Author Topic: Thurs 8/18/05 yet another "classic" (1987)  (Read 11981 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Thurs 8/18/05 yet another "classic" (1987)
« on: August 18, 2005, 07:38:20 AM »
and yet another sick day for Dave, who's resting up for tomorrow's live shot.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2005, 07:59:56 AM »
I'm gonna guess 1976.  Wishful thinking, perhaps, given that I'm leaving for Philly in a few hours.  Has Dave ever played "Philadelphia Freedom" in a set?
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2005, 08:19:50 AM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"
I'm gonna guess 1976.  Wishful thinking, perhaps, given that I'm leaving for Philly in a few hours.  Has Dave ever played "Philadelphia Freedom" in a set?

Hooking up with Mr Burrell, eh? :wink:

I'm sure Dave's played PF at least once, tho' I couldn't tell you how long ago.

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2005, 08:36:06 AM »

I'm sure he's done PF. Love that song. I miss Dave.
Sharks bleed teal.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2005, 08:58:35 AM »
Quote from: "RGMike"

Dunno if I told you all already -- but tonight's Gay Community Night at Philly, and Outsports.com co-founder Cyd Zeigler is throwing out the first pitch.  I'm going there with him to take pictures, chat with people, write a feature and have a gay old time.  If I manage to run into Mr. Burrell (or Mr. Utley, or Mr. Michaels, or Mr. Lieberthal), so much the better.  I'm just hoping the Philly fans don't throw batteries at our section or punches at the people within it.  Times have changed, but Philadelphians remain a surly lot, so one never knows.

Speaking of Outsports, I'm being flown to Montreal over Labor Day weekend on their behalf on a press junket promoting the Montreal 2006 Outgames, a sort of gay Olympics (if you've heard of the Gay Games, it's pretty much the same thing).  Should be interesting.

I need to hear Billy Ocean's "Suddenly" *right now*, and I don't know why.  Anyone know who might be playing him?
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2005, 09:07:43 AM »

Dunno if I told you all already -- but tonight's Gay Community Night at Philly, and Outsports.com co-founder Cyd Zeigler is throwing out the first pitch.  I'm going there with him to take pictures, chat with people, write a feature and have a gay old time.  If I manage to run into Mr. Burrell (or Mr. Utley, or Mr. Michaels, or Mr. Lieberthal), so much the better.  I'm just hoping the Philly fans don't throw batteries at our section or punches at the people within it.  Times have changed, but Philadelphians remain a surly lot, so one never knows.

Speaking of Outsports, I'm being flown to Montreal over Labor Day weekend on their behalf on a press junket promoting the Montreal 2006 Outgames, a sort of gay Olympics (if you've heard of the Gay Games, it's pretty much the same thing).  Should be interesting.

I need to hear Billy Ocean's "Suddenly" *right now*, and I don't know why.  Anyone know who might be playing him?

Congrats on the outsports gigs!  Will you get to meet the infamous "Joe in Philly"?  Tell the outsporters RGMike sez "HI!"

as to "Suddenly"  -- your local "lite FM", WLTW surely has it in rotation.

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2005, 09:57:51 AM »
And we have 1987. Gack
SURELY a 70's set tomorrow.
Sharks bleed teal.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2005, 10:00:10 AM »
Quote from: "Alicat"
And we have 1987. Gack
SURELY a 70's set tomorrow.

One can only hope. Lone Justice or not, '87 back-to-back with '90 is just inexcusable.

This may be the first weekend in ages that I won't wake up to the marathon.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2005, 10:03:41 AM »
after hearing its commented-upon sound-alike last week, here's "Finest Work Song".

Betcha Georgie M's "Faith" is on deck...

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2005, 10:04:24 AM »

there's beauty up above, and things we never take notice of...

i'll excuse the preposition placement.

gaz, remember (re: the spinners):

"i grew up in philly! that's all they played, that stuff...that and elton john."

?

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2005, 10:09:33 AM »
after hearing its commented-upon sound-alike last week, here's "Finest Work Song".

Betcha Georgie M's "Faith" is on deck...

was that last week? i remember the convo, but i don't remember the song now...i hope not "faith." i hope "hand to mouth."

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2005, 10:10:01 AM »
I'm back from Denver but have to go to a meeting right now & will miss the rest of the set.  Here all day tomorrow & then off to Shanghai for 3 days next week.

Yesterday while driving around in Rocky Mountain Nat'l Park I was listening to KBCO's Ten@10, which uses the same tagline "Ten great songs from One great year" as everyone else.  Main difference is that they aren't commercial free throughout.  Yesterday was 1995, with soundbites from Desperado, Tommy Boy & the reading of the OJ Not Guilty verdict. I'll post the songlist later when I have time

And yes they stream (http://www.kbco.com/main.html), although I haven't tried it yet.  So we can listen to a set in each time zone going forward.  In case anyone wasn't wasting enough time at work yet.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2005, 10:10:05 AM »
eeks, "C'est la KatriNevil".   I'm really tempted to bail aagain.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2005, 10:11:20 AM »
Quote from: "princessofcairo"

gaz, remember (re: the spinners):

"i grew up in philly! that's all they played, that stuff...that and elton john."

?

Bahaha!  That was a great line.  Philly got more soul!  And Elton!

P.S.  I'm trying to place your sig line & am drawing blanks.

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2005, 10:14:53 AM »
HM to the Petty track, just cuz it probably hasn't been played since this was first aired.
Let's get right to it.