Author Topic: I'm tryin' to tell you somethin' 'bout my life  (Read 263860 times)

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: I'm tryin' to tell you somethin' 'bout my life
« Reply #555 on: November 17, 2010, 12:43:07 AM »
So I've been waiting (and waiting) for the date of the next ABC Radio reunion in NYC to be announced. My assumption was that it would be in mid-April as it was the last time. And the date is... March 26th. Which kinda sucks -- mid-April is decent, weather-wise, but 2 weeks earlier makes a difference in NY. And one of the things I planned to do in mid-April was see a game at each of the 2 new ballparks, and that's out the window with this new date. (Apparently there were many requests from people to have it "as early as possible without it actually being winter" -- !?! -- hence the 3/26 choice.)  I'm tempted to blow off the reunion (most of the folks I want to see there I'd see anyway, whenever I go) and build a 10-day trip around baseball (like, whenever the Giants are in NY to play the Mets) in a month with nice weather.  'Tis a quandry.

ETA: Giants are @ CitiField first week of May -- my birthday week, in fact. That settles it.

Excellent!  Hit me via email with the deets when you settle the settling of the settled settlement.  I'll pen you in for late breakfast or early lunch on the day of your choosing at the Elephant & Castle.  Cheers!  (And I'll see if I can make a ballgame.)
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: November 17, 2010, 08:00:52 AM »
So I've been waiting (and waiting) for the date of the next ABC Radio reunion in NYC to be announced. My assumption was that it would be in mid-April as it was the last time. And the date is... March 26th. Which kinda sucks -- mid-April is decent, weather-wise, but 2 weeks earlier makes a difference in NY. And one of the things I planned to do in mid-April was see a game at each of the 2 new ballparks, and that's out the window with this new date. (Apparently there were many requests from people to have it "as early as possible without it actually being winter" -- !?! -- hence the 3/26 choice.)  I'm tempted to blow off the reunion (most of the folks I want to see there I'd see anyway, whenever I go) and build a 10-day trip around baseball (like, whenever the Giants are in NY to play the Mets) in a month with nice weather.  'Tis a quandry.

ETA: Giants are @ CitiField first week of May -- my birthday week, in fact. That settles it.

Excellent!  Hit me via email with the deets when you settle the settling of the settled settlement.  I'll pen you in for late breakfast or early lunch on the day of your choosing at the Elephant & Castle.  Cheers!  (And I'll see if I can make a ballgame.)

will do. have to figure out the best way to wrap 10 days around both a Mets and Yanks home game.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: November 30, 2010, 09:36:11 PM »
Tonight I get a text from my bro to call my Dad. OK. What's up? I am in a place where I can't call so texting with my bro he says Dad got bad news from doctor, brain tumor. Great. I call Dad later and leave a msg. He calls me before I have to go out again for a work thing. He has had 2 cancers in the past few years and now it seems the cancer from the lung went to the brain maybe and there is a tumor. He came over on Thanksgiving but I didn't notice anything wrong. He said he had trouble putting words together and got home and couldn't write. He thought it was a stroke and went to dr. on 26th. A tumor showed up and I am going with him to the neurosurgeon tomorrow in SF. He feels like surgery will be almost immediate but not knowing yet if operable or inoperable. I'm not ready for this. He's 74. Topping off that beauty, my mom should be going home from hospital tomorrow after being there 3 weeks from back surgery. My car dies today and is in the shop with me having a rent a car. Good stuff all around. I'm eating pumpkin pie for dinner right now.
Sharks bleed teal.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: November 30, 2010, 10:04:51 PM »
Tonight I get a text from my bro to call my Dad. ...
oh man, that sucks.  Sorry to hear that.  Sounds like he's close by.. and your brother might be, too?  That's good, having a reliable family network close by is a good thing in times like these.  Take care of yourself, Alicat, and by that I mean eat pumpkin pie for dinner if you want it!
~CPL593H~

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: November 30, 2010, 11:34:16 PM »
oh man, that sucks.  Sorry to hear that.  Sounds like he's close by.. and your brother might be, too?  That's good, having a reliable family network close by is a good thing in times like these.  Take care of yourself, Alicat, and by that I mean eat pumpkin pie for dinner if you want it!

Right there with what T-C said, Ali. Hope it's a good outcome, but try not to get too wound up about anything if you don't have a concrete diagnosis. And yeah, eat a whole freakin' pie if that's what you're craving. 
Let's get right to it.

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: December 01, 2010, 07:26:49 AM »

Right there with what T-C said, Ali. Hope it's a good outcome, but try not to get too wound up about anything if you don't have a concrete diagnosis. And yeah, eat a whole freakin' pie if that's what you're craving. 
Sorry to hear about your dad.  I'm sending positive thoughts your way...

My 78 year old aunt (who co-raised me) just got out of the hospital last Sunday after being in a coma and having brain surgery due to a fall on the pavement on the day of the Giants World Series parade.  I wasn't ready for her to go.  It was a difficult month, to say the least.  I just remained positive and willed her to hang on.  The initial prognosis was grim.  People - at any age - who suffer an acute subdural hematoma have a high mortality rate.  She made a complete turnaround and is able to remain independent, much to everyone's surprise. 

Good luck to you and your dad today.  Eat all the pie (and whipped cream) you want!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: December 01, 2010, 07:41:13 AM »

Sorry to hear about your dad.  I'm sending positive thoughts your way...

My 78 year old aunt (who co-raised me) just got out of the hospital last Sunday after being in a coma and having brain surgery due to a fall on the pavement on the day of the Giants World Series parade.  I wasn't ready for her to go.  It was a difficult month, to say the least.  I just remained positive and willed her to hang on.  The initial prognosis was grim.  People - at any age - who suffer an acute subdural hematoma have a high mortality rate.  She made a complete turnaround and is able to remain independent, much to everyone's surprise. 

Good luck to you and your dad today.  Eat all the pie (and whipped cream) you want!

Thinking good thoughts for you, Ali.

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: December 01, 2010, 11:17:02 PM »
Thanks. Went to nuerosurgeon today. Tumor a little smaller than a golf ball most likey metasticized fromm lung cancer of 2 years ago. Surgery being scheduled for next week at CPMC. Doc made it sound simple enough. It is located well with small percentage chance of motor loss on one side resulting from surgery. Radiation in area daily for 1-3 weeks afterward. I feel more possitive but still not great. I feel very fortunate to have flexibility at work to leave and be there for surgery etc...
Sharks bleed teal.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: December 02, 2010, 12:18:28 AM »
Thanks. Went to nuerosurgeon today. Tumor a little smaller than a golf ball most likey metasticized fromm lung cancer of 2 years ago. Surgery being scheduled for next week at CPMC. Doc made it sound simple enough. It is located well with small percentage chance of motor loss on one side resulting from surgery. Radiation in area daily for 1-3 weeks afterward. I feel more possitive but still not great. I feel very fortunate to have flexibility at work to leave and be there for surgery etc...

This is promising.  Thanks for keeping us posted.  Got you in my thoughts.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #564 on: December 06, 2010, 08:53:21 PM »
Jeez Ali, I've been so busy, I missed this.  Deep healing beams for your dad sent your way.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 06:39:56 AM by ggould »
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: December 09, 2010, 12:18:52 AM »
Jeez Ali, I've been so busy, I missed this.  Deep healing beams for your dad sent your way.
Thanks Geoff. I thought about you on Wed. night as I drove almost right by your house. Nasty commute night due to rain so I left the hospital and took the beach way home. Great Highway closed at Lincoln so I detoured one street over and got out to Sloat and back on GH to Skyline. Took well over an hour to get home. Dad seems to be recovering well. Left ICU today and went to a regular room.
Sharks bleed teal.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #566 on: December 09, 2010, 07:11:41 PM »
Thanks Geoff. I thought about you on Wed. night as I drove almost right by your house. Nasty commute night due to rain so I left the hospital and took the beach way home. Great Highway closed at Lincoln so I detoured one street over and got out to Sloat and back on GH to Skyline. Took well over an hour to get home. Dad seems to be recovering well. Left ICU today and went to a regular room.
Good to hear the news.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: February 25, 2011, 04:20:56 PM »
My almost 14 y/o boy is asking for the SI swimsuit issue. He saw me looking at it at the store yesterday. Cover is hot. Bob did not want him to have it.  Not ready to deal with this. I guess he's old enough, I just don't want to think he's looking at that. Any redeeeming sports articles in it?  aaarrrggghhhhh.
Sharks bleed teal.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: February 25, 2011, 06:38:47 PM »
My almost 14 y/o boy is asking for the SI swimsuit issue. He saw me looking at it at the store yesterday. Cover is hot. Bob did not want him to have it.  Not ready to deal with this. I guess he's old enough, I just don't want to think he's looking at that. Any redeeeming sports articles in it?  aaarrrggghhhhh.

The annual "swimsuit issue" is a stand-alone (har har) with no redeeming sports articles. It's all (barely-coverd) skin. It's not Playboy, but it ain't US News & World Report either.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: February 25, 2011, 07:12:13 PM »

The annual "swimsuit issue" is a stand-alone (har har) with no redeeming sports articles. It's all (barely-coverd) skin. It's not Playboy, but it ain't US News & World Report either.

yes, it's 14yo wanking material, for sure.  sorta like some Spanish-language TV shows. 

"Hey, don't knock masturbation. It's sex with someone I love." -- Alvy Singer

~CPL593H~