Author Topic: I'm tryin' to tell you somethin' 'bout my life  (Read 263921 times)

Here'sToYa!

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
Re: I'm tryin' to tell you somethin' 'bout my life
« Reply #720 on: February 20, 2012, 06:59:25 PM »
I found out that an old friend of mine was murdered walking in the Castro Saturday night.  He told his partner that he needed to pick up some meds at Walgreen's and never came back.  His partner got worried after a while and called around to the hospitals thinking he got hit by a car or something.  A few hours later he got a call to I.D. the body.   :'( The police have someone in custody and said that he wasn't shot or stabbed, but said it was an ongoing investigation and couldn't say much else. 

He was also violently attacked 4 years ago on Valencia by a group of kids who took his watch and cell phone.  He was a sweetheart and I'm just crushed by this.  Be careful out there, kids.

Damn.  :'(

That's truly awful. RIP to your friend, and hopefully his sweet soul is off to a better place.
Slipping into something
And out of something else

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: February 20, 2012, 08:16:19 PM »
I found out that an old friend of mine was murdered walking in the Castro Saturday night.  He told his partner that he needed to pick up some meds at Walgreen's and never came back.  His partner got worried after a while and called around to the hospitals thinking he got hit by a car or something.  A few hours later he got a call to I.D. the body.   :'( The police have someone in custody and said that he wasn't shot or stabbed, but said it was an ongoing investigation and couldn't say much else. 

He was also violently attacked 4 years ago on Valencia by a group of kids who took his watch and cell phone.  He was a sweetheart and I'm just crushed by this.  Be careful out there, kids.

Blech. I'm sorry to hear about this.... I guess it shows once again that we can't take life for granted.

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: February 20, 2012, 08:23:36 PM »
Thanks, guys.  I'm still in a state of disbelief.  Like IE said -- can't take life for granted. 

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #723 on: February 20, 2012, 08:51:51 PM »
Thanks, guys.  I'm still in a state of disbelief.  Like IE said -- can't take life for granted.
I saw an RIP post you made on fb, but didn't know the context.  This is just horrible.  I get kind of awestruck that such evil goes on, but of course it does.
 :'(
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: February 21, 2012, 12:07:13 AM »

My god, that's horrific. My heart goes out to you, as well as to his partner. 
Let's get right to it.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #725 on: February 21, 2012, 08:15:13 AM »

So sorry to hear this, SG. 
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: February 21, 2012, 08:01:53 PM »

It didn't dawn on me until this afternoon that I walk down the block where that took place (Julien betw 15th & 16th) something like 5 times a week, on the way from BART to my gym.  In broad daylight, but still.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Here'sToYa!

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: February 21, 2012, 08:24:51 PM »

It didn't dawn on me until this afternoon that I walk down the block where that took place (Julien betw 15th & 16th) something like 5 times a week, on the way from BART to my gym.  In broad daylight, but still.

And people in the neighborhood didn't call for help until five hours after they first heard his cries for help. So heartbreaking.
Slipping into something

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: February 21, 2012, 08:49:37 PM »

And people in the neighborhood didn't call for help until five hours after they first heard his cries for help. So heartbreaking.

This makes me so angry.  Richard was the nicest guy.  He just posted on my FB a few weeks ago, wishing me well and a Gung Hay Fat Choy.  If someone screams they need help -- even if it's in a dark alley and the person seems disheveled -- DO SOMETHING.  What kind of world do we live in??

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: February 21, 2012, 08:54:50 PM »

This makes me so angry.  Richard was the nicest guy.  He just posted on my FB a few weeks ago, wishing me well and a Gung Hay Fat Choy.  If someone screams they need help -- even if it's in a dark alley and the person seems disheveled -- DO SOMETHING.  What kind of world do we live in??
It's like the old Kitty Genovese story, something I periodically tell my students about.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Kitty_Genovese

Here'sToYa!

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: February 21, 2012, 09:30:51 PM »
It's like the old Kitty Genovese story, something I periodically tell my students about.

Reading about the Genovese case made a big impression on me when I was growing up. But some of the facts presented in the Wikipedia article make it seem that the neighbors made a greater effort for her than the people on Julian Street made for Richard. And that's the textbook case of bystander indifference.
Slipping into something

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: February 21, 2012, 10:07:56 PM »

Reading about the Genovese case made a big impression on me when I was growing up. But some of the facts presented in the Wikipedia article make it seem that the neighbors made a greater effort for her than the people on Julian Street made for Richard. And that's the textbook case of bystander indifference.
Just did some Googling to learn more about Richard, and it seems quite tragic, above and beyond the tragedy that any violent death would be.  I'm surprised I hadn't heard about it before.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: February 23, 2012, 10:29:07 AM »

My heart's hurting for you.  RIP.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: February 23, 2012, 12:11:40 PM »
M - just saw this update posted today on sfgate:
http://blog.sfgate.com/inthemission/2012/02/23/sf-man-arrested-with-homicide-victim%E2%80%99s-atm-card/?tsp=1

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: February 23, 2012, 07:24:21 PM »
M - just saw this update posted today on sfgate:
http://blog.sfgate.com/inthemission/2012/02/23/sf-man-arrested-with-homicide-victim%E2%80%99s-atm-card/?tsp=1
The story just gets more tragic by the minute, both publicly and privately.