Author Topic: I'm tryin' to tell you somethin' 'bout my life  (Read 267586 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: I'm tryin' to tell you somethin' 'bout my life
« Reply #405 on: October 02, 2009, 10:12:50 AM »
Sounds fun. Seriously. New and faster computer = excellent.

Are you going to the Sharks home opener on Thursday?

Yes, I'll be there!

and geoff: I've owned 2 Gateways so far; each lasted an average of 9-1/2 years, so I'm brand-loyal.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: October 02, 2009, 06:45:14 PM »

Yes, I'll be there!

and geoff: I've owned 2 Gateways so far; each lasted an average of 9-1/2 years, so I'm brand-loyal.

Computer update: turns out everybody is out-of-stock on all the Gateway models I'm interested in (as well as a lot of other brands) because all the companies are shipping new stock in the next couple of week with Windows 7 replacing Vista. Oh, you can still buy a PC with Vista and you'll get a free upgrade in a few weeks but why bother?  So I'm in temporary limbo for a few more weeks.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: October 02, 2009, 10:16:28 PM »

Yes, I'll be there!

Computer update: turns out everybody is out-of-stock on all the Gateway models I'm interested in (as well as a lot of other brands) because all the companies are shipping new stock in the next couple of week with Windows 7 replacing Vista. Oh, you can still buy a PC with Vista and you'll get a free upgrade in a few weeks but why bother?  So I'm in temporary limbo for a few more weeks.

Oy. Sorry to rain on your parade, but buying a computer with a brand new OS can sometimes be kind of a risky proposition. Simply because there's a good chance there will be bugs, and you'll be one of the ones who gets to experience them in all their glory, before MS can issue a patch. At least Windows 7 is (allegedly) supposed to ultimately be one of the *good* iterations of Windows (like WinXP and Win98 a few years before it) that addresses the problems of its predecessor, and not one of the crappy ones (think Windows Me and Win95; oh, and Vista). But since Vista has been out awhile and seems to be more or less stable now, you might want to grab one of the machines that has it, before you get forced into doing unpaid QA for Win7.

(And let's not hear any smug, snarky comments from the Apple acolytes among us. That's exactly why a lot of people steer clear of Apple products.)
Let's get right to it.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #408 on: October 02, 2009, 10:33:30 PM »
(And let's not hear any smug, snarky comments from the Apple acolytes among us. That's exactly why a lot of people steer clear of Apple products.)
where's the fun in that?
 ;) ;) ;)
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: October 03, 2009, 10:59:59 AM »

where's the fun in that?
 ;) ;) ;)

[Dan Aykroyd voice] Jane, you ingnorant slut! [/Dan Aykroyd voice]

Counterpoint:  Vista SUCKS!!! and you do not want to even temporarily submit yourself to it.  But I've been playing REAL close attention to Windows 7, and if half the stuff I hear (from independent sources, not to meniton a couple of close friends within MSFT), this is waaaay better.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 11:02:01 AM by mshray »
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: October 04, 2009, 08:55:18 AM »
RG:
I'm going to bail on work on Thursday. Taking the train too. Are you driving or taking train? Let's meet pregame. Still have my number?
Sharks bleed teal.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: October 04, 2009, 02:52:13 PM »
RG:
I'm going to bail on work on Thursday. Taking the train too. Are you driving or taking train? Let's meet pregame. Still have my number?

I am driving -- was planning to go down early to have dinner at that German place downtown. You're welcome to join me; I'd want to be at the restaurant around 5:30-ish 'cause I like getting to the Tank early. I have your number in my cel.

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: October 04, 2009, 08:43:34 PM »
I'd love to hook up for dinner. I want to get to the Tank for the pregame skate if possible. Do you care about that?
Sharks bleed teal.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: October 04, 2009, 09:28:31 PM »
I'd love to hook up for dinner. I want to get to the Tank for the pregame skate if possible. Do you care about that?

What time would that be?

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: October 04, 2009, 09:47:03 PM »

What time would that be?
For a 7:30 game, I think from 6:30-7. I'll be OK missing it if necessary. I have plenty of games this season. I think they hand out magnet calendars at the first game. Want to meet early in SJ or pick me up and I'll go with you?
Sharks bleed teal.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: October 05, 2009, 10:55:49 AM »

What time would that be?
For a 7:30 game, I think from 6:30-7. I'll be OK missing it if necessary. I have plenty of games this season. I think they hand out magnet calendars at the first game. Want to meet early in SJ or pick me up and I'll go with you?

I'd be happy to pick you up if you're interested in having dinner at Teske's Germania -- shoot me your address at my home email: mschafer1 "at" earthlink dot net.  But 5:30 is as early as we can eat -- we'll easily make it to the tank by 7.

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: October 05, 2009, 09:10:38 PM »
Lemme think it over. Want to see you. Might just have some ales. That theres some pricey schnitzel!
Sharks bleed teal.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: October 06, 2009, 07:29:26 AM »
Lemme think it over. Want to see you. Might just have some ales. That theres some pricey schnitzel!

they have a dinner special -- soup salad entree and apple streudel for, like, 25 bucks.  Their Sauerbraten is excellent.

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: October 07, 2009, 10:26:55 PM »

they have a dinner special -- soup salad entree and apple streudel for, like, 25 bucks.  Their Sauerbraten is excellent.
I'm going to pass on the Sauerbraten. I want to try and get in when doors open at 6 to get a mystery puck and get to the glass for the pregame skate. I stand down by the Sharks bench by Sec 128.  I'm sitting in sec 114, row 13. WHere is your seat? Let's meet either before game starts or between 1st and 2nd periods or 2nd and 3rd.
Sharks bleed teal.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: October 08, 2009, 10:46:33 AM »

I'm going to pass on the Sauerbraten. I want to try and get in when doors open at 6 to get a mystery puck and get to the glass for the pregame skate. I stand down by the Sharks bench by Sec 128.  I'm sitting in sec 114, row 13. WHere is your seat? Let's meet either before game starts or between 1st and 2nd periods or 2nd and 3rd.

I'm in nosebleed heaven: sec 211, row 7, seat 4. But I'll stop by your area when I walk in, which should be between 6:45 and 7.  And I've got your # in my cel.