Author Topic: I'm tryin' to tell you somethin' 'bout my life  (Read 264068 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: I'm tryin' to tell you somethin' 'bout my life
« Reply #390 on: August 13, 2009, 03:57:31 PM »
Well, it's looking like a BART strike is a serious possibility as soon as tomorrow -- I've already told my supervisor that if there's a strike tomorrow I'll be taking a vacation day. So if that happens, I won't be around here until 10am. Which would suck, 'cause I hate to miss a '60s set from Bob (he's doing '69, with I assume some nod to Woodstock).  OTOH, I could use a day off...
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: August 19, 2009, 11:40:33 PM »
Just letting y'all know that I'm out of action until next week: I'm flying to Minneapolis in a few hours to spend a few days with a friend.  I fly back Tuesday just in time to go back to work.  It's a much needed vacation for me; I've been going through the motions of late.

Hope it's a marvy weekend for you all!

Gaz
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: August 20, 2009, 03:57:41 PM »
couldn't decide where to put this: Starbucks raises prices again:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/coffeecity/2009701278_starbucks_changes_drink_prices.html

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: August 23, 2009, 11:10:25 PM »
Am likely to be missing most of this week's 10@10s. Heading back down to SF tomorrow morning, as my m-i-l is still in the hospital (going on 2 mos now), and we have some affairs to deal with, meetings w/ docs, etc. She's still fighting, but hard to tell if she really wants to pull thru or not. However, she's made it this long so maybe her will is still there. Anyway, I will probably peek here occasionally but not as much as usual. Think good thoughts, and I will check in when I can. Cheers,
j.
Let's get right to it.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: August 28, 2009, 03:26:59 PM »
Am likely to be missing most of this week's 10@10s. Heading back down to SF tomorrow morning, as my m-i-l is still in the hospital (going on 2 mos now), and we have some affairs to deal with, meetings w/ docs, etc. She's still fighting, but hard to tell if she really wants to pull thru or not. However, she's made it this long so maybe her will is still there. Anyway, I will probably peek here occasionally but not as much as usual. Think good thoughts, and I will check in when I can. Cheers,
j.

Urth - Belatedly wishing you and your family the best in this difficult situation.  Please keep us posted.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: August 31, 2009, 08:53:47 PM »
So today i needed to get a haircut on the way home from work; as per usual I tranferred to Muni at Embarcadero to snag a J-Church to 24th St. Get down on the platform and it's packed; they're recovering from a big backup.  The sign says next J isn't for 20 minutes, so I switch to Plan B: take the L to Castro and hop on the #24 bus.  An L pulls in, I get on, sit down, close my eyes and (as often happens on BART and MUNI) in seconds I'm half-asleep...

...and next thing I know, the woman next to me is rapping her knuckles on the top of my head (!) and yelling something in my ear. Turns out she's giving me grief for being oblivious to the fact that there are a couple of older folks standing; why am I not getting up and offering them my seat? She's just treated my head like a coconut, but she's calling *me* "rude". (And -- conveniently -- even tho' she's younger than me, she's got a cane so of course *she* doesn't have to get up). 

"I beg your pardon??" I say, and she loudly replies "NO! I beg YOUR pardon! Get Up!".  I got up, but not before saying "You need to mind your own fucking business, lady!". Then I get up -- and nobody wants to sit down! "Well, *somebody* better sit down!" I say , and then I lean over to the annoying woman and I say "if somebody started knocking on YOUR head, I don't think YOU'D be too happy about it", tho' what I really wanted to say was "Just because you have a cane doesn't give you license to be a bitch."

I hope somebody kicked her cane out from under her on the way home. Does that make me a bad person? ;)

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: August 31, 2009, 09:43:35 PM »
So today i needed to get a haircut on the way home from work; as per usual I tranferred to Muni at Embarcadero to snag a J-Church to 24th St. Get down on the platform and it's packed; they're recovering from a big backup.  The sign says next J isn't for 20 minutes, so I switch to Plan B: take the L to Castro and hop on the #24 bus.  An L pulls in, I get on, sit down, close my eyes and (as often happens on BART and MUNI) in seconds I'm half-asleep...

...and next thing I know, the woman next to me is rapping her knuckles on the top of my head (!) and yelling something in my ear. Turns out she's giving me grief for being oblivious to the fact that there are a couple of older folks standing; why am I not getting up and offering them my seat? She's just treated my head like a coconut, but she's calling *me* "rude". (And -- conveniently -- even tho' she's younger than me, she's got a cane so of course *she* doesn't have to get up). 

"I beg your pardon??" I say, and she loudly replies "NO! I beg YOUR pardon! Get Up!".  I got up, but not before saying "You need to mind your own fucking business, lady!". Then I get up -- and nobody wants to sit down! "Well, *somebody* better sit down!" I say , and then I lean over to the annoying woman and I say "if somebody started knocking on YOUR head, I don't think YOU'D be too happy about it", tho' what I really wanted to say was "Just because you have a cane doesn't give you license to be a bitch."

I hope somebody kicked her cane out from under her on the way home. Does that make me a bad person? ;)
LMFAO!! OMG I cannot imagine you doing that. I think you were physically assaulted. I'm still laughing!!!
Sharks bleed teal.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: August 31, 2009, 10:34:15 PM »

Sounds like she's got an ax to grind because people haven't been quick enough offering *her* their seats when she thought they should (but with an attitude like that, can you blame them?). Still, that doesn't give her license to be the Disabled Seating Monitor or to violate your melon with her knuckles, when I'm sure a gentle shake of your arm would have sufficed. And I'd bet the oldsters were pretty embarrassed about this bee-yotch making a scene, which was why they declined the offer of your seat.

You just never know what kind of wingnut you'll run into on MUNI.

Btw, thanks for all your concern about my situation. It continues, not sure what's going to happen. Sarah's mom has good days, and bad days, but rarely two consecutive good ones, so it's hard to be hopeful. We'll be back down at the end of Sept, or sooner if the situation warrants. Mark, I got your message, will try to call you tomorrow afternoon or evening.
Let's get right to it.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: September 01, 2009, 11:22:34 AM »

No, you're NOT.  The mo-fo's from my HQ just survived the worst typhoon to hit Taiwan in 50 yrs, and I refuse to believe that I was a bad person for hoping that either their apartments got flooded or that their cars got washed away...after all the shit they've given me lately.

>:(  >:(  >:(

Karma is as Karma does.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 11:26:05 AM by mshray »
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: September 01, 2009, 11:45:13 AM »

wow, that sucks to be accosted so lamely and rudely by such a  lame and rude person.  I found your write-up hilARious, though, esp the coconut reference.   you should write a book on .... stuff...   or a blog, at least!
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: September 01, 2009, 12:00:17 PM »
wow, that sucks to be accosted so lamely and rudely by such a  lame and rude person.  I found your write-up hilARious, though, esp the coconut reference.   you should write a book on .... stuff...   or a blog, at least!

she was "lame" in more ways than one!  what was weird is that I wasn't some 18-year-old kid ignoring his elders; I'm a fiftysomething man who'd been up since 6am -- I really was half-asleep and unaware.  I could not tell if she was just having a bad day or was genuinely, k'now, batshit crazy.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: October 01, 2009, 11:41:54 AM »
Well kids I'm on vacay the next 10 days. Not leaving town, so I'll be checking in here, but without the access my high-speed work connection affords me. So AL's 10@10s will be the only ones I'll be monitoring. Hoping to get to SFMOMA for the Richard Avedon exhibit, and maybe some theater and a day-trip to Half Moon Bay for lunch. Mostly, I'm going to overhaul my apartment (a long-overdue project). And I actually have to come in to work on Tuesday for a "webinar".

I *do* hope to be (finally) buying the new computer this week; the Gateway model I've got picked out is on sale at Best Buy; the sooner I get it set up, the sooner I can get Comcast to come and hook me up to high-speed. 

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: October 01, 2009, 11:52:16 PM »
I *do* hope to be (finally) buying the new computer this week; the Gateway model I've got picked out is on sale at Best Buy; the sooner I get it set up, the sooner I can get Comcast to come and hook me up to high-speed. 

It'll honestly change a whole lotta shit for ya.  Truly.  You'll be grateful.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #403 on: October 02, 2009, 08:20:22 AM »

It'll honestly change a whole lotta shit for ya.  Truly.  You'll be grateful.
agreed, outside of the Gateway part!
[ducking to avoid dead otter thrown in his direction]
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: October 02, 2009, 08:40:54 AM »
Sounds fun. Seriously. New and faster computer = excellent.

Are you going to the Sharks home opener on Thursday?
Sharks bleed teal.