Author Topic: 10@10 - Discussion of KFOG's show in general  (Read 68322 times)

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
Re: 10@10 - Discussion of KFOG's show in general
« Reply #120 on: February 23, 2015, 11:24:18 AM »
I know this is an old gripe, but now that the marathon is back, I wish the order in which they run the shows wasn't so haphazard. It's like they throw 'em in the air and see where they land.  Caught Thursday's excellent '76 set at 9am but then at 10 we got the '87 "encore" from Monday. You'd think reruns would get the early slots since they're, well, reruns.  If they'd settle on airing them in Mon-Fri order every weekend, I'd set my alarm for a set I really wanted to hear again (this despite them being on Soundcloud). But this way I usually catch the 9:00 set and then go off to listen to something else.

I agree with this. I usually don’t get up until 11 or 12 on the weekends, but I’d make it a point to get up earlier if I knew when a 10@10 I wanted to hear was going to be. But if the order is random then I’m not going to bother. Although my gripe is somewhat lessened by 10@10s being available online now.

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
  • Honorary Knight of the Command Line
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: February 23, 2015, 11:12:38 PM »
I know this is an old gripe, but now that the marathon is back, I wish the order in which they run the shows wasn't so haphazard. It's like they throw 'em in the air and see where they land.  Caught Thursday's excellent '76 set at 9am but then at 10 we got the '87 "encore" from Monday. You'd think reruns would get the early slots since they're, well, reruns.  If they'd settle on airing them in Mon-Fri order every weekend, I'd set my alarm for a set I really wanted to hear again (this despite them being on Soundcloud). But this way I usually catch the 9:00 set and then go off to listen to something else.
I agree with this. I usually don’t get up until 11 or 12 on the weekends, but I’d make it a point to get up earlier if I knew when a 10@10 I wanted to hear was going to be. But if the order is random then I’m not going to bother. Although my gripe is somewhat lessened by 10@10s being available online now.

Presumably the order is known in advance, as which commercials and other songs will be used
as filler must be determined.  Or is that done by a human bean on the fly?  In the latter case
the choice of set might be made "at random" on Saturday morning.
"Your favorite songs, played beautifully"

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: February 24, 2015, 02:01:20 PM »
When I was recording Dave Morey's shows, I sometimes needed the third bite at the apple
provided by the Saturday marathon.  I'd set my alarm for just before six, and start the tape as
the first show began, just in case it was the one I wanted.  Chances are it wasn't, and I would
re-cue the tape, set the alarm for just before seven, and try to get a few more winks.  The
process would repeat as necessary.

Hah! I used to do something very similar, except I'd use my home DAT machine, which would allow me to record up to 4 hours at a time. So I'd get up at 5:55 (or later on, 6:55), fire up the DAT machine and start it recording and then stumble back to bed for a few more hours. Once I got up around 9 or 10, I'd let the rest of the marathon finish recording, then go back at my leisure and transfer the sets I wanted to CD. A little more work in the long run, but the return to bed to finish my night's sleep was worth it.
Let's get right to it.

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: March 25, 2015, 10:00:50 PM »
Well, if we really hear Candi Staton's "He Called Me Baby" that'll be a plus.  Also, it's a thread, tho' she does not specifically solicit requests. I'm waiting for someone else to make one before I jump in.

Although I must admit I would love AL to do a '61 set, but the songs would be so short! ;)

Indeed.  There's a lot of superlative pop music from the early '60s -- the entire decade is markedly
above par -- but without double plays or some similar artifice, the sets would be woefully brief.  Dave
would pad his mid-sixties sets in part with long news montages or an extended clip from a television
show.  I suspect the sourcing of clip material has changed, which might be why we have more short
snippets these days.

Lots of good musical trends gained popularity in the early sixties -- the British Invasion, the beginnings
of world music, folk music, surf music, and girl groups all come readily to mind.  Plenty of potential by
either year or theme.

ETA: My initial reaction to AL's post was "Is she doing a set full of covers of 'He/She Called Me Baby'?" That would be an interesting theme set...

I think that ten covers of Louie Louie or Willie and the Hand Jive would be an amusing
April Fool's Day set, particularly if the joke wasn't telegraphed.

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: March 28, 2015, 11:36:06 AM »

The last three sets of this morning's marathon were 1971, 1993, and 1986, suggesting
that the week's shows were replayed in order.  Might be happenstance, might be the
new normal...

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: March 28, 2015, 11:53:50 AM »

The last three sets of this morning's marathon were 1971, 1993, and 1986, suggesting
that the week's shows were replayed in order.  Might be happenstance, might be the
new normal...

happened last week too I think... a good idea to just stick with that rather than juggling the order every weekend.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: April 04, 2015, 07:57:25 AM »
Still up after watching the eclipse... the shows are being aired in order, however
they are starting several minutes before the hour.

ETA:  US3's Cantaloop (first time I've heard this outside of 10@10) into Wednesday's
Fool's set, starting just a minute early.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2015, 08:04:37 AM by dischead »

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: April 07, 2015, 11:20:54 PM »
yeah, nothing really new here. I guess you can't spring a NTM nugget into every 10at10 set.

I must disagree with this most strenously; this is my major gripe with 10@10 these days.

The answer turns on how many good "NTM" and/or bust-outs you think exist for a given year.

How many do you think there are for 1973?  20?  50?  100?  I would consider 1973 a fairly
strong year, certainly above average.  Let's say there are 100.  (I think the number could be
much higher.)  I checked a few years and discovered that 1973 was visited between six and
eight times each year, so let's go with an average of seven times a year.  So, if there are 100
good NTMs/bust-outs in 1973, and if 1973 is visited seven times a year, and if on each visit we
play three completely new tracks, then we will exhaust our supply of new material in five years.

I could go on, but my argument in essence is that there is so much new material that is
untapped, even for weak years, that ignoring it is intentional negligence.  I find it particularly
glaring when we get the same old same old in the late '60s sets.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: April 08, 2015, 12:26:03 AM »
yeah, nothing really new here. I guess you can't spring a NTM nugget into every 10at10 set.

I must disagree with this most strenously; this is my major gripe with 10@10 these days.

I actually agree with you (my sarcasm was too subtle). The sets could always use more NTM material. It's not that hard to do as you point out -- the material is out there -- but maybe the deejay can't do that per corporate rules...?  Or something?  I listen to KFOG only for 10at10, but it would be nice to be exposed to something new and different every once in a while. This is why I listen to KPOO, KUSF-in-Exile, KALX, etc., regularly. 
~CPL593H~

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: April 18, 2015, 06:50:46 PM »

FYI the past two weeks the Saturday morning marathon has not re-broadcast the shows
in order.

MGBMAC

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: May 07, 2015, 09:53:43 AM »
Anyone know why SoundCloud's last KFOG 10@10 is from April 24, 2015?

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: May 07, 2015, 10:30:16 AM »
Anyone know why SoundCloud's last KFOG 10@10 is from April 24, 2015?

They now use Mixcloud for archived shows and embed them on the 10at10 page >

http://www.kfog.com/page.php?page_id=211
~CPL593H~

MGBMAC

• View Profile
« Reply #132 on: May 07, 2015, 11:11:57 AM »
Thank you so much, I am now informed!

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: July 28, 2015, 10:47:14 PM »
Just stumbled over this bit of trivia... Loggins & Messina's Angry Eyes has appeared
four times -- and won BOS every time.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 03, 2015, 10:50:57 AM »
Aside to whoever decided to go straight into a current song out of 10@10: if you don't want people to tune away, make sure that song isn't "Riptide."
Let's get right to it.