Author Topic: 24 Oct 2011: It's... 1993!  (Read 9594 times)

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
24 Oct 2011: It's... 1993!
« on: October 23, 2011, 10:35:13 PM »
The year of Beanie Babies and Jurassic Park.  We're not going to get "More & More" The Captain Hollywood Project, much to my chagrin. But we might get "Regret" by New Order.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: 24 Oct 2011: It's... 1993!
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2011, 10:02:16 AM »
I think I'll stay on The Boardwalk again -- I can't imagine anything from my (short) '93 wish-list will show up here. Keep me abreast of any surprises.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2011, 10:04:30 AM »
Top of the hour cracker...

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2011, 10:07:08 AM »

junkie cosmonauts? or eurotrash girls?

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2011, 10:08:09 AM »

Junkie cosmonauts.  

Here's Eddie Dayne

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2011, 10:10:32 AM »

it's an anti-drug message:  "...Like a junkie ... cause we're not!"
~CPL593H~

lattegirl

• Rambler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2011, 10:13:23 AM »
when was the last time we went to 93 and did not hear stereo mcs.

i love being connected (or collected) but don't need to hear it every time we visit this year.
Tschuess!
“Music is an essential part of everything we do. Like puppetry, music has an abstract quality which speaks to a worldwide audience in a wonderful way that nourishes the soul.”  Jim Henson

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2011, 10:15:13 AM »

i love being connected (or collected) but don't need to hear it every time we visit this year.

Good tune.  Scores a 7 on the haaaay scale.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2011, 10:15:20 AM »

Junkie cosmonauts.  

Here's Eddie Dayne.  

I saw that PJ20 show on KQED, too.   HuffPo had a good review of it: doesn't dig too deep, not an expose, by a fan for fans, nice archival footage, etc.

I decided I don't dig Eddie's voice that much...  but those guitars are pretty great, esp Mike McCreedy.
~CPL593H~

lattegirl

• Rambler
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2011, 10:18:56 AM »

Good tune.  Scores a 7 on the haaaay scale.

it is a good tune, for sure.  I just think we don't need to hear it every time we venture to 93.

Same for Cannonball.... SPLASH.  Great frigging song, and band - play something else a bit deeper.\
Tschuess!
“Music is an essential part of everything we do. Like puppetry, music has an abstract quality which speaks to a worldwide audience in a wonderful way that nourishes the soul.”  Jim Henson

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2011, 10:21:09 AM »

Junkie cosmonauts.  

Here's Eddie Dayne.  

I saw that PJ20 show on KQED, too.   HuffPo had a good review of it: doesn't dig too deep, not an expose, by a fan for fans, nice archival footage, etc.

I decided I don't dig Eddie's voice that much...  but those guitars are pretty great, esp Mike McCreedy.
Watching a good documentary usually makes me see the band in a different light, but this one didn't do that to me.  I'm still neither here nor there with PJ.  I turned on PBS again last night and they were on Austin City Limits.  I like their energy, but that's about it.  

Oh no...not Cannonball again. 

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2011, 10:25:39 AM »

Junkie cosmonauts.  

Here's Eddie Dayne.  

Watching a good documentary usually makes me see the band in a different light, but this one didn't do that to me.  I'm still neither here nor there with PJ.  I turned on PBS again last night and they were on Austin City Limits.  I like their energy, but that's about it.  

and as I've said before, half the awful bands of the past 15 years have lead singers doing second-rate Eddie V imitations. Creed, Live, Nickelback, Hoobastank, Nickelstank, Hoobaback...

lattegirl

• Rambler
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2011, 10:27:30 AM »

Junkie cosmonauts.  

Here's Eddie Dayne.  

and as I've said before, half the awful bands of the past 15 years have lead singers doing second-rate Eddie V imitations. Creed, Live, Nickelback, Hoobastank, Nickelstank, Hoobaback...

Especially CREED (though with a supposedly religious twist - yea, right) and NICKELCRACK (they just really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really suck).
Tschuess!

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2011, 10:28:27 AM »
HA!  Concrete Blonde ("Underneath the Mexican Moon"), and a song from Chris Isaak that I'm not familiar with ("Can't Do a Thing (To Stop Me)").

AL fooled y'all?

And oof, ok, Mike Myers doing spoken word poetry. "This poem sucks."  Indeed.

And ok, back to mediocrity:  Duran Duran.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 10:31:42 AM by darryl »

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2011, 10:31:46 AM »

Junkie cosmonauts.  

Here's Eddie Dayne.  

Oh no...not Cannonball again. 

I caught some of that ACL show, too.   I was waiting for some of their "hits" (i.e.: songs I know from radio).  

I do admire that their set lists are always different and I really liked what either guitarist Stone Gossard (which is both a great RnR and NASCAR name) or McCreedy said about the setlist-roulette being a an occasional source of frustration for both the band (oh, man, we didn't really practice this one) and concert goers who want the hits.  I would be in the latter camp.  ("Play Evenflow!  Alive!  Elderly Woman..!  but NO LAST KISS!..")

~CPL593H~