Author Topic: 5 July 2013... a "classic" from 1993  (Read 4427 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
5 July 2013... a "classic" from 1993
« on: July 05, 2013, 09:53:29 AM »
or so Tim indicated.

Feh: '93, starting with Belly. appears to be from Jan.

1. Belly - Feed The Tree
2. Cracker - Euro-Trash Girl
3. Concrete Blonde - Mexican Moon
(Commercial: you'll spend 24.5 years sleeping. 14.5 years working, etc)
4. Sheryl Crow - Leaving Las Vegas
5. John Hiatt - Perfectly Good Guitar
6. Counting Crows - Mr. Jones
7. Chris Isaak - San Francisco Days
(News: River Phoenix dead)
8. Morphine - Buena
9. 10,000 Maniacs - Because The Night
(Movie: Coneheads - I come from France)
10. Red Hot Chili Peppers - Soul To Squeeze
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 10:03:57 AM by RGMike »
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
Re: 5 July 2013... a "classic" from ??
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2013, 10:03:01 AM »
1993.  It looks like this one, from Jan. 24 of this year:

1. Belly - Feed The Tree
2. Cracker - Euro-Trash Girl
3. Concrete Blonde - Mexican Moon
(Commercial: you'll spend 24.5 years sleeping. 14.5 years working, etc)
4. Sheryl Crow - Leaving Las Vegas
5. John Hiatt - Perfectly Good Guitar
6. Counting Crows - Mr. Jones
7. Chris Isaak - San Francisco Days
(News: River Phoenix dead)
8. Morphine - Buena
9. 10,000 Maniacs - Because The Night
(Movie: Coneheads - I come from France)
10. Red Hot Chili Peppers - Soul To Squeeze

A couple decent tracks, a couple of wretched ones, lots of LN's, nothing earth shattering.  First 90s set in how long, and it's a rerun.  Meh.  (Not that a new one would be that much better.)

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
Re: 5 July 2013... a "classic" from 1993
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2013, 10:45:55 AM »
BOS, Counting Crows
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

Here'sToYa!

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2013, 11:06:55 AM »
I believe the Ranter-in-Chief on FB has mentioned this, but it bears repeating here: except for side players, 10@10 is becoming an exclusively Caucasian enclave. Sure, the sets have improved since the sacking of DC, but changing this trend would be most welcome.
Slipping into something
And out of something else

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2013, 01:10:09 PM »
I believe the Ranter-in-Chief on FB has mentioned this, but it bears repeating here: except for side players, 10@10 is becoming an exclusively Caucasian enclave. Sure, the sets have improved since the sacking of DC, but changing this trend would be most welcome.

Agreed -- even the mostly excellent '60s and '70s sets have been soul-free.  Which is really odd, given what's available in those years.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2013, 02:14:35 PM »

Agreed -- even the mostly excellent '60s and '70s sets have been soul-free.  Which is really odd, given what's available in those years.

How many artists of color are in the regular KFOG rotation?  I'm guessing not many.  I agree that the sprinkling of soul and funk is great in 10at10s, but if the business is targeting the white middle age demo, it sorta makes some sense from the corporation's standpoint to not makes radio waves in the sets. 

~CPL593H~

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2013, 04:14:43 PM »

How many artists of color are in the regular KFOG rotation?  I'm guessing not many.  I agree that the sprinkling of soul and funk is great in 10at10s, but if the business is targeting the white middle age demo, it sorta makes some sense from the corporation's standpoint to not makes radio waves in the sets.

It isn't a lot, but it's at least a sprinkling.  There's Emeli Sande, Gary Clark Jr., Michael Kiwanuka, Michael Franti, and the girl from Alabama Shakes and Fitz & the Tantrums.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2013, 04:28:48 PM »

It isn't a lot, but it's at least a sprinkling.  There's Emeli Sande, Gary Clark Jr., Michael Kiwanuka, Michael Franti, and the girl from Alabama Shakes and Fitz & the Tantrums.

those are all artists of "currents" as you radio folks say? In the 10at10 years, I suppose they stick to what they played back then, AOR, which is pretty white. But at least some female artists were played. 

Then again, 10at10 is a chance for KFOG to break out of their usual space and get diverse.   Then again (again), to a lot of folks, including the typical KFOG listener, "diverse" might mean playing If You Can't Rock Me instead of It's Only Rock N Roll in a 74 set.
~CPL593H~

CapnJack

• The Core
  • 10^4 Super Patriot
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2013, 05:24:20 PM »

those are all artists of "currents" as you radio folks say? In the 10at10 years, I suppose they stick to what they played back then, AOR, which is pretty white. But at least some female artists were played. 

Then again, 10at10 is a chance for KFOG to break out of their usual space and get diverse.   Then again (again), to a lot of folks, including the typical KFOG listener, "diverse" might mean playing If You Can't Rock Me instead of It's Only Rock N Roll in a 74 set.

Lenny Kravitz, Tracy Chapman, Robert Cray... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPQpsipHKU8)

My recent '74 set (https://soundcloud.com/retrocapnjack/50-10-10-1974) tilted in the opposite direction...
Tuned to a natural E

Here'sToYa!

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2013, 09:33:52 PM »

That's what I was thinking, Cat. The station is re-branding, yet again, so it wants to stay consistent in its musical choices, which in radio for the last however many decades means segregation.
Slipping into something
And out of something else

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2013, 04:46:05 PM »
That's what I was thinking, Cat. The station is re-branding, yet again, so it wants to stay consistent in its musical choices, which in radio for the last however many decades means segregation.
It's one thing to cop out and say you're just trying to appeal to a white audience (This may be sadly true) but that doesn't translate to white listeners not wanting to hear black music. 
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2013, 03:59:14 PM »
Who has more soul? Lenny Kravitz or Hall-n-Oates? It does seem that what black artists KFOG does play don't really fit the definition of R-n-B (Noelle, from Fitz & The Tantrums, has the chops to do almost anything).

What would be an interesting 10@10 that won't happen: Black artists who don't sound black.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2013, 04:06:18 PM »

What would be an interesting 10@10 that won't happen: Black artists who don't sound black.

followed by 10 white artists who DO sound black.

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2013, 08:56:24 PM »

First name that comes to mind: Fefe Dobson.

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2013, 05:49:22 AM »

First name that comes to mind: Fefe Dobson.

Ha! I was thinking of candidates, and she was amongst the first, along with Tasmin Archer.