Author Topic: 31 July 2013: it's... 1967  (Read 9097 times)

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
  • Honorary Knight of the Command Line
    • View Profile
Re: 31 July 2013: it's... ??
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2013, 10:48:22 PM »
Renee tells Greg that she worked on this set days and days ago...

And yet she played the Partridge Family clip anyway... that's the kind of mistake I can
understand if one was putting together the set on the fly, but she worked on this set
days ago, and didn't check her work?
"Your favorite songs, played beautifully"

CapnJack

• The Core
  • 10^4 Super Patriot
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2013, 10:52:22 PM »

And yet she played the Partridge Family clip anyway... that's the kind of mistake I can
understand if one was putting together the set on the fly, but she worked on this set

Renee, in the backsell, apologized for the error, stating that she originally wanted to
play it in the '72 set the day before (which she actually did, partially, in the TV medley
prior to Big Star).
Tuned to a natural E

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
Re: 31 July 2013: it's... 1967
« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2013, 10:54:24 PM »
Whoa! I'm tripping!
BOS4 the Pinko Floyds, "See Emily Play"...I adore this song.
I have no idea why it happened, but I remember one day in high school, having heard this song on the radio in the morning, it played in my head all day, and had a sort of altered experience to it.  I was extremely innocent then, so it was on the natch!

Songs like Itchycoo Park, I Am the Walrus (and Strawberry Fields, and Lucy in the Sky) most
certainly planted seeds of curiosity about the hallucinogenic drug experience in my young,
impressionable mind...

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2013, 11:07:46 PM »
4.See Emily Play-Pink Floyd
5.Happy Together-The Turtles
6.Bernadette-The Four Tops
7.Come on Down to my Boat-Every Mothers Son
8.Itchycoo Park-Small Faces
9.I Am the Walrus-The Beatles

This stretch of titles strongly evoked 1967 for me, either because they sounded like 1967, or
I heard them a lot on the radio then (or both).  For me one amusing measure of 10@10 shows
from 1967 and 1968 is how many of the songs I have on 45.  In this case it's three, which is
a respectable number.

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2013, 07:53:03 PM »
Renee, in the backsell, apologized for the error, stating that she originally wanted to
play it in the '72 set the day before (which she actually did, partially, in the TV medley
prior to Big Star).

Okay, although I don't entirely understand.  I admit that I know nothing about the operational
mechanics of being a radio DJ.  But she still goofed -- pushed the wrong button, or had the
wrong whatchamacallit in the thingamajig.  How does that happen if she worked on the set
days ago?  For that matter, I'm a little surprised that most 10@10 sets aren't constructed and
recorded in advance.  The whole thing would be played with the push of a button like an encore
set, leaving the DJ free to take BOS votes on the phone, etc.  I know Dave did some work off-air,
like his Friday Night Champagne Remix of Time Has Come Today.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2013, 02:10:55 PM »
prior to Big Star).

Okay, although I don't entirely understand.  I admit that I know nothing about the operational
mechanics of being a radio DJ.  But she still goofed -- pushed the wrong button, or had the
wrong whatchamacallit in the thingamajig.  How does that happen if she worked on the set
days ago?  For that matter, I'm a little surprised that most 10@10 sets aren't constructed and
recorded in advance.  The whole thing would be played with the push of a button like an encore
set, leaving the DJ free to take BOS votes on the phone, etc.  I know Dave did some work off-air,
like his Friday Night Champagne Remix of Time Has Come Today.

I believe most of the songs you hear on KFOG are played from digital files.  Make sense since they have a fairly std playlist and you hear the same songs all the dang time    10at10s may feature things played from CD, and "the warmth of vinyl" might appear once in a blue moon, but think the library is mostly digitized.  so I'm guessing she did some pre-planning by creating some numbered playlist, like a cue sheet, and was probably working on two sets at once, from 72 and 67.  Then she put Turtles' Happy Together in 67 (rightly so) but then dragged the Partridge Fam title in the wrong list, too, maybe b/c it contains the word Happy..?  Then Thursday shows up and she's going through her list and hits "play" and all hell breaks loose.   

In short, I have no idea what she did.   ::)
~CPL593H~

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2013, 10:33:04 PM »

It's not that you have no idea what she's doing...
it's that sometimes it seems that she has no idea what she's doing.

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2013, 11:45:04 PM »

It's not that you have no idea what she's doing...
it's that sometimes it seems that she has no idea what she's doing.

At least she owned up to it in the backsell. Don't know what the convo was like on the KFOG FB page (or GS for that matter) but she copped to screwing up. So at least she seems to have learned *something* from her past transgressions.  (It probably does not hurt that she doesn't have DW calling her on her shit in a public forum and being an asshole while doing so.)

Also: the sets have continued to get better since DC got the heave-ho. Not great (at least not very often) but better.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2013, 09:31:21 AM »

Also: the sets have continued to get better since DC got the heave-ho. Not great (at least not very often) but better.

Whoever's in charge of them seems to have more leeway/inclination to mix in goofy pop stuff (or HFHs) which DC seemed to have an aversion to, as well as the occasional obscurity (that GrassRoots song the other day was one I'd never have predicted). The odd spacing of decades and repeats of years within the same week still seems strange, and I can't tell if they're really not paying attention or if that's an attempt to make the "roulette wheel" seem REALLY random.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Here'sToYa!

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 13, 2013, 10:53:51 AM »
Jimi Hendrix Experience "Red House"
I've always loved this song, but for most people, they probably weren't aware of it until after 1967, as it was not on the US release.  Nonetheless, I'm happy to hear it!

The eleven-plus minute version of Red House from the soundtrack to the film Jimi Hendrix was ecstasy-producing and my favorite-ever track when I was in junior high (a bit more than a decade after Jimi died).
Slipping into something
And out of something else