Author Topic: 29 Sept 2011: It's...1991  (Read 8851 times)

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
29 Sept 2011: It's...1991
« on: September 28, 2011, 07:51:23 PM »
The year punk broke, or something.  I'm hoping for some fine UK indie like Ned's Atomic Dustbin's "Grey Cell Green" or Trashcan Sinatras.  No mas R.E.M. ,por favor.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: 29 Sept 2011: It's...1991
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011, 09:18:04 PM »
The year punk broke, or something.  I'm hoping for some fine UK indie like Ned's Atomic Dustbin's "Grey Cell Green" or Trashcan Sinatras.  No mas R.E.M. ,por favor.

indeed -- the pickings in the rather lengthy thread on AL's page were kinda slim. I'm guessing Swellegant's Escape Club request was the "wrong year" suggestion that was supposed to make my head explode or something.  But I +1'd Radical's Londonbeat vote and added Prince and LLCoolJ (of course)
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2011, 09:44:18 PM »

indeed -- the pickings in the rather lengthy thread on AL's page were kinda slim. I'm guessing Swellegant's Escape Club request was the "wrong year" suggestion that was supposed to make my head explode or something.  But I +1'd Radical's Londonbeat vote and added Prince and LLCoolJ (of course)

Oops! Thanks for catching that. I meant to request "Call It Poison". Will Correct.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2011, 09:47:45 PM »

Oops! Thanks for catching that. I meant to request "Call It Poison". Will Correct.

speaking of Poison, Fred P is officially nuts. Styx? Tesla? sheesh.

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2011, 11:13:44 PM »

Not exactly cutting edge, is he?
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2011, 07:39:24 AM »

He seems to be one of those folks who hates anything that's not guitar-rock.

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2011, 09:45:43 AM »
The year punk broke, or something.  I'm hoping for some fine UK indie like Ned's Atomic Dustbin's "Grey Cell Green" or Trashcan Sinatras.  No mas R.E.M. ,por favor.

indeed -- the pickings in the rather lengthy thread on AL's page were kinda slim. I'm guessing Swellegant's Escape Club request was the "wrong year" suggestion that was supposed to make my head explode or something.  But I +1'd Radical's Londonbeat vote and added Prince and LLCoolJ (of course)

He seems to be one of those folks who hates anything that's not guitar-rock.

But he generally has very good taste in guitar-rock.  Seriously, his suggestions in 70s rock are right in my wheelhouse.  We all have blind spots, and the arrogance to claim that the music our blind spots are objectively bad.  I like my blind spots.  I like to explore them.  Fred isn't quite so open minded, which is too bad.

When it comes to '91, I can suggest a few things, but they are generally so obvious that I don't see the point (like Nirvana).  So I usually don't suggest anything.  I gave one of Sundaygal's a +1 because I trust her judgement in these years, and her taste in indie/punk music.  One of the great things about being a member of this group is that I've been exposed to people with tastes different than mine, and have come to appreciate things I otherwise might never have.

ETA:  All that being said:  STYX!?!  Really Fred, I'm disappointed.

ETAA:  Ack.  I just checked the facebook thread -- I got Fred mixed up with Phil, who is actually the guy who makes the great early years suggestions...
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 10:05:55 AM by Rod »
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2011, 10:04:42 AM »
something smells... like teen spirit!!

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2011, 10:06:16 AM »
BOS, Nirvana.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2011, 10:09:26 AM »
A "BAD" Katrina that's actually good.  Situation no-win.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2011, 10:15:15 AM »
there's no other way to do 1991, apparently.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2011, 10:15:18 AM »
There's no other way ... to vote for this than BOS!
~CPL593H~

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2011, 10:15:58 AM »
there's no other way to do 1991, apparently.

there's no other JINX.
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2011, 10:18:08 AM »
VHM "The Bug" -- I actually prefer the Mary Chapin Carpenter version of this.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2011, 10:20:05 AM »
ETAA:  Ack.  I just checked the facebook thread -- I got Fred mixed up with Phil, who is actually the guy who makes the great early years suggestions...

LOL! yeah, Phil is more in our league. He requested this Straits tune, for example.