- Broadway, Chicago, San Francisco and Arizona casts of Love, Janis. This year, she became lead singer and released an album with the legendary rock band Jefferson Starship, who she met in 2007 on tour singing with Janis Joplin’s original band, Big Brother and the Holding Company.  Richardson is a regular on the popular music education television series, Jack’s Big Music Show (Noggin) and was a nominated for a GRAMMY in 2004 for her self-released album, the Road to Bliss (Cash Rich Records).  Ms. Regan heads the couple’s clothing line, Shining Shakti, which specializes in hand-dyed, organic cotton yoga apparel. The couple met and fell in love two years ago when Regan was working as an ad exec for the San Francisco production of Love, Janis.

Richardson and Regan were able to legally marry just days before the November 2008 election where the controversial Proposition 8 was on the California ballot to “eliminate the right of same-sex couples to marry.”  While Proposition 8 passed by a slim margin, the couple’s legal marriage remains intact and Richardson says they are “determined to continue to stand up for the right of same-sex couples to enjoy the same legal and societal benefits of civil marriage afforded to heterosexuals.”

The couple was recently spotlighted in the British newspaper The Telegraph in a story about the Proposition 8 vote: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/uselection2008/3384493/Proposition-8-ballot-to-ban-gay-marriage-set-to-pass-in-California.html

“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

SFGuy

« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2008, 01:10:52 AM »
How San Francisco voted for the measure. Some neighborhoods actually passed it overwhelmingly:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/11/14/MNIQ144185.DTL

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2008, 11:03:32 AM »
How San Francisco voted for the measure. Some neighborhoods actually passed it overwhelmingly:

not a surprise, as there are a LOT of very conservative Asians in SF (for one example).  If you live in the city and watch a decent amount of cable, you saw TONS of commercials for an Asian woman running for Supervisor who promised to "save SF for families", which I saw as rather transparent code for you-know-what.

SFGuy

« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2008, 05:48:36 PM »

not a surprise, as there are a LOT of very conservative Asians in SF (for one example).  If you live in the city and watch a decent amount of cable, you saw TONS of commercials for an Asian woman running for Supervisor who promised to "save SF for families", which I saw as rather transparent code for you-know-what.

I'm Asian and I'm pretty sure while some of my relatives voted for Barack Obama. They also supported Prop. 8. These people (some cousins) are God fearing folks.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2008, 06:45:16 PM »
For those of you who are on Facebook (and I think that should be all of you), I've just uploaded the pix I took during this afternoon's City Hall rally (search for me @ J0seph McC0mbs).  A good time was had by all.  Crowd in the (I think) low thousands, supportive tourists in double-decker buses, kind assistance from the police, and lots of clever approaches to this social problem.  It was a warming day.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2008, 10:50:26 PM by Gazoo »

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2008, 10:10:42 PM »
For those of you who are on Facebook (and I think that should be all of you), I've just uploaded the pix I took during this afternoon's City Hall rally (search for me @ Joseph McCombs).  A good time was had by all.  Crowd in the (I think) low thousands, supportive tourists in double-decker buses, kind assistance from the police, and lots of clever approaches to this social problem.  It was a warming day.

What I want to know is -- where were all these "Separ-8 is not Equal" and "I'm Against H8" signs in SF before the election?

BTW, I'm under the impression that Facebook doesn't want my demographic -- am I wrong?

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2008, 11:38:25 PM »
BTW, I'm under the impression that Facebook doesn't want my demographic -- am I wrong?

In a word, yes. In the last 8 to 10 months or so, Facebook has made significant inroads to the middle-aged, baby-boomer demographic. It can be a major time-suck, but it's also fun, and a good way to reconnect with people you never thought you'd hear from again. Give it a go. Gaz, Alicat, Geoff, Tinka, and I are on there. (Am I forgetting anyone? If so, apologies.)
Let's get right to it.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2008, 09:42:24 AM »
What I want to know is -- where were all these "Separ-8 is not Equal" and "I'm Against H8" signs in SF before the election?

I can only suppose that people underestimated the urgency of the Mormons', Catholics', and African Americans' get-out-the-yes-vote efforts.  A wake-up call, to be sure.

I blogged about Prop 8 and this weekend's rallies today.  Tried not to let my grumpiness shine through.