Author Topic: 15 Oct 2012: it's... 1981  (Read 12475 times)

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
Re: 15 Oct 2012: it's... 1981
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2012, 11:02:54 AM »
1. J. Geils Band - Centerfold
(Movie: Mommy Dearest - I love you Mommy Dearest. No one said life was fair.)
2. Duran Duran - Girls On Film
3. Stray Cats - Stray Cat Strut
4. Jon and Vangelis - Friends of Mr. Cairo
(Pacman)
5. The Police - Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic
6. Blondie - Rapture
(News: Japanese scientist look at med-flies in Calif)
7. Phil Collins - In The Air Tonite
8. Kim Carnes - Bette Davis Eyes
(Commcercial: The gull wing doors of the DeLorean, a perfect place to hide your cocaine)
9. Human League - Don't You Want Me?
10. John Lennon - (Just Like) Starting Over

So, there are five #1 songs (1, 6, 8, 9, 10), three AAA standbys (3, 5, 7), an overplayed MTV staple (2), and one legitamite surprise (4). This gets an aggregate D-.

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2012, 11:36:31 AM »
IIRC, AL was also pretty nutso about the release date & threw in quite a few tracks on their UK release.  One that comes to mind was David Gray's "Please Forgive Me" which she played in 1998, even though it wasn't released in the US until 2000 and didn't really hit the airwaves until 2001.  Then there was the "Southside" fiasco.

It could be argued that if Renee's playing the hits, then she should play them in the year that they were hits -- but I can't get too mad about her playing a song in its release year.  I'd rather complain about hearing too many overplayed songs @ 10@10, regardless of whether she plays them in the UK or US release year.

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2012, 11:49:28 AM »
IIRC, AL was also pretty nutso about the release date & threw in quite a few tracks on their UK release.  One that comes to mind was David Gray's "Please Forgive Me" which she played in 1998, even though it wasn't released in the US until 2000 and didn't really hit the airwaves until 2001.  Then there was the "Southside" fiasco.

It could be argued that if Renee's playing the hits, then she should play them in the year that they were hits -- but I can't get too mad about her playing a song in its release year.  I'd rather complain about hearing too many overplayed songs @ 10@10, regardless of whether she plays them in the UK or US release year.

But "Southside" is the exception that proves the rule, don't you think? AL certainly wasn't doing this 3-4 times a set.

And yeah, the year selection has been earlier than expected, but we're getting way, way too many LNs.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2012, 12:05:44 PM »

But "Southside" is the exception that proves the rule, don't you think? AL certainly wasn't doing this 3-4 times a set.

And yeah, the year selection has been earlier than expected, but we're getting way, way too many LNs.

If nothing else, be consistent. She played "Starting Over", which was certainly on the charts thoughout early '81, but which AL and DM both played mostly in 1980 (often after a Lennon shooting clip).
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2012, 12:18:42 PM »

To be fair, I couldn't tell you if a song played before ~93 was released the year before it was a hit.  But I do remember AL saying flat-out that she prefers to play a song in its release year.  I guess one thing that made it less noticeable is that a lot of tracks AL played weren't hits anywhere, or were barely hits, so release year vs. hit year was moot.

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2012, 01:10:43 PM »
Good points. Listening to RR reminds me of overhearing idiots talk about sports getting basic tidbits wrong, i.e “Bonds was on roids when he broke McGwire’s record in 96”. I mean, I can understand not getting the year F.P. Santangelo played for the Giants right, but it’s like Come On!

Putting "Stray Cat Strut" and "Don't You Want Me" into 1981 is what really galls me about this set - both are much, much, much more identified with 1982.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 01:13:24 PM by Big Fingers McGee »

Here'sToYa!

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2012, 05:12:23 PM »
Good points. Listening to RR reminds me of overhearing idiots talk about sports getting basic tidbits wrong, i.e “Bonds was on roids when he broke McGwire’s record in 96”. I mean, I can understand not getting the year F.P. Santangelo played for the Giants right, but it’s like Come On!

Putting "Stray Cat Strut" and "Don't You Want Me" into 1981 is what really galls me about this set - both are much, much, much more identified with 1982.

Both strands of this discussion highlight the fact that 10@10 is in the hands of someone who is not a musical historian, which is a shame. Dred is a superb musical historian, which would seem to make him a natural for 10@10, but I'm sure the honchos are much happier parking him well outside of radio primetime.
Slipping into something
And out of something else

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2012, 06:24:54 PM »

Both strands of this discussion highlight the fact that 10@10 is in the hands of someone who is not a musical historian, which is a shame. Dred is a superb musical historian, which would seem to make him a natural for 10@10, but I'm sure the honchos are much happier parking him well outside of radio primetime.

Of course, we're told that DC is a musical historian too, but he clearly thinks it doesn't matter, 10@10-wise. If KFOG can get the same ratings in that hour without exerting too much effort, then why make a big production out of it. The casual Foghead doesn't notice the difference, in all likelihood.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2012, 09:49:08 PM »

Of course, we're told that DC is a musical historian too, but he clearly thinks it doesn't matter, 10@10-wise. If KFOG can get the same ratings in that hour without exerting too much effort, then why make a big production out of it. The casual Foghead doesn't notice the difference, in all likelihood.

If he thinks it doesn't matter, than he really is evil.