Author Topic: I'm tryin' to tell you somethin' 'bout my life  (Read 263697 times)

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
Re: I'm tryin' to tell you somethin' 'bout my life
« Reply #300 on: August 26, 2008, 10:56:25 PM »
Mshray, want to meet me in Bgame for Friday's live & local? Too far away for you?
Sharks bleed teal.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: August 26, 2008, 11:02:30 PM »
Mshray, want to meet me in Bgame for Friday's live & local? Too far away for you?

I want to, but it will depend on the moving stuff.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: August 29, 2008, 10:17:58 PM »

Missed seeing you there. Had a ball! Check out the KFOG Morning show page, http://www.kfog.com/morningshow/
   scroll down to the pics. I'm at the front table. Great people there. Nice venue.
Sharks bleed teal.

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: August 30, 2008, 10:02:24 AM »
Missed seeing you there. Had a ball! Check out the KFOG Morning show page, http://www.kfog.com/morningshow/
scroll down to the pics. I'm at the front table. Great people there. Nice venue.
Nice pic of you and DM.  I listened to some of it on radio. Sounds like a good time was had by all.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: August 31, 2008, 09:09:23 PM »

Very sorry I couldn't go.  But I spent all day on Thursday moving all our stuff into our new house - from 8am to 11pm, and most of the time it was 102 degrees!!!!! 

I was so utterly exhausted on Friday, but in the meantime a couple things at work semi-blew up & I needed all day and all my remaining strength (only slightly better than nil) to deal with it.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: September 02, 2008, 09:59:01 AM »

Very sorry I couldn't go.  But I spent all day on Thursday moving all our stuff into our new house - from 8am to 11pm, and most of the time it was 102 degrees!!!!! 

I was so utterly exhausted on Friday, but in the meantime a couple things at work semi-blew up & I needed all day and all my remaining strength (only slightly better than nil) to deal with it.
Hope the new week is better for you. You KNOW I KNOW about moving. I'm still figuring out what to do with stuff still in boxes.
Sharks bleed teal.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: September 02, 2008, 11:03:45 AM »

Hope the new week is better for you. You KNOW I KNOW about moving. I'm still figuring out what to do with stuff still in boxes.

This week is going to be waaaaay better, and not least because it's a short one.

Here's a summary of last week:

1.) For the 4th time, a buyer backed out of their contract to buy our house right before the deadline.
2.) We had to borrow a lot of money from Christina's family to make our downpayment and get a check to the title co. on Monday so the remaining funds could be wired on Tuesday from the lender and we could get our keys on Wednesday.
3.) We had to find a tenant for our Castro Valley house.
4.) We had to drive our kids to school in Dublin starting Monday, but it wouldn't be until Thursday that we'd actually be waking up in Dublin.
5.) We were told that there were too many kids in 1st grade, that Gabriel was most of the way down the waiting list & so might be diverted to a school 2 miles away (our new house is across the street from the school he started at, one of the main reasons we bought the house).
6.) We had to have everything packed into the storage pods by Tuesday a.m. for delivery to the new house on Wednesday.
7.) One of the mgrs at my office told me how flexible he was, and then acted very concerned that I was taking a day off on Wednesday to move.
7a.) I had to stifle the desire the twin desires to laugh out loud & call him a f*cking hypocrite to his face.
8.) Our mortgage agent called us at 4:45 Tuesday to say that the lender had failed to wire our funds by the cut-off time & now there was a small chance that our entire loan would be cancelled and need to be re-done.  At a minimum it would delay by a few hrs the time we would get our keys on Wednesday.
9.) The storage company said that instead of Wednesday morning the delivery would come between 1-6pm.
10.) I had to go to work on Wednesday after all and request Thursday off instead, which was forecast to have temps above 100.

But...in the end everything worked out.

We got everything taken care of with the lender and the title company and got our keys by noon on Wed.

The pods were delivered right at 1pm, and I at least got home in time to get all the beds set up so we could sleep well that night.

We found a good tenant, checked their credit & references, got their deposit check and signed a lease.

We learned that, although several kids from Gabriel's class were being diverted, since his older brother Adrian got the last slot in his 3rd grade class & the over-riding concern is to not break up siblings, he would get to stay (at least a couple kids ahead of him on the waiting list still got diverted).

My boys have become great friends with the girl next door & are now running around in the evenings on our cul de sac enoying themselves immensely.  They also really like their school.

A side effect of Thursday being brutally hot, I just weighed myself this morning & I seem to have lost 4 lbs (and that's after a weekend of eating buffet food in Reno).

Most of the work-related stuff calmed down as well.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: September 02, 2008, 08:58:53 PM »

This week is going to be waaaaay better, and not least because it's a short one. ......
DAMN! After all that you're still a cohesive family unit. I got nuthin to compete with that mayhem.
Sharks bleed teal.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: September 03, 2008, 08:47:27 AM »

DAMN! After all that you're still a cohesive family unit. I got nuthin to compete with that mayhem.

I definitely think it is an indication that my marriage is getting stronger, hard to imagine surviving all this a couple years ago when we were on a bit more rocky ground.  And we got a lot of help from Christina's folks.  We owe them a lot, not just financially. 

--Carlos Santana, 2010

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: September 11, 2008, 10:43:02 AM »
Excellent set from Dave today, which I hope put me in a good frame of mind. I've got a phone interview for a job in a few minutes, so any forthcoming good vibes will be gratefully received.
Let's get right to it.

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: September 11, 2008, 12:51:47 PM »
Excellent set from Dave today, which I hope put me in a good frame of mind. I've got a phone interview for a job in a few minutes, so any forthcoming good vibes will be gratefully received.

Good luck, bud (probably belated).
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: September 11, 2008, 01:11:46 PM »

Yeah, but greatly appreciated nonetheless. Went pretty well, the guy I talked to pretty much said he was going to ask HR to set up a face-to-face meeting. So it looks like I passed this level.
Let's get right to it.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: September 11, 2008, 07:08:53 PM »

Yeah, but greatly appreciated nonetheless. Went pretty well, the guy I talked to pretty much said he was going to ask HR to set up a face-to-face meeting. So it looks like I passed this level.
Fantastico!  In the copyediting realm, or have you moved on to other gigs?
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: September 11, 2008, 09:30:42 PM »

Yep, some copyediting but also quite a bit of QA work. For a big chipmaker (rhymes with "bin-smell") that has quite a big presence in the Portland area.
Let's get right to it.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: September 11, 2008, 10:12:34 PM »

Yep, some copyediting but also quite a bit of QA work. For a big chipmaker (rhymes with "bin-smell") that has quite a big presence in the Portland area.

I used to have some contacts there, but they were all in the supply chain side.  Would you have to commute to Beaverton?

--Carlos Santana, 2010