Author Topic: I'm tryin' to tell you somethin' 'bout my life  (Read 263874 times)

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: I'm tryin' to tell you somethin' 'bout my life
« Reply #420 on: October 12, 2009, 10:17:55 PM »
Mark and I received the bad news this weekend that a friend of ours from the Schwab days, Angela Welch, passed away this week.  She was in her early 40s and fit - and had a heart attack.  Angela was a good friend to me and a drinking buddy to many.  And it was through her that I met the person who sublet me my first NYC apartment.

I learned through Facebook that a memorial service is being held in San Jose this Saturday:

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=184217166069&ref=mf
Oak Hill Memorial Park, 300 Curtner Ave, San Jose, CA Saturday 17th October 2009.
The Memorial Services will be separated in two major events: Viewing will be on Saturday 17th from 10:00 am to 4:00 pm, and Ceremonial Services will be on Saturday 17th from 6:00 pm to 8:00 pm.

I'm hoping to attend; do any of you know if this memorial park is near Caltrain?
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: October 22, 2009, 09:14:48 AM »
Went to the movies after work yesterday. 5:30 showing at Metreon of Where The Wild Things Are, really liked it (and I have no emotional connection to the book, it was not a part of my childhood). Theater was fairly empty. There's a guy about 5 rows in front of me with a Blackberry. This is not some teenager texting his friends; it's a fortysomething man who should know better. And he's turning the damn 'berry on every 10 minutes. He's in a aisle seat, and the light is reflecting off the polished wood paneling on the adjacent wall. So it's *double* the brightness and it's annoying as fuck. After a half hour I've had enuf and I run down to where he is and say "Will you PLEASE turn that thing off and LEAVE it off, GODDAMMIT!" And I go back to my seat. He turns it off and leaves it off.

First thought: I should've said something sooner.

Second thought: how slow-on-the-uptake do you have to be to *not* know (at this point in the year 2009) that turning on a cel/Blackberry/whatever in a theater annoys the crap out of everyone around you? They show a promo before Every. Damn. Movie telling people to turn off all devices. Sheesh.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: October 22, 2009, 09:17:28 AM »
Went to the movies after work yesterday. 5:30 showing at Metreon of Where The Wild Things Are, really liked it (and I have no emotional connection to the book, it was not a part of my childhood). Theater was fairly empty. There's a guy about 5 rows in front of me with a Blackberry. This is not some teenager texting his friends; it's a fortysomething man who should know better. And he's turning the damn 'berry on every 10 minutes. He's in a aisle seat, and the light is reflecting off the polished wood paneling on the adjacent wall. So it's *double* the brightness and it's annoying as fuck. After a half hour I've had enuf and I run down to where he is and say "Will you PLEASE turn that thing off and LEAVE it off, GODDAMMIT!" And I go back to my seat. He turns it off and leaves it off.

First thought: I should've said something sooner.

Second thought: how slow-on-the-uptake do you have to be to *not* know (at this point in the year 2009) that turning on a cel/Blackberry/whatever in a theater annoys the crap out of everyone around you? They show a promo before Every. Damn. Movie telling people to turn off all devices. Sheesh.

They don't call 'em 'crackberries' for nothing. Good for you for speaking up. People just have no sense of propriety anymore.

Couple of nights ago I went with a friend to see Yo La Tengo at the Crystal Ballroom (think: Fillmore, but half again as big). Was standing in the middle of the room in the "adult" (aka bar) section, and two twentysomething women were behind me talking loudly and incessantly for the first 20 minutes of the show. Finally I turned around, held my finger to my lips for a sec, and then mouthed the word "please?" One of 'em made a snotty comment that I didn't really catch due to the volume of the band--but the look on her face told me she wasn't saying "oh, sorry." But when I turned around again a couple minutes later they were gone. Mission accomplished.  (There were lots of folks doing the crackberry/iPhone thing throughout the show, but that wasn't as obtrusive in this case as it would have been in a movie.)
« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 09:23:55 AM by urth »
Let's get right to it.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: October 28, 2009, 08:40:48 PM »
So, as most of you know by now, I am once again in the job search business.  Thus I have been submitting resumes & cover letters to many companies through their web portals, and practically all of them these days have a little thing at the end of the submission process where you can indicate race, gender & veteran status for the Equal Opportunity regs, although it is optional.  Just now I submitted to a big company & when I went through the process I had the following choices for gender:

- female
- male
- gender unknown
- decline to state

WTF!?
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: October 29, 2009, 12:31:21 PM »
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
Sharks bleed teal.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: December 18, 2009, 03:55:53 PM »
The annual "who's here and who's not" for the holidays question.

I've got 5-day weekends for both Xmas and New Year's, so I'll be working Mon & Tues the next 2 weeks. But the good news is I finally got the new computer and hope to be hooked up to highspeed before 2010!
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: December 19, 2009, 12:29:00 AM »

I've got 5-day weekends for both Xmas and New Year's, so I'll be working Mon & Tues the next 2 weeks. But the good news is I finally got the new computer and hope to be hooked up to highspeed before 2010!
working working working
such a drag
i miss all of you!
Sharks bleed teal.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #428 on: December 19, 2009, 08:38:01 AM »

working working working
such a drag
i miss all of you!
technically on break until the 4th, but my grades aren't done yet, and so much else to do. I'm going to try to bank as much sleep as possible.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: December 19, 2009, 10:26:06 AM »

back east from the 21st thru the 31st...

I might log on, but prob won't do much listening.
~CPL593H~

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: December 19, 2009, 05:46:36 PM »

back east from the 21st thru the 31st...

I might log on, but prob won't do much listening.

Not traveling for the holidays, but my mom's coming for a week. I am working up thru the 24th, then off thru Jan 3rd. So I will likely be listening on the days on which I work, not sure after that. Will try to do a recording of the Xmas card set if I can.

Hoping the forecast of just occasional showers thru next weekend holds. I do NOT want another white Christmas--last year's was plenty, thank you very much.
Let's get right to it.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: December 19, 2009, 05:48:07 PM »

working working working
such a drag
i miss all of you!

Working retail for the holidays is not fun. I have been there and completely sympathize. Hang in there, only a few more days to go.
Let's get right to it.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: December 20, 2009, 09:33:42 PM »
I'm not going anywhere.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: December 21, 2009, 08:56:52 AM »
I am off after Wednesday until the 4th.  Unfortunately, I'll be moving the week on the 28th, so it won't be a great vacation.  But I'll have plenty of time to get set up at the new digs.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: December 21, 2009, 09:48:03 AM »
I am off after Wednesday until the 4th.  Unfortunately, I'll be moving the week on the 28th, so it won't be a great vacation.  But I'll have plenty of time to get set up at the new digs.

Hey, best of luck with the move. Where you relocating to? Still in Alameda?
Let's get right to it.