Author Topic: 2 October 2012: It's.... 1988  (Read 9737 times)

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
2 October 2012: It's.... 1988
« on: October 01, 2012, 09:47:04 PM »
Or so the rumor has it. So, let's see, what will RR play? "Heat Of The Moment", "Down Under", "Don't You Want Me", "Centerfold", "Jack And Diane", "Waiting For A Girl Like You". Sorry Tinka, "New World Man" failed to make the Top 20.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 10:02:28 AM by RGMike »

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: 2 October 2012: It's.... 1982?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2012, 07:28:07 AM »
Or so the rumor has it. So, let's see, what will RR play? "Heat Of The Moment", "Down Under", "Don't You Want Me", "Centerfold", "Jack And Diane", "Waiting For A Girl Like You". Sorry Tinka, "New World Man" failed to make the Top 20.

and this rumor comes from... where?
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2012, 08:07:49 AM »

and this rumor comes from... where?

Unsubstantiated from our good friend SR. His guess is as good as any, as our new host "doesn't do social media".

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2012, 08:30:25 AM »
I guess RR isn't going to make a FB 10@10 page after all, like she had previously said she would.  (That was also when she said there'd be a 'no negativity' rule.)

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2012, 08:44:04 AM »
I guess RR isn't going to make a FB 10@10 page after all, like she had previously said she would.  (That was also when she said there'd be a 'no negativity' rule.)

I'm going to pretend that yesterday's debacle didn't happen, after I vent a little here.

It would have been one thing if RR had responded to our criticism by saying something to the effect of "This is new for all of us - bear with me a little" or "AL left big shoes to fill" or "send suggestions to this email/FB address" or even "we're trying to expand our audience". But instead we get "you're wrong" and "I don't do social media". Now, I am as tired as anyone of hearing about media strategies and whatnot, but I am pretty damn sure her approach was about the worst possible. It would have been better if she hadn't responded at all.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2012, 09:13:46 AM »

I'm going to pretend that yesterday's debacle didn't happen, after I vent a little here.

It would have been one thing if RR had responded to our criticism by saying something to the effect of "This is new for all of us - bear with me a little" or "AL left big shoes to fill" or "send suggestions to this email/FB address" or even "we're trying to expand our audience". But instead we get "you're wrong" and "I don't do social media". Now, I am as tired as anyone of hearing about media strategies and whatnot, but I am pretty damn sure her approach was about the worst possible. It would have been better if she hadn't responded at all.

well said, sir.   If we really are getting '82, then (as I said yesterday) it will be a true test of whether RR is capable of anything. The '80s are supposed to be her territory.

I was lucky to be home yesterday where FB is easy to use. But at work it's pretty much impossible to use during peak hours -- between our older browsers and even older PCs FB freezes up constantly.  So most of my comments will be in this forum today.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 09:16:16 AM by RGMike »

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2012, 09:35:29 AM »
I think you all are being just a bit harsh.  Everyone went in with a negative attitude.  As bad as the people that are giving AL a bad time for not being Greg Kihn.  Just chill for a while.  You have plenty of time to rail on her in a week or two.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2012, 09:43:14 AM »
I think you all are being just a bit harsh.  Everyone went in with a negative attitude.  As bad as the people that are giving AL a bad time for not being Greg Kihn.  Just chill for a while.  You have plenty of time to rail on her in a week or two.

I'm no Renee fan, but I gotta agree with this.  I realize that as a public figure you're supposed to be able to take criticism, but some of the comments directed at her, although funny, weren't exactly constructive.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2012, 09:59:51 AM »

I'm no Renee fan, but I gotta agree with this.  I realize that as a public figure you're supposed to be able to take criticism, but some of the comments directed at her, although funny, weren't exactly constructive.

No. Sorry. It's not like DC called her at 6am yesterday and said "you gotta throw together a 10@10 for today"  She had 2 weeks, and it was very bare-bones and uninteresting. Everything about it said she's not too interested in being creative or working very hard on it. And granted, we've been spoiled by DM and AL's great work, but still. Would I have cut, say, Dred more slack? probably, because RR has a history of being snippy on FB. Do I want her to improve? yes, because otherwise I'll stop listening.  I see a strong possibility that "bare-bones" is what DC wants (because that way anyone can do it, and when RR is on vacay someone else can fill in rather than running "classics") and if she's just doing what she's told then that's depressing too.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 10:04:27 AM by RGMike »

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: 2 October 2012: It's.... 1988
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2012, 10:03:03 AM »
OK ... '88. Still '80s.  "Desire" a big-hit TOTHK.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2012, 10:05:43 AM »
Big hit #2: Escape Club.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2012, 10:12:15 AM »
yay -- a movie clip! BOS Roger Rabbit.

and another big-hit LN: George got his mind set.

Davefish

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2012, 10:16:38 AM »
Hey, here's something! Is this Siouxsie? NTM.

ETA: Yep, apparently it's called "The Killing Jar". I dig the frogs.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 10:18:24 AM by Davefish »
"Play the tape machine, make the toast and tea"

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2012, 10:18:08 AM »
song 4 is NTM -- so BOSFRA.  Sounds like Siouxie?

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2012, 10:20:46 AM »
Hey, here's something! Is this Siouxsie? NTM.

ETA: Yep, apparently it's called "The Killing Jar". I dig the frogs.

NTM Siouxie JINX!  Def something that AL woulda played (and may have, but I don't recall it)

And those campaign ads sounded new too.