Author Topic: I'm tryin' to tell you somethin' 'bout my life  (Read 267605 times)

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: I'm tryin' to tell you somethin' 'bout my life
« Reply #705 on: December 30, 2011, 08:28:37 PM »
So I've been way out of touch - whole lotta threads to catch up on over this holiday weekend - but I want to say HI to all and a belated Merry Christmas (and Hannukah and Kwanzaa and Festivus).  It's been a tough month for emotionally and I've been taking it out over things I can't control (as those of you who follow my Facebook posts can attest).  Trying to work on mellowing out a bit.  Meantime, for those of you who aren't on FB, some good news: I did a piece for TIME.com summarizing (with a sentence each) the lives of the lesser-knowns in the music biz who died in 2011.  (I wanted to add the Music Machine singer at the last minute but didn't know who to cut.)  Just between you and me, I don't think the editor really read it before giving the producers the go-ahead to publish it; I didn't think the Joseph Brooks snark would slide through.

http://entertainment.time.com/2011/12/30/2011s-50-new-members-of-rock-and-roll-heaven/

BTW, last year, staying local on NYE, I staged an impromptu FB dance party via YouTube clips.  If I do the same tomorrow I'll let y'alls know.

Wishing you love, peace, happiness and health in 2012,
Gaz.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: December 30, 2011, 08:42:55 PM »
And I want to add: I am deeply indebted to you all, particularly Wayback and Mike, for the running RIP thread that gave me a great deal of my source material.  If I'd gotten paid for the piece, I'd be sharing it with you.  (Or I'd be covering the server costs next time it's due.)
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: December 31, 2011, 07:53:27 AM »
Going through my stuff, and ran across my very first baseball glove, circa 1967.  A Sports Master J-300, can't tell the maker.  I might do a google search in a minute.  I wish I had my original Willie Mays bat day bball bat from the same period. 

Still, what do you do with something like this at age 52?  I can't throw it away.  But I don't really see the need to keep it either.  But there is nothing -- absolutely nothing! -- I loved more than that baseball glove when I was 10 years old.

Can't get rid of your first glove.  It doesn't take that much space in the closet! 

How's the apartment search going? 

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: December 31, 2011, 09:12:32 AM »
Going through my stuff, and ran across my very first baseball glove, circa 1967.  A Sports Master J-300, can't tell the maker.  I might do a google search in a minute.  I wish I had my original Willie Mays bat day bball bat from the same period. 

Still, what do you do with something like this at age 52?  I can't throw it away.  But I don't really see the need to keep it either.  But there is nothing -- absolutely nothing! -- I loved more than that baseball glove when I was 10 years old.

Got any baseball-interested nephews or nieces?  Or a Boys' Club type organization that provides gifts to kids?

yeah, the Giants have a glove drive every year for the Junior Giants.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: January 03, 2012, 10:23:15 AM »
Back from vacation. Didn't want to leave but now feeling glad to be home. Back to reality. Home today, work tomorrow. Thankful for having a job. First online task, online banking, do I have any money left to buy groceries today? A little.
Sharks bleed teal.

Here'sToYa!

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: January 03, 2012, 11:34:30 AM »
Back to reality
Oh there goes gravity
Slipping into something
And out of something else

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: January 05, 2012, 04:33:44 PM »
Asking for used book advice please. I have 10+ boxes of books that were my Moms. In a storage locker now and I want to sell if possible. I am familiar with Green Apple. Just read about Moes in Berkeley. Any advice on where to get them looked at and maybe get a fair price? Most are art books, some are fiction. All are old. I am paying $300/month for the locker and want to get it cleared out ASAP.
Thanks.
Sharks bleed teal.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: January 06, 2012, 12:39:36 AM »
Asking for used book advice please. I have 10+ boxes of books that were my Moms. In a storage locker now and I want to sell if possible. I am familiar with Green Apple. Just read about Moes in Berkeley. Any advice on where to get them looked at and maybe get a fair price? Most are art books, some are fiction. All are old. I am paying $300/month for the locker and want to get it cleared out ASAP.
Thanks.

Maybe Black Oak Books in Berkeley? The store they used to have in the Inner Sunset had a lot of that sort of books, but it closed before I moved north.
Let's get right to it.

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: January 06, 2012, 06:48:05 AM »
Thanks.

I've only sold books to Green Apple.  Great store and around the corner from me.  Let me know if you decide to take your books there.  Maybe we can me for drinks or coffee or something.

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: January 06, 2012, 09:41:58 AM »
Thanks.

I've only sold books to Green Apple.  Great store and around the corner from me.  Let me know if you decide to take your books there.  Maybe we can me for drinks or coffee or something.
I am probably coming up on Saturday. I'll fb msg you. My old hood. I grew up on 7th and have lived on 4th and Arguello and 26th.
Sharks bleed teal.

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: January 06, 2012, 10:07:55 AM »
Thanks.

I am probably coming up on Saturday. I'll fb msg you. My old hood. I grew up on 7th and have lived on 4th and Arguello and 26th.

You should probably call ahead and let Green Apple know you are coming.  The last time I showed up with 10 boxes of books for them to go through (different store), they weren't all that happy to see me.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: January 06, 2012, 01:37:10 PM »
Thanks.

You should probably call ahead and let Green Apple know you are coming.  The last time I showed up with 10 boxes of books for them to go through (different store), they weren't all that happy to see me.
Thanks. I called. They said week days are much better but they don't make appts. Not better for me though. I will test the water by taking no more than 5 boxes. I will have to park where ever and use a hand truck to get the boxes there. No easy parking on Clement St.
Sharks bleed teal.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: February 20, 2012, 10:59:16 AM »
Last nite my kitchen stove died. Luckily, it was AFTER I cooked dinner!  Damn thing was here when I moved in 22 years ago and it didn't look new *then*. Amazed it lasted this long.  I've had several refrigerators die on me but never a stove.  The good news: they'll be installing a new one tomorrow.

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: February 20, 2012, 05:06:11 PM »
I found out that an old friend of mine was murdered walking in the Castro Saturday night.  He told his partner that he needed to pick up some meds at Walgreen's and never came back.  His partner got worried after a while and called around to the hospitals thinking he got hit by a car or something.  A few hours later he got a call to I.D. the body.   :'( The police have someone in custody and said that he wasn't shot or stabbed, but said it was an ongoing investigation and couldn't say much else. 

He was also violently attacked 4 years ago on Valencia by a group of kids who took his watch and cell phone.  He was a sweetheart and I'm just crushed by this.  Be careful out there, kids. 

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: February 20, 2012, 06:09:18 PM »
I found out that an old friend of mine was murdered walking in the Castro Saturday night.  He told his partner that he needed to pick up some meds at Walgreen's and never came back.  His partner got worried after a while and called around to the hospitals thinking he got hit by a car or something.  A few hours later he got a call to I.D. the body.   :'( The police have someone in custody and said that he wasn't shot or stabbed, but said it was an ongoing investigation and couldn't say much else. 

He was also violently attacked 4 years ago on Valencia by a group of kids who took his watch and cell phone.  He was a sweetheart and I'm just crushed by this.  Be careful out there, kids.

Damn.  :'(