Author Topic: Welcome to the 10@10 club  (Read 73532 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: Welcome to the 10@10 club
« Reply #45 on: March 24, 2011, 01:05:32 PM »
Hi everyone, long time listener, first time caller...

Welcome  Nate!  We're snarky but harmless. We agree about AL's repeat clips -- I think she was really into downloading new ones in the beginning but I guess she's a busy gal. To answer your question, the Motown Monday/Soul Patrol sets seem to have been left behind in the Morey era; AL has tried a few of her own recurring themes (Movie Monday, Funny Friday) and some have caught on, some not. She has said she's more about sprinkling a bit of everything -- including the occasional Hit from Hell -- into each regular set rather than doing all-soul or all-instrumental or all-anything.

Our big concern now is whether the new Program Director contuinues to give her free reign (AL's been mostly on her own since she took over nearly 2 years ago) or whether he tries to homogenize/playlist things (as 10@10s in other cities do).
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 24, 2011, 02:43:43 PM »
Hi everyone...

Hi Nate, thanks for the nice intro post...!  

agree on the clips.  you'd think that Battle Of the Network Stars was one of three shows on that year judging from the frequency.  I like your round up of your radio life, and interesting that you listened to classical while young.  When I read what your wrote about generic blooze in every decade and then you cited SRV as a regular transgressor, part of me was all 'hey, but he was good' .. I thought that back then and still have a fond place for him, but I can see why he doesn't float everyone's boat.  

It's just music after all. You can't take pop or rock TOO seriously  ....  but, then again, we do.  And if she plays Dreadlock Holiday ONE MORE TIME....

« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 03:51:41 PM by Tinka Cat »
~CPL593H~

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 24, 2011, 03:44:45 PM »
Hi everyone, long time listener, first time caller.

Welcome, Nate!  ("If it's a boy.")  (Silence, Prince!)  I'm Joe, aka Gaz, a 38yo copy editor in NYC who lived in SF a decade+ ago.  Glad to hear of your musical upbringing - I'd grown up in hair-metal-saturated rural Pittsburgh area with a fondness for oldies, and knew a change had come when my college radio station played "Smells Like Teen Spirit" in December '91.  I consider rock's golden age to be '66-'75 but enjoy being surprised by AL's '80s and '90s offerings.  Hope you've been amused by our exchanges here; feel free to jump in anytime!

Cheers,
Gaz.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Nate

• two bits
  • It's called "Internet"
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 24, 2011, 04:42:13 PM »
Thanks for the warm welcome. I hope AL keeps trying new things and her prog director doesn't change much. I got a kick out of her playing "Baby Got Back" and then unable to stop giggling after.

Variety is the spice of life. I definitely don't listen to 10@10 to hear familiar stuff. I want to hear new-old songs or forgotten ones with some link to the others. I also tend not to listen to KFOG other than New Music Thursdays.

I stopped listening during the day a year or two ago when it started to sound like 97.3 with Michael F. Spearhead and Plain White T's. Augh.

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 25, 2011, 07:34:44 AM »

I stopped listening during the day a year or two ago when it started to sound like 97.3 with Michael F. Spearhead and Plain White T's. Augh.
Double augh. 

Welcome!  I'm kinda new myself.  It's a fun, informative and slightly (OK, highly?) addictive forum.  I thought I knew a lot about music before I joined this club.  I used to work at a record store, for Christ's sake (well, Musicland, but still!) :D These guys (and gal) smoke me.

Are you on AL's FB group?

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 25, 2011, 10:21:00 AM »
Thanks for the warm welcome. I hope AL keeps trying new things and her prog director doesn't change much. I got a kick out of her playing "Baby Got Back" and then unable to stop giggling after.

Variety is the spice of life. I definitely don't listen to 10@10 to hear familiar stuff. I want to hear new-old songs or forgotten ones with some link to the others. I also tend not to listen to KFOG other than New Music Thursdays.

Welcome!!! I agree with you on all counts (though KFOG's daytime programming has improved *slightly* over last year, in my opinion.)  I think RGMike here was the mastermind behind getting her to play "Baby Got Back"....bwahahaha  ;D

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 25, 2011, 10:25:19 AM »

Double augh. 

Welcome!  I'm kinda new myself.  It's a fun, informative and slightly (OK, highly?) addictive forum.  I thought I knew a lot about music before I joined this club.  I used to work at a record store, for Christ's sake (well, Musicland, but still!) :D These guys (and gal) smoke me.

Are you on AL's FB group?
Welcome Nate. I am one of the other "gals" here and long-time 10@10 clubber. I treasure the birthday sets Dave honored me with. I grew up in SF listening to 60's-70's rock and soul/r&B. I am not too knowledgable with the 80's/90/s sets. Usually I stream KISS 98.1 online at work. I like Disco and not ashamed about it. That's the way (uh huh, uh huh) I like it (thank you KC). It's a great group here and I learn a lot from the collective knowledge base. Some very wonderful and intelligent guys!
Sharks bleed teal.

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 25, 2011, 10:34:29 AM »
Some very wonderful and intelligent guys!

And I'm here too!   ;)

Welcome Nate.  I don't participate as much as I once did, but still pop in every now and then (mostly I lurk during sets, trying not to spend too much time whilst trying to keep up with my workload).  Mostly an old school "hard" rocker, with a healthy respect and enjoyment of other related genres (pop, funk and soul, new wave, punk, etc.).  But I'm mostly happy when someone plays guitars really loudly.

Still, I forgive you your SRV comments.  And that WAS what the mid to late 80s was for me.   8)

and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 25, 2011, 11:36:35 AM »
Some very wonderful and intelligent guys!

...I'm mostly happy when someone plays guitars really loudly.
Me too!
Sharks bleed teal.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 25, 2011, 12:50:33 PM »
Greetings and welcome Nate!  I'm known hereabouts as urth, which is short for Urthwerm, which evolved from the comic book/cartoon "Earthworm Jim", and they often call me Speedo but my real name is Mr. Earl. No, wait--scratch that last bit. My real name is Jim.  I'm a former San Franciscan who's now living in rural Oregon and attempting to start an artisan goat cheese company with my wife. Thank god for the interweb or I'd be loonytunes by now.

Anyway, hope you continue to hang around here. We can be a curmudgeonly bunch but mostly harmless. There's a strong leaning toward favoring the 60s and 70s years among the locals (myself included) but things have changed a little since Annalisa took over the reins and started introducing some new material beyond the same hundred or so songs Dave would draw from for his 80s and 90s sets (today's 95 set being a prime example).  And it doesn't hurt that we've got a few more 80s/90s partisans in our ranks in recent months (see also: Sundaygal, SFGuy, Radical1347--or whatever those digits are) so you shouldn't feel alone.
cheers,
urth aka Jim

« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 03:21:53 PM by urth »
Let's get right to it.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 25, 2011, 02:08:50 PM »
Hi everyone...

Hi Nate, thanks for the nice intro post...!  

agree on the clips.  you'd think that Battle Of the Network Stars was one of three shows on that year judging from the frequency.  I like your round up of your radio life, and interesting that you listened to classical while young.  When I read what your wrote about generic blooze in every decade and then you cited SRV as a regular transgressor, part of me was all 'hey, but he was good' .. I thought that back then and still have a fond place for him, but I can see why he doesn't float everyone's boat.  

It's just music after all. You can't take pop or rock TOO seriously  ....  but, then again, we do.  And if she plays Dreadlock Holiday ONE MORE TIME....

oh, and my real name is John.  When I signed up I was whimsical with my screen name choice -- perhaps a little too whimsical b/c everyone perceives it as a lady name.  That's what I get for listening to my cat.
~CPL593H~

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 25, 2011, 04:51:28 PM »

oh, and my real name is John.  When I signed up I was whimsical with my screen name choice -- perhaps a little too whimsical b/c everyone perceives it as a lady name.  That's what I get for listening to my cat.

I used to think you and Ali were Mr. & Mrs. Cat!

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 26, 2011, 10:38:44 AM »

oh, and my real name is John.  When I signed up I was whimsical with my screen name choice -- perhaps a little too whimsical b/c everyone perceives it as a lady name.  That's what I get for listening to my cat.

I used to think you and Ali were Mr. & Mrs. Cat!
The cats (Ali and Tinka) did meet recently (randomly) for dinner!
Sharks bleed teal.

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 30, 2011, 09:04:24 PM »
Everyone!  Please welcome Lattegirl to our club!  Tell us who you be...

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 30, 2011, 09:11:03 PM »
Welcome Lattegirl!  The more the merrier!  I take it that perhaps you're a friend o' SundayGal?