Author Topic: 12 April 2013: it's... 1964!!  (Read 15061 times)

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
  • Honorary Knight of the Command Line
    • View Profile
Re: 12 April 2013: it's... ??
« Reply #45 on: April 12, 2013, 10:32:53 PM »
'64 has only been visited once in the DC/RR era - and that was by Rosalie! (Way back in October)

AL did 1964 twice, and it was also in some of her "chartbusters" sets.  I also have one song
in a DM vertical tasting, but no complete sets.
"Your favorite songs, played beautifully"

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
Re: 12 April 2013: it's... 1964!!
« Reply #46 on: April 12, 2013, 10:44:18 PM »
just listening to Dylan on the replay, and it occurs to me that in 1964, I'm not sure what radio station where one would've heard this song.  I imagine somewhere, but unlike all the other songs, which I did hear on the radio, this was something shared via vinyl, and historically pumped up after the fact.  Great song.

Apart from possibly college radio stations?  I guess the question would be were any commercial
radio stations playing a lot of folk music?  And I don't mean the occasional "Where Have All the
Flowers Gone?"  It seems entirely possible in a big cosmopolitan market like NYC, not so much
elsewhere.  My parents had lots of Dylan records; they must have heard about them somehow.
I will inquire.

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 12, 2013, 10:48:09 PM »
I'm predicting 1990, as that's the early-'90s year we haven't visited lately (been nearly 2 months).  I'd be thrilled to be surprised by, oh, '66 or '67... but I'm not holding my breath. Tax Day set on Monday?

holee crap: it's '64!

Wow!  Did not see that coming!

It was a time when pop was still king, and "rock" as such didn't really
exist -- it was still "rock 'n' roll."  Given how few times we've been
here, it's impossible to label anything as LN or a frequent flyer.  And
most of the big musical trends were represented:  girl groups, folk music,
the British Invasion, and even a bit of surf music.  Ten-way tie for BOS!
The songs that really took me back were the Supremes and Dave Clark 5.

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 13, 2013, 06:24:54 AM »
I'm thinking 1964 is the effective backstop for 10@10 nowadays... when was the last time 63 came along?

Apart from a song in three AL "chartbuster" sets from the sixties, 1963 does not appear in my files.

Thanks. I have to think the last 63 set was done by Dave in the late 90's.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 13, 2013, 11:15:30 AM »
I'm thinking 1964 is the effective backstop for 10@10 nowadays... when was the last time 63 came along?

Apart from a song in three AL "chartbuster" sets from the sixties, 1963 does not appear in my files.

further back than that. '63 had "fallen off the big wheel" by the time I came onboard in '92. And '64 was pretty rare even then.  Tho' there remains the story of Dave's famous '63 segue regarding the JFK shooting.  News clip: "Where did  the shots seem to come from?" --> "Up on the Roof" (!)
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Here'sToYa!

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 13, 2013, 12:52:49 PM »

further back than that. '63 had "fallen off the big wheel" by the time I came onboard in '92. And '64 was pretty rare even then.  Tho' there remains the story of Dave's famous '63 segue regarding the JFK shooting.  News clip: "Where did  the shots seem to come from?" --> "Up on the Roof" (!)

1963 isn't even nostalgia anymore, it's archived in Musical History with Civil War music or Dixieland.
Slipping into something
And out of something else

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 14, 2013, 06:22:34 AM »

That's a shame, because there's some superb pop music from the early '60s.  But the problem is
(dare I say it?) dagnabbit, the songs are just too darn short!  Also, the proper way to listen to any
set from those years would be with a hand-held transistor AM radio.

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 14, 2013, 06:23:42 AM »
1963 isn't even nostalgia anymore, it's archived in Musical History with Civil War music or Dixieland.

What is history for younger people is memories for others.  As far as Dixieland, you've apparently
never heard of, or heard, the New Black Eagle Jazz Band, to give but one example.

Here'sToYa!

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 15, 2013, 02:34:28 PM »

What is history for younger people is memories for others.  As far as Dixieland, you've apparently
never heard of, or heard, the New Black Eagle Jazz Band, to give but one example.

I was looking at it from the radio perspective.
Slipping into something

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 15, 2013, 10:56:27 PM »

I'm reasonably certain that Civil War music didn't get any radio play in its time.  Dunno about
Dixieland.  There's probably a station somewhere that plays Dixieland as part of a speciality
program, but that's not enough to invalidate your point.

But early '60s pop... Surely that is a regular part of what is consider "oldies" programming these
days?  Are there any self-declared "oldies" stations in the Bay Area, and if so, what do they play?

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 16, 2013, 07:44:36 AM »
But early '60s pop... Surely that is a regular part of what is consider "oldies" programming these
days?  Are there any self-declared "oldies" stations in the Bay Area, and if so, what do they play?

Sadly, "oldies" stations play little pre-Beatles music these days; maybe a token Chuck Berry or Elvis track is in the mix. Roy O's "Pretty Woman" probably gets some play. But that's about it. Oldies 103.7 is mostly '70s & '80s and their '60s library is pretty obvious choices (Beatles, Beach Boys, Motown and of course the ubiquitous "Brown Eyed Girl").  There are oldies stations that concentrate on '55 thru '64 but their number is shrinking all the time and most are on AM.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Here'sToYa!

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 16, 2013, 07:54:42 AM »

I'm reasonably certain that Civil War music didn't get any radio play in its time.  Dunno about
Dixieland.  There's probably a station somewhere that plays Dixieland as part of a speciality
program, but that's not enough to invalidate your point.

That last paragraph is what I was getting at with my comment. Oldies 103.7 is quite popular (correct me if I'm wrong here, ratings followers), and its programming is Seventies-centric. There seems to be as much Eighties as Sixties, the latter of which is at least half Beatles and Motown. Pre-British Invasion Sixties pop is not played at all. Hence my observation that, from the nostalgia radio programmer's POV, early Sixties is as much consigned to the dustbin of musical history as popular music from earlier eras. That's not a comment on the quality or relevance of said music. You just won't hear it on commercial radio anymore.

As for non-commercial radio, there is a pretty cool Big Band station on the left of the dial, at 89.1, I believe.
Slipping into something

Here'sToYa!

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 16, 2013, 07:56:45 AM »

Sadly, "oldies" stations play little pre-Beatles music these days; maybe a token Chuck Berry or Elvis track is in the mix. Roy O's "Pretty Woman" probably gets some play. But that's about it. Oldies 103.7 is mostly '70s & '80s and their '60s library is pretty obvious choices (Beatles, Beach Boys, Motown and of course the ubiquitous "Brown Eyed Girl").  There are oldies stations that concentrate on '55 thru '64 but their number is shrinking all the time and most are on AM.

RGMike, you beat me to it, and your post is more concise, but I posted anyway. Typing on a smart phone keyboard is a lot of work.
Slipping into something

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 16, 2013, 09:39:41 AM »

KLYC, the oldies station based in McMinnville, OR that I have mentioned here periodically, had a playlist that encompassed 50s r&r all the way up to the 80s new wave/synth pop. Sadly, they just went off the air a couple of weeks ago, which only proves your point.
Let's get right to it.

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 18, 2013, 09:48:51 PM »
just listening to Dylan on the replay, and it occurs to me that in 1964, I'm not sure what radio station where one would've heard this song.  I imagine somewhere, but unlike all the other songs, which I did hear on the radio, this was something shared via vinyl, and historically pumped up after the fact.  Great song.

I asked my mother about this, and the answer was somewhat obvious in retrospect.
She said that some of Dylan's less incendiary songs from earlier albums, like
"Blowin' In the Wind," were occasionally played on the radio.  As for herself,
she was a regular reader of the New York Times, particularly the Arts section,
and thus read the album reviews.  As a follower of the folk scene, this would
have been a primary source of information about new music.  At that point, I
offered that there may have been record stores that still allowed one to listen
to albums before purchase.  "Who had time for that?," she replied.  "I was busy
raising three kids.  It was easier just to buy the record."

She also related that she and my father went to see Dylan when he played at "The
Barn" -- a fairly intimate 3,000+ seat arena on the Rutgers University campus in
New Brunswick.  During his performance of "Talkin' John Birch Paranoid Blues," one
couple near them was offended and walked out of the show.