Author Topic: 31 Oct 2011: it's... A Halloween Spook-tacular  (Read 16453 times)

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
Re: 31 Oct 2011: it's... A Halloween Spook-tacular
« Reply #45 on: October 31, 2011, 10:50:21 AM »

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 31, 2011, 10:50:30 AM »
What the frick? "Drops Of Jupiter" as the follow-up? Now, THIS is a song that doesn't ever need to get played again in any context.

My thoughts exactly.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 31, 2011, 10:50:45 AM »
Scarier than anything in that set: having to hear Train right after 10@10
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Here'sToYa!

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 31, 2011, 10:51:39 AM »
What the frick? "Drops Of Jupiter" as the follow-up? Now, THIS is a song that doesn't ever need to get played again in any context.
An eighth grader in my class said, "I love this song!" as soon as Train came on. Bummer, it's her birthday this week. I had to at least turn it down, though.
Slipping into something
And out of something else

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 31, 2011, 10:54:21 AM »
An eighth grader in my class said, "I love this song!" as soon as Train came on. Bummer, it's her birthday this week. I had to at least turn it down, though.

What class do you teach where you can play 10@10?

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 31, 2011, 10:55:21 AM »
Screamin' Jay was my request. I hope it's not a Hallotrina.

it's like the "jingle bells" of H'ween. Gotta play it.

Josh, the standard rules of Katrina-ism get suspended for certain holiday theme sets (Christmas, Halloween, maybe Earth Day, Tax Day, April Fools and Valentines Day). There are too many songs we just NEED to hear to fuss over how often we hear them.
Let's get right to it.

Here'sToYa!

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 31, 2011, 10:58:22 AM »
Screamin' Jay was my request. I hope it's not a Hallotrina.

it's like the "jingle bells" of H'ween. Gotta play it.

Josh, the standard rules of Katrina-ism get suspended for certain holiday theme sets (Christmas, Halloween, maybe Earth Day, Tax Day, April Fools and Valentines Day). There are too many songs we just NEED to hear to fuss over how often we hear them.
Thanks, Urth!
Slipping into something

Here'sToYa!

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 31, 2011, 10:59:47 AM »

Dogg, I do whatevah the hell I want in here, unless a higher-up or parent is in my bidness 8)
Slipping into something

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #53 on: October 31, 2011, 11:06:20 AM »
Dogg, I do whatevah the hell I want in here, unless a higher-up or parent is in my bidness 8)
I played it (not Train!) for my advisory, which is not a real class!
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 31, 2011, 11:06:54 AM »
FYI DJ Marilynn on KPOO is doing her Halloween thang until noon.

http://www.kpoo.com/stream.html

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 31, 2011, 11:24:59 AM »

Cool, but yeah, sad about Train.

Last year some students at my son's school (it's a K-8 charter) got together to perform Train's "Hey Soul Sister", with one kid on uke. It was cute enough (4th or 5th graders, I think), but it's a little disconcerting to hear kids singing about their untrimmed chests.

My 2nd grader also knows most of the words to that goddamn song.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #56 on: October 31, 2011, 11:29:36 AM »

Last year some students at my son's school (it's a K-8 charter) got together to perform Train's "Hey Soul Sister", with one kid on uke. It was cute enough (4th or 5th graders, I think), but it's a little disconcerting to hear kids singing about their untrimmed chests.

Does this mean people actually listen to lyrics of Train songs?  Do I have to look it up to know what the song's about?  ewww!
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 31, 2011, 11:34:20 AM »

Does this mean people actually listen to lyrics of Train songs?  Do I have to look it up to know what the song's about?  ewww!

well, yes, the reason I hate Train so much is because I *have* listened to their lyrics -- which are god-fucking-awful.  "Like a virgin, you're Madonna/And I'm always gonna wanna" --yeesh.

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 31, 2011, 01:01:55 PM »

well, yes, the reason I hate Train so much is because I *have* listened to their lyrics -- which are god-fucking-awful.  "Like a virgin, you're Madonna/And I'm always gonna wanna" --yeesh.

I was a huge fan of them (at one time, I even referred to "Drops of Jupiter" as "pure genius" :-X ) until "Calling All Angels" came out.  After that, I started seeing them for what they were and everything retroactively got an F, including DoJ, except for "I Am," "Something More," and "Free," which are D's because they're not innately bad...they're just by Train.  I've started being open to giving them another chance, but so far nothing released since has been higher than an F, except for "If It's Love," which for Train circa 2003+ is surprisingly tolerable.

Here'sToYa!

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 31, 2011, 02:00:14 PM »

I was a huge fan of them (at one time, I even referred to "Drops of Jupiter" as "pure genius" :-X ) until "Calling All Angels" came out.  After that, I started seeing them for what they were and everything retroactively got an F, including DoJ, except for "I Am," "Something More," and "Free," which are D's because they're not innately bad...they're just by Train.  I've started being open to giving them another chance, but so far nothing released since has been higher than an F, except for "If It's Love," which for Train circa 2003+ is surprisingly tolerable.
The younger generation redeems itself: a kid in my afternoon class just requested Care of Cell 44 from the Zombies' Odyssey and Oracle!
Slipping into something