Author Topic: 31 Jan 2013: it's... 1971!  (Read 10899 times)

Here'sToYa!

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
Re: 31 Jan 2013: it's... 1971!
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2013, 10:56:39 AM »
I think "Imagine" is genuinely a bad song, not just overplayed. Its lowest common denominator sentimentality is way, way beneath John's often breathtaking originality, and I suppose I resent that it's regarded as his signature song.

I think maybe the piano/melody makes it seem more sentimental than it is. The utopian lyric (particularly "imagine no religion") was pretty controversial at the time.

Yeah, maybe it's the legacy and reception
Slipping into something
And out of something else

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
Re: 31 Jan 2013: it's... 1971!
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2013, 08:57:18 PM »
I think "Imagine" is genuinely a bad song, not just overplayed. Its lowest common denominator sentimentality is way, way beneath John's often breathtaking originality, and I suppose I resent that it's regarded as his signature song.
I think maybe the piano/melody makes it seem more sentimental than it is. The utopian lyric (particularly "imagine no religion") was pretty controversial at the time.
Yeah, maybe it's the legacy and reception

Just because one is brave enough to criticize a sacred cow doesn't make the opinion any more valid.  There are for sure, potential areas of ridicule, because of the song's utopian theme.  You know, corny caricature of hippiedom, etc. But I think John Lennon's talent was just that, to put something obvious and direct in a lyric.  The lyrical sentiment resonates deeply with people, albeit those who put aside cynicism.  Also, the piano sound is magical.  The lush reverb works perfectly.

When we've played that song for the residents of Laguna Honda Hospital, the last verse really hits me.  "Imaging no possessions, I wonder if you can" we sing, and there we are playing for those that actually have close to nothing.  I have also played it at church, where it works very well.  Most church folk get it, but it does piss off certain church music directors I've met!
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!