Author Topic: I'm tryin' to tell you somethin' 'bout my life  (Read 263929 times)

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: I'm tryin' to tell you somethin' 'bout my life
« Reply #285 on: June 10, 2008, 09:33:01 PM »
Well, we made it. Finally got my internet functioning today (Verizon not the best in the tech support dept, more on that later), but at last it's working. Thursday's '79 was the last set I heard over the air, as we were driving out of town that morning. Actually didn't hear it all--the signal became unlistenable during the Pink Floyd tune as we were heading north on 505, just before we hit I-5. I was barely able to identify Rise after a couple minutes of trying, then it was gone. The drive north was uneventful, just really freakin' long.

More to tell, but it's late and I need sleep. Hope to join you one morning this week, if the good lord's willin' and the crick don't rise.
cheers,
Oregon Urth
Glad you made it safely. Homesick for SF yet? You're missing a week of gorgeous weather.

Yes, I read enviously about the Bo set. glad Dave did something in his honor--he deserved it. But sad to have missed it--but c'est la vie.

Not too homesick yet, but I've been hearing about the glorious weather down there. Not so up here--true to its rep, we've had Oregon showers every day I've been here except Sunday, which was pretty nice, in the low 70s. But otherwise it's been pretty chilly--highs in the 50s to low 60s, and down in the low 40s at night--brrrr. Supposedly this is the coldest June so far on record up here--someone today told me we were having June-uary.

Other goings-on: today went and bought a garden tractor off of Craigslist. We have weeds approaching thigh-high, so gotta do something--a lawnmower just won't do it. Next up in the major purchase dept: a pickup truck. I'm reminded of Neil's Out on the Weekend: "Think I'll pack it in and buy a pickup." Since when did pickups run $20K+? And there's no such thing as a "small" pickup anymore, unless you buy one that's at least 10 years old. Now even the smaller ones are pretty darn hefty.

Let's get right to it.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: June 11, 2008, 03:12:09 PM »

I'll be popping in and out. Coming to SF Monday to see Dad who's having serious surgery next week.

FYI to the rest of the group, talked to Alicat Monday & her dad's surgery is today.  Let's keep them in our thoughts.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: June 11, 2008, 11:19:50 PM »

I'll be popping in and out. Coming to SF Monday to see Dad who's having serious surgery next week.

FYI to the rest of the group, talked to Alicat Monday & her dad's surgery is today.  Let's keep them in our thoughts.
Thanks. He came thru surgery OK but will be in the hospital for a week, long recovery. I'll be in SF almost every day and not posting much in the morning/day.
Sharks bleed teal.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: June 12, 2008, 10:19:44 AM »

Thanks. He came thru surgery OK but will be in the hospital for a week, long recovery. I'll be in SF almost every day and not posting much in the morning/day.

Great news!  Our thoughts are with you & keep us posted.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: June 23, 2008, 11:14:01 AM »
I'll be offline for a few days. Just moved back to my house this weekend after 9.5 months of construction. Internet should shut off sometime today to transfer back to house.
Sharks bleed teal.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: July 06, 2008, 11:25:21 PM »
A season of moves continues: I'm moving back to Manhattan at the end of this month.  I'll be on East 29th, and I can't figure out whether the neighborhood is Gramercy, Murray Hill, or Curry Hill.  I had a similar problem in identifying my current nabe.  I'll miss the pace of Brooklyn but this will permit things like walking to/from work again.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: July 07, 2008, 07:45:45 AM »
A season of moves continues: I'm moving back to Manhattan at the end of this month.  I'll be on East 29th, and I can't figure out whether the neighborhood is Gramercy, Murray Hill, or Curry Hill.

I thought it was Kips Bay or Stuyvesant Town  ;)

The Curry Hill reference is a new one on me -- I assume there's an Indian community there?
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: July 07, 2008, 08:01:36 AM »
A season of moves continues: I'm moving back to Manhattan at the end of this month.  I'll be on East 29th, and I can't figure out whether the neighborhood is Gramercy, Murray Hill, or Curry Hill.

The Curry Hill reference is a new one on me -- I assume there's an Indian community there?
Yup.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: July 07, 2008, 08:30:06 AM »

Yup.

Mmmmm... Indian take-out!  Chicken Tikka Masala 3 times a week!

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: July 25, 2008, 11:07:01 AM »
A season of moves continues: I'm moving back to Manhattan at the end of this month.  I'll be on East 29th, and I can't figure out whether the neighborhood is Gramercy, Murray Hill, or Curry Hill.  I had a similar problem in identifying my current nabe.  I'll miss the pace of Brooklyn but this will permit things like walking to/from work again.
The move is today, hence my absence from the grid (I'm at work now).  Moving sucks - for me it's not only stressful but depressing.  The nomad thing wears thin after a while, and I already know this place won't be my long-term home.  But for anyone who might be sending me anything in the coming months, the new specs: 217 E 29th St #53, NY NY 10016.

Wish me luck in getting settled in (my movers are running a few hours late  >:(  ).

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: July 25, 2008, 11:13:23 AM »
The move is today, hence my absence from the grid (I'm at work now).  Moving sucks - for me it's not only stressful but depressing.  The nomad thing wears thin after a while, and I already know this place won't be my long-term home.  But for anyone who might be sending me anything in the coming months, the new specs: 217 E 29th St #53, NY NY 10016.

Wish me luck in getting settled in (my movers are running a few hours late  >:(  ).

Have some Indian take-out for me ...

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: July 25, 2008, 03:48:03 PM »

Good Luck!

On a related note, after 3 months on the market our house is finally selling, except I'm not sure to whom yet.  We got one offer 3 days ago, another 2 days ago, both of which we countered today, and today another agent told ours that her clients are also going to make an offer.  All of which are or will be a lot less than what we thought when we started, but we're pretty resigned to the realities of the current market, and just want to get it over with.

On the other hand, the good news is that we found out on Wed we could get a better loan from our existing mortgage agent than from the so-called 'preferred' lender of the builders (Lennar), yet still qualify for Lennar's $10k credit towards closing costs (which ostensibly was only for using their in-house).  Sometime in late Aug our new address will be 4933 Colchester Ct, Dublin CA, 94568. 

Which will make me the 4th (!) person in our group to move into a new house since May, although Alicat didn't get a new address to go with her new house.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 03:50:00 PM by mshray »

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: July 26, 2008, 10:45:54 AM »

Good Luck!

On a related note, after 3 months on the market our house is finally selling, except I'm not sure to whom yet.  We got one offer 3 days ago, another 2 days ago, both of which we countered today, and today another agent told ours that her clients are also going to make an offer.  All of which are or will be a lot less than what we thought when we started, but we're pretty resigned to the realities of the current market, and just want to get it over with.

On the other hand, the good news is that we found out on Wed we could get a better loan from our existing mortgage agent than from the so-called 'preferred' lender of the builders (Lennar), yet still qualify for Lennar's $10k credit towards closing costs (which ostensibly was only for using their in-house).  Sometime in late Aug our new address will be 4933 Colchester Ct, Dublin CA, 94568. 

Which will make me the 4th (!) person in our group to move into a new house since May, although Alicat didn't get a new address to go with her new house.
Congrats to all. You're movin on up! I think my address will own me for the remainder of my days. Still trying to get stuff out of boxes and waiting for minor touchups to take place. Never ending stuff to get done. I neglected to think about towel rings or bars and doorstops which are minor but good to have. Just getting that done now.
Sharks bleed teal.

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: July 27, 2008, 04:00:34 PM »
congrats on all the moves and sales! back to manhattan seems a fine choice, gaz.
i'm proud to say that i have lived in my current apartment for 16 months - the longest stretch since i ran away from home at 16. i'm starting to get attached to my furniture (and dust bunnies!).

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: August 26, 2008, 11:03:17 AM »
FYI. I'm working "in the field" tomorrow (Wed 8/27) -- they're sending me to San Rafael for the day. So it's not clear whether I'll be able to get on-line to post or listen to anything. Fingers crossed.