Author Topic: I'm tryin' to tell you somethin' 'bout my life  (Read 263842 times)

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: I'm tryin' to tell you somethin' 'bout my life
« Reply #315 on: September 11, 2008, 11:07:49 PM »
Excellent set from Dave today, which I hope put me in a good frame of mind. I've got a phone interview for a job in a few minutes, so any forthcoming good vibes will be gratefully received.

Good luck, bud (probably belated).

Yeah, but greatly appreciated nonetheless. Went pretty well, the guy I talked to pretty much said he was going to ask HR to set up a face-to-face meeting. So it looks like I passed this level.
Fantastico!  In the copyediting realm, or have you moved on to other gigs?

Yep, some copyediting but also quite a bit of QA work. For a big chipmaker (rhymes with "bin-smell") that has quite a big presence in the Portland area.

I used to have some contacts there, but they were all in the supply chain side.  Would you have to commute to Beaverton?

No, to Hillsboro, which is where the big Intel campus is. It's a little closer than Beaverton.
Let's get right to it.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: September 12, 2008, 08:44:10 AM »
Excellent set from Dave today, which I hope put me in a good frame of mind. I've got a phone interview for a job in a few minutes, so any forthcoming good vibes will be gratefully received.

Yeah, but greatly appreciated nonetheless. Went pretty well, the guy I talked to pretty much said he was going to ask HR to set up a face-to-face meeting. So it looks like I passed this level.

Yep, some copyediting but also quite a bit of QA work. For a big chipmaker (rhymes with "bin-smell") that has quite a big presence in the Portland area.

I used to have some contacts there, but they were all in the supply chain side.  Would you have to commute to Beaverton?

No, to Hillsboro, which is where the big Intel campus is. It's a little closer than Beaverton.

Oops, got my northwestern Portland suburbs reversed.  Beaverton is Nike, right?  Christina interviewed there once, and I've been to the Intel campus twice, all in 2004.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: September 12, 2008, 10:06:55 AM »

Oops, got my northwestern Portland suburbs reversed.  Beaverton is Nike, right?  Christina interviewed there once, and I've been to the Intel campus twice, all in 2004.

Yeah, I think that's right. But Intel has some offices in Beaverton too, just not their main outpost. So you weren't wrong.
Let's get right to it.

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: September 15, 2008, 09:56:33 PM »

Yeah, I think that's right. But Intel has some offices in Beaverton too, just not their main outpost. So you weren't wrong.
Any good news?
Sharks bleed teal.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: September 15, 2008, 11:24:58 PM »

Any good news?

Not yet. I was the first one they brought in, which is not usually a good position to be in--better to be the last one they see rather than the first. But they promised they wouldn't take too long, so hoping to know something by end of the week.
Let's get right to it.

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: September 26, 2008, 11:28:11 AM »
Just thinking out loud, maybe receive a suggestion or two...

I still have a bunch o crap in boxes after moving. Getting rid of some and trying to figure the rest out. I have a box with too many cassette tapes, all 10@10 recordings. Feels wrong to get rid of them. I have no cassette player anymore. I have most of the songs on CD or iTunes. I'm trying to get over the I need all this stuff mentality or someday I'll want it so I should keep it. What to do with the cassettes?
Sharks bleed teal.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: September 26, 2008, 11:53:27 AM »

I still have a bunch o crap in boxes after moving. Getting rid of some and trying to figure the rest out. I have a box with too many cassette tapes, all 10@10 recordings. Feels wrong to get rid of them. I have no cassette player anymore. I have most of the songs on CD or iTunes. I'm trying to get over the I need all this stuff mentality or someday I'll want it so I should keep it. What to do with the cassettes?

save 'em. I constantly think about stuff I shoulda saved, and it only gets worse as you get older -- "damn, I wish I sill had that..."
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: September 26, 2008, 02:36:42 PM »

save 'em. I constantly think about stuff I shoulda saved, and it only gets worse as you get older -- "damn, I wish I sill had that..."

I'll ditto that, and I'm not even that old. But if moving years are counted like dog years, well, then...

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: September 26, 2008, 02:45:41 PM »

I'll ditto that, and I'm not even that old. But if moving years are counted like dog years, well, then...

How 'bout I stop over and take them off your hands & agree to archive them digitally at some unknown future date (and offer them up for redistribution as I have with all the archived sets I've gotten from Urth)?  I still have a tape player that I use, so they will get listened to once or twice in the meantime.

ETA: and after I archive them digitaly I further promise to dispose of them in an earth-friendly way.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: September 27, 2008, 06:33:29 AM »

ETA: and after I archive them digitaly I further promise to dispose of them in an earth-friendly way.

which could be mailing them to spain, where a loving cassette player awaits their entry. :)

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: September 27, 2008, 03:40:57 PM »

which could be mailing them to spain, where a loving cassette player awaits their entry. :)
What years would you like?
Sharks bleed teal.

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: September 28, 2008, 05:06:02 AM »

What years would you like?

anything from the 70's.

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: November 04, 2008, 12:47:55 PM »
fuck fuck fuck. I just got an email from a young woman I used to work with and have somewhat stayed in touch with. She had a second child a month ago and just had news of aggressive breast cancer. Thought it was a blocked milk duct but it wasn't. She's starting chemo and then having a mastectomy. She's early 30's. I'm devastated by this. What the hell. Cancer really spares no one.
Sharks bleed teal.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: November 04, 2008, 01:49:25 PM »
fuck fuck fuck. I just got an email from a young woman I used to work with and have somewhat stayed in touch with. She had a second child a month ago and just had news of aggressive breast cancer. Thought it was a blocked milk duct but it wasn't. She's starting chemo and then having a mastectomy. She's early 30's. I'm devastated by this. What the hell. Cancer really spares no one.

Wow, hope her therapy is successful.  Tell her we're thinking of her.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: November 04, 2008, 05:47:08 PM »

My god, that horrible. Hope she is able to fight it and lives to see her baby's children all graduate college and beyond. My thoughts are with her (and you).
Let's get right to it.