Author Topic: 21 Feb 2014: it's... 1975  (Read 8381 times)

CapnJack

• The Core
  • 10^4 Super Patriot
    • View Profile
Re: 21 Feb 2014: it's... 1975
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2014, 11:01:44 AM »
Renee: BOS Janis Ian; VHMs to Glen Campbell, Fleetwood Mac, Queen, Led Zeppelin and Bob Dylan
Tuned to a natural E

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2014, 11:07:09 AM »
Renee's changing her name to "Honey Badger"...  ::)

And allegedly we all know why (she sez), but I must have missed the memo. Anyone got a hint?
Let's get right to it.

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2014, 11:08:14 AM »
Renee: BOS Janis Ian; VHMs to Glen Campbell, Fleetwood Mac, Queen, Led Zeppelin and Bob Dylan

I'm really surprised (but pleased) that Janis Ian took the popular BOS vote. Must have been a big lesbian turnout.
Let's get right to it.

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2014, 12:27:54 PM »
BTW, I was away from my desk during "Sweet Emotion" -- uberLN and WOS from me.  I really don't get this song's attraction.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2014, 01:18:54 PM »
BTW, I was away from my desk during "Sweet Emotion" -- uberLN and WOS from me.  I really don't get this song's attraction.

must be that sweet-talkin' mama with a face like a gent (!?!).

As I've said before, it baffles me too, since it wasn't a big hit in '75, and only in the last dozen years or so has it become one of *the* most-played tracks in the history of the Classic Rock format, right up there with "Killer Queen", "Sweet Home Alabummer" and a few others.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2014, 08:29:05 PM »

I'm really surprised (but pleased) that Janis Ian took the popular BOS vote. Must have been a big lesbian turnout.

Yes, the Mopey Lesbian voting bloc is formidable!

I listened to the replay on soundcloud, so I missed the group vibe/think.  I was glued to my AM radio back in 75, which meant Glenn Campbell, Queen and KC&TSB.  the music of Sweet Emotion is pretty good, the lyrics not so much.  My BOS vote goes to Led Zep. 

~CPL593H~

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
  • Honorary Knight of the Command Line
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2014, 10:48:11 PM »
OMFG Dylan's "Lily, Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts"!

ETA: uberinfinity-BOS?  ;D

A big BOS and bust-out of the month, I think.
"Your favorite songs, played beautifully"

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2014, 10:50:58 PM »
And allegedly we all know why (she sez), but I must have missed the memo. Anyone got a hint?

No idea, and don't care.  I've barely been exposed to this "honey badger" meme, and already
I'm tired of it.

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2014, 10:55:29 PM »
must be that sweet-talkin' mama with a face like a gent (!?!).

As I've said before, it baffles me too, since it wasn't a big hit in '75, and only in the last dozen years or so has it become one of *the* most-played tracks in the history of the Classic Rock format, right up there with "Killer Queen", "Sweet Home Alabummer" and a few others.

I'll play the contrarian and say I like it.  It's not quite a FF, but I wouldn't dispute a LN designation. 
If I was assembling an Aerosmith "best of" collection I'd certainly include it.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2014, 10:11:25 AM »

No idea, and don't care.  I've barely been exposed to this "honey badger" meme, and already
I'm tired of it.

I think it's because the Honey Badger doesn't give a f***, according to that famous video that started it all.   I think Renee is saying, yeah, the set was all over the place, but I, like Honey badger, don't care.  I just do what I want.
~CPL593H~

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2014, 05:08:09 PM »
(Movie: Day of the Locust)

Just re-listened to this set and was a tad surprised to learn that the Donald Sutherland character in this film was called Homer Simpson. You learn something new every day.

(Btw, it may also be significant to note that this set has at least 65 more plays on the KFOG Soundcloud player than any other set on there, including several that are several days older.  The next closest is the 73 set that aired a couple of days before this one, and everything else has at least 140 fewer plays if not more. I wonder if anyone at KFOG pays any attention to this stuff?)
Let's get right to it.