Author Topic: 29 July 2013: it's... 1980  (Read 11625 times)

CapnJack

• The Core
  • 10^4 Super Patriot
    • View Profile
Re: 29 July 2013: it's... 1980
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2013, 10:36:16 AM »
Grateful Dead "Alabama Getaway"
Tuned to a natural E

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2013, 10:36:50 AM »
Gotta give a little love for this rocker before Mike chips in!

ETA: Too late!
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2013, 10:39:20 AM »
Gotta give a little love for this rocker before Mike chips in!

ETA: Too late!

hehe, I like this one.   Jerry's not bad on this!  :)

~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2013, 10:39:22 AM »
VHM Ramones commercial
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

CapnJack

• The Core
  • 10^4 Super Patriot
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2013, 10:41:51 AM »
The Ramones "Do You Remember Rock And Roll Radio?"

Renee last played this February 13th.
Tuned to a natural E

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2013, 10:44:17 AM »
Some early promise that was dashed against the rocks, mostly. 
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

CapnJack

• The Core
  • 10^4 Super Patriot
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2013, 10:59:23 AM »
Renee: BOS Ramones; VHM GD and PT
Tuned to a natural E

Nate

• two bits
  • It's called "Internet"
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2013, 11:14:10 AM »
Well, I've always got the below audio from 5 years ago today, thanks to Dave Morey.

http://root.org/~nate/10at10_bday.mp3

CapnJack

• The Core
  • 10^4 Super Patriot
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2013, 09:50:37 PM »
Monday, July 29, 2013 - 1980  (AUDIO COMING SOON)

1. Generals and Majors - XTC
2. Canary in a Coal Mine - The Police
3. Tunnel of Love - Dire Straits
4. I Got You - Split Enz
5. The Tide is High - Blondie
6. Love Stinks - J. Geils Band
7. Rough Boys - Pete Townshend
8. Whip It - Devo
9. Alabama Getaway - Grateful Dead
10. Do You Remember Rock and Roll Radio - Ramones
Tuned to a natural E

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
  • Honorary Knight of the Command Line
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 29, 2013, 10:22:22 PM »

Double ugh.  There are a small number -- a very small number -- of Dead songs that are worse,
but this is certainly in the bottom five.  And as is too often the case on 10@10  these days, there
are far better alternatives.  Althea  has made several appearences, but would have been
welcome. Feel Like A Stranger would have been good bust-out.  And the bolder choice of
playing Lost Sailor/Saint of Circumstance would have driven the Deadheads into an apoplectic
frenzy.

And why not?  The apparent corporate-driven homogeneous play lists ignore the significant
and unique local populations in the area's listener base.  It goes beyond the fact that there
are a lot of Deadheads in the Bay Area.  San Francisco is one of the top cities in the country
for music.  There are a lot of musicians, and a lot of ancillary people in the music business.
I would think that deeper tracks are not as likely to be too obscure for this audience, nor do I
think that they always want nothing but the hits.
"Your favorite songs, played beautifully"

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 29, 2013, 10:27:33 PM »

Double ugh.  There are a small number -- a very small number -- of Dead songs that are worse,
but this is certainly in the bottom five.  And as is too often the case on 10@10  these days, there
are far better alternatives.  Althea  has made several appearences, but would have been
welcome. Feel Like A Stranger would have been good bust-out.  And the bolder choice of
playing Lost Sailor/Saint of Circumstance would have driven the Deadheads into an apoplectic
frenzy.

And why not?  The apparent corporate-driven homogeneous play lists ignore the significant
and unique local populations in the area's listener base.  It goes beyond the fact that there
are a lot of Deadheads in the Bay Area.  San Francisco is one of the top cities in the country
for music.  There are a lot of musicians, and a lot of ancillary people in the music business.
I would think that deeper tracks are not as likely to be too obscure for this audience, nor do I

I agree about those deeper tracks, DM used to play Althea a lot, but what's the problem with such a simple fun song?  Double-ugh?

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 29, 2013, 10:38:00 PM »
Another 1980 set that doesn't make the grade for me.  Between the LNs, the up-tempo jangly
numbers, and the songs I just don't like, none of the choices gets a BOS from me.

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 29, 2013, 10:50:20 PM »
frenzy.

I agree about those deeper tracks, DM used to play Althea a lot, but what's the problem with such a simple fun song?  Double-ugh?

It's so over-played that its limited charm has been completely offset.  I don't find it particularly
representative of the Dead in general, and it has most of the qualities in their music that I
don't care for, and too few of the ones that I do enjoy.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 30, 2013, 01:23:18 PM »
frenzy.
It's so over-played that its limited charm has been completely offset.  I don't find it particularly
representative of the Dead in general, and it has most of the qualities in their music that I
Join the club!  Lots of people here share your opinion.

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 30, 2013, 10:14:34 PM »
frenzy.
Join the club!  Lots of people here share your opinion.
Well you asked...

I greatly enjoy most of the Dead's catalog.  But they do have a handful of clunkers.