Author Topic: I'm tryin' to tell you somethin' 'bout my life  (Read 263932 times)

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: I'm tryin' to tell you somethin' 'bout my life
« Reply #345 on: December 23, 2008, 12:11:12 PM »
as soon as Portland General Electric says it's OK. :) )
Can't get away from PG&E!

Yeah, having nearly identical acronyms for the major electrical utilities here and in Cali can be a tad confusing--I still want to include the ampersand when I refer to the one up here.  And Saturday one of the local TV stations broadcast a number to call to report an outage--turns out the number they gave was for PG*&*E, not PGE, so I'm sure there were some exasperated operators in California taking calls from electricity-deprived Oregonians. D'oh!

(I'll say one thing about PGE however--their rates are a hell of a lot lower than they are in CA.)
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: January 19, 2009, 07:35:20 AM »
I'm in a training session from 8-11:30 (!) so no Bob or Dave for me -- enjoy and document well!
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: February 18, 2009, 07:53:58 AM »
Weird week for me: Monday was a holiday, and I'm out-of-the-office and away from radio/computer both tomorrow (conference in Concord) and Friday (a "retreat day" at a cow orker's home).  So document well, kids!

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: February 20, 2009, 08:37:31 AM »
Weird week for me: Monday was a holiday, and I'm out-of-the-office and away from radio/computer both tomorrow (conference in Concord) and Friday (a "retreat day" at a cow orker's home).  So document well, kids!
Check yer email later today RG for a link to pics I took last night at the Tank. I kissed Drew and he returned the smooch. ( :P on the cheek but it was good enough!) Also got close to Jamie Baker and Dan Rusanowsky and JR!! Not sure why such good fortune took place. I asked JR when he'd be back playing and he said this Saturday which is a day game.
Sharks bleed teal.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: March 02, 2009, 12:43:24 PM »
Everyone will I'm sure be just thrilled to learn that I'm finally on Facebook -- it's bare-bones, do not DARE start bugging me to expand my profile.

What happened was: a former member of Regular Guys passed away last week, I emailed a bunch of former RGs to let them know, and one of them (who now lives in NC) started a Facebook group for former RGs to keep in touch. So I kinda had no choice but to sign up and do the bare minimum.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: March 10, 2009, 01:47:42 PM »
Not sure where else to put this, but I typed it up in a skype chat with a friend on the East coast & figured y'all might get a kick out of it.

Every morning my wife & I get up around 6 & take our dog Kenai out for a 2.8 mile walk.  Kenai is a Lab/Pit mix, almost 1 yr old & a bit over 60lbs - a large dog but not XL.  Our daily route goes around some very large fields that are as yet undeveloped.  On one stretch there's a road that is closed off, so no cars, and we let Kenai off leash to run around.  We often see big jackrabbits & sometimes Kenai chases them.  Last Friday when he was off leash, but standing not far from us, we suddenly saw what looked like another dog come running up to him & they started tussling.  After a split second I realized that it was, in fact, a coyote!

Kenai was actually a bit bigger than the coyote & I think Kenai believed he was playing.  But after a couple more seconds it seems the coyote thought they were fighting, and the tussle quickly turned into a chase, with Kenai chasing the coyote over a rise & far away out of sight.  The whole encounter took less than 15 seconds before they both disappeared.  We had no choice but to keep walking in the direction they had gone, and began to get pretty worried, less that the coyote would really hurt Kenai, but that he might get lost and/or traumatized.  Fortunately about 5 minutes later Kenai came trotting back to me, as if nothing had happened.  Other than being out of breath he was perfectly okay, and has not shown any after effects since.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 01:49:24 PM by mshray »
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: March 10, 2009, 01:57:58 PM »
Not sure where else to put this, but I typed it up in a skype chat with a friend on the East coast & figured y'all might get a kick out of it.

Every morning my wife & I get up around 6 & take our dog Kenai out for a 2.8 mile walk.  Kenai is a Lab/Pit mix, almost 1 yr old & a bit over 60lbs - a large dog but not XL.  Our daily route goes around some very large fields that are as yet undeveloped.  On one stretch there's a road that is closed off, so no cars, and we let Kenai off leash to run around.  We often see big jackrabbits & sometimes Kenai chases them.  Last Friday when he was off leash, but standing not far from us, we suddenly saw what looked like another dog come running up to him & they started tussling.  After a split second I realized that it was, in fact, a coyote!

Kenai was actually a bit bigger than the coyote & I think Kenai believed he was playing.  But after a couple more seconds it seems the coyote thought they were fighting, and the tussle quickly turned into a chase, with Kenai chasing the coyote over a rise & far away out of sight.  The whole encounter took less than 15 seconds before they both disappeared.  We had no choice but to keep walking in the direction they had gone, and began to get pretty worried, less that the coyote would really hurt Kenai, but that he might get lost and/or traumatized.  Fortunately about 5 minutes later Kenai came trotting back to me, as if nothing had happened.  Other than being out of breath he was perfectly okay, and has not shown any after effects since.

Wow.  Of course, there's a full moon tonite, so if he turns into a were-coyote... you've been warned.

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: March 10, 2009, 10:09:05 PM »

All I can think is HOLY CRAP. Weren't you panicked? My pup just turned 1 and is about 65-70#. I've only taken him off leash at fenced in dog parks and totally worry he'd run away and never come back if we were out in the open.
Sharks bleed teal.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: April 30, 2009, 12:07:49 PM »
I'll be off work tomorrow, taking a 3-day B-Day weekend (dim sum Friday, Woody Allen play Fri nite, Giants game Sat). So if I don't get to post tomorrow morning, Happy Birthday Rockin' Rod! 

I suspect tomorrow is another late-'80s/early-'90s  Friday from Dave, tho' I'd love to be wrong. But unless there's a major surprise, I doubt I'll be on the board in the AM.

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: April 30, 2009, 02:11:37 PM »
I'll be off work tomorrow, taking a 3-day B-Day weekend (dim sum Friday, Woody Allen play Fri nite, Giants game Sat). So if I don't get to post tomorrow morning, Happy Birthday Rockin' Rod! 

I suspect tomorrow is another late-'80s/early-'90s  Friday from Dave, tho' I'd love to be wrong. But unless there's a major surprise, I doubt I'll be on the board in the AM.

Thanks Mike!  I'm joining the half-century club!  Still debating the AARP membership...  :P

And Happy Birthday to you on Saturday. 

I too will be out tomorrow, going fly fishing (first timer -- been fishing a lot, but never fly). 
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: April 30, 2009, 02:19:48 PM »

(first timer -- been fishing a lot, but never fly). 

Iiiiiiiiii
just wanna fly

(put your arms around me baby, put your arms around me baby)

Iiiiiiiiii
just want
to
fly
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: April 30, 2009, 03:36:33 PM »
I too will be out tomorrow, going fly fishing (first timer -- been fishing a lot, but never fly). 

I always thought you were pretty fly. ;)

But lest I forget, I'm outta here this weekend as well. 10th wedding anniversary for me and the missus, so we're heading down to the coast midday tomorrow. Probably 50-50 whether I'll check in here or not. Hoping Mike's instincts are accurate re: the likely year. Seems logical, though.

And if I don't get a chance to later, want to wish an exceedingly happy BD to both our birthday boys, tomorrow and Saturday!
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 03:42:36 PM by urth »
Let's get right to it.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: April 30, 2009, 04:58:10 PM »
Happy anniversary to you and Sarah, Urth!

And happy b-day, Mike and Rod - I'll say more in another thread.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: April 30, 2009, 06:32:18 PM »
10th wedding anniversary for me and the missus, so we're heading down to the coast midday tomorrow.

happy 10th urth!  i hope to get your better half one day!
~CPL593H~

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: April 30, 2009, 07:48:31 PM »
10th wedding anniversary for me and the missus, so we're heading down to the coast midday tomorrow.

happy 10th urth!  i hope to get your better half one day!

I beg your pardon?!? I'll be happy to introduce you to her, but it better not go much further! ;)
Let's get right to it.