Author Topic: RIP Andy Griffith, 86  (Read 3731 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: RIP Andy Griffith, 86
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 08:52:21 AM »
http://content.usatoday.com/communities/entertainment/post/2012/07/andy-griffith-dies-at-age-86/1

RIP.  Seemed to be as nice a guy off screen as he was on.

I'm sure you're right, which is what made his role in Elia Kazan's A Face in The Crowd such a departure for him. If you haven't seen it I highly recommend it. Griffith plays a character whose public image seems pretty close to Andy's own, but his private persona is quite different.

A few years ago Sarah and I visited Mt. Airy, NC, where Andy grew up, and which was purportedly the inspiration for Mayberry. Talk about a town that has reinvented itself around a television show, this is it. Very charming and cute, but if The Andy Griffith Show had never existed I can't imagine what it would be like.

RIP Andy.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2012, 06:55:39 PM »
http://content.usatoday.com/communities/entertainment/post/2012/07/andy-griffith-dies-at-age-86/1

I'm sure you're right, which is what made his role in Elia Kazan's A Face in The Crowd such a departure for him. If you haven't seen it I highly recommend it. Griffith plays a character whose public image seems pretty close to Andy's own, but his private persona is quite different.

A few years ago Sarah and I visited Mt. Airy, NC, where Andy grew up, and which was purportedly the inspiration for Mayberry. Talk about a town that has reinvented itself around a television show, this is it. Very charming and cute, but if The Andy Griffith Show had never existed I can't imagine what it would be like.

RIP Andy.
I heard on the radio this afternoon that the reason Keith Olbermann always calls Glenn Beck "Lonesome Roads Beck" is because of the character Andy Griffith played in the movie.  I haven't seen it, perhaps it will be on a channel I get soon.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2012, 08:24:32 PM »

RIP Andy.
I heard on the radio this afternoon that the reason Keith Olbermann always calls Glenn Beck "Lonesome Roads Beck" is because of the character Andy Griffith played in the movie.  I haven't seen it, perhaps it will be on a channel I get soon.

Yes, the movie is indeed a very prescient.

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2012, 11:00:13 PM »

RIP Andy.

TCM shows it on occasion.  I hate it.  Andy is the Mayberry sherrif for me, for now and always. 
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2012, 12:36:46 AM »

RIP Andy.

TCM is showing it on Friday at 1:45 in the am (although check the schedule--that might be eastern time).  And I'd bet that since Andy's death it gets shown a few more times in the near future.
Let's get right to it.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2012, 07:00:28 PM »
TCM is showing it on Friday at 1:45 in the am (although check the schedule--that might be eastern time).  And I'd bet that since Andy's death it gets shown a few more times in the near future.
Damn, I've gotta get a DVR
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2012, 10:58:37 AM »
Andy Griffith Show marathon on TVLand starts in 2 minutes.