Author Topic: 30 April 2013: it's... 1978  (Read 7501 times)

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
  • Honorary Knight of the Command Line
    • View Profile
Re: 30 April 2013: it's... 1978
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2013, 07:58:29 PM »
1978.  Bleagh.  The best I can say is that it could have been much worse.  A tolerable collection
of mostly-overplayed songs, with the Blues Brothers & Bob Marley "rarities."
"Your favorite songs, played beautifully"

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2013, 09:14:52 PM »
LN1: da Straits and da Sultanz.
I think it's important to remember how jaw-droppingly gripping this sounded coming out of KSAN back in the day, when this was an undiscovered band.  I saw their first couple of gigs at The Old Waldorf, site of other debuts I saw (Elvis Costello, Tom Petty).
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2013, 07:41:06 AM »
1978.  Bleagh.  The best I can say is that it could have been much worse.  A tolerable collection
of mostly-overplayed songs, with the Blues Brothers & Bob Marley "rarities."

Any '78 set that avoids "Thunder Island" and "Dreadlock Holiday" is halfway to being decent, IMHO, but yeah it coulda been far more adventurous.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Here'sToYa!

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2013, 10:15:41 AM »
I think it's important to remember how jaw-droppingly gripping this sounded coming out of KSAN back in the day, when this was an undiscovered band.  I saw their first couple of gigs at The Old Waldorf, site of other debuts I saw (Elvis Costello, Tom Petty).

I remember rooting for it to climb the charts when I was in fifth grade. I think it reached number four. I still enjoy it every time because of the sentimental value, though it certainly has enjoyed a hefty amount of airplay over the years.
Slipping into something
And out of something else

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
  • Honorary Knight of the Command Line
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2013, 11:15:26 PM »

While I can't address the KSAN aspect, you make a good point about context.  Part of my problem
with popular music in 1978 is that "rock" was largely tired and played-out, with little creativity
in evidence from many long-established bands.  Punk & funk, particularly the harder core examples,
understandably didn't get much mainstream airplay.  New Wave was just a tiny ripple.  And disco
was very polarizing.   Against that backdrop, groups like Dire Straits and The Cars sounded fresh
and exciting.  Still, there was relatively little new stuff overall, and thus as soon as 1979 both
those bands were well on their way to being overplayed.
"Your favorite songs, played beautifully"