Author Topic: 18 August 2011: ZOMG, it's... 2002!!!!!  (Read 6344 times)

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
Re: 18 August 2011: ZOMG, it's... 2002!!!!!
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2011, 10:43:24 AM »
 >:(

BOS Bruce.  I guess.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2011, 10:50:40 AM »
except for the bookends (Elvis and Joey R) this was a damn snoozy set. Still, I ended up with 5 BOSes so it coulda been worse, I guess.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2011, 11:17:17 AM »
So we went back 9 years today and there was question on FB about the "10-year rule" for 10@10... per the shraytabase there was a period when Dave went back 9 years: unfortunately the db doesn't go back beyond 2002 but (the info we have says) we first hit 1993 in 2002. My memory, tho' hazy, tells me the nine-years rule goes back even further. That rule-of-thumb continued thru the addition of 1996 in Sept 2005. But then another year didn't get added to the wheel until 1997 was added in Jan 2008. I'm thinking Dave wasn't all that jazzed about doing late-'90s years anyway, and Benson was at that point letting Dave do more '60s than he had been. We didn't get 1998 or 1999 sets until AL took over in 2009.

I suspect we will get 2003 and 2004 in short order... when DC was at KINK I believe they went back as recently as 5 years.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 03:17:52 PM by RGMike »

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2011, 12:40:29 PM »
18/11- Thursday! Our First Stop in...2002!

1.  Elvis vs JXL- A Little Less Conversation
  2.  Moby- We Are All Made of Stars
(News: ENRON connection White House)
  3.  Beck- Lost Cause
  4.  Norah Jones- Come Away With Me
(TV: Daily Show/ Martha Stewart stock story)
   5.  Bruce Springsteen- Waiting On a Sunny Day
   6.  Wilco- Jesus, etc.
(News: Homeland Security)
   7.  Coldplay- God Put a Smile Upon Your Face
   8.  Tori Amos- A Sorta Fairytale
(Movie: Spiderman)
   9.  Chris Isaak- All American Boy
(TV: Lewis Black- Daily Show)
  10.  Joey Ramone- What a Wonderful World (B.O.S!)

No surprise that Joey won BOS. Loved the Tori Amos mondegreen someone mentioned: "a soda fairytale" -- this set needed some Jolt Cola.

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2011, 02:40:49 PM »
I agree that this set was a bit "slow" except for 1 & 10...but quite impressive nonetheless & eons better than 2001.  It totally brought me back to 2002 (the year I really started getting into AAA).  I liked that if she had to play a Borah Jones song, it was the less overplayed "Come Away With Me" -- I probably would have hurled if she played "Don't Know Why."   She also played the "lesser" singles from B. Springsteen & Wilco.

What really made this set listenable is that she played a bunch of songs that were fairly big on AAA back then but don't get much love anymore.  Even that Tori Amos song which was a big overplay on most AAA and Hot AC stations (and even crossed over to pop, somewhat) doesn't get played much anymore.  Though "Taxi Ride" would've been better.

BOS Elvis vs. JXL, Moby, & Wilco.  VHM Joey Ramone.

WOS to "God Put an Aluminum Garbage Can Over Your Head and Started Banging On It," although at least that too was a less overplayed Coldplay song.  I can see why though.  :-\  (And, the song's more like 03 than 02 anyway.)

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2011, 03:35:41 PM »
not that we'll hear any but here's Billboard's Top 30 singles of 2002:

I'd love to hear "Get the Party Started", actually. And the Eminem won the Oscar for Best Song, so there's that.  Betting we'll get the Santana.

No Pink please >:(  Alice, Star, and Mix still play that (and everything else by her) allllllllllll the time.  Eminem woulda been nice though.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2011, 03:44:45 PM »
No Pink please >:(  Alice, Star, and Mix still play that (and everything else by her) allllllllllll the time. 

true, but I never listen to those stations  ;)  It's a song I think most Fogheads would probably know, even if they've never heard the rest of her catalog.  Of course, I also dig Shirley Bassey's cover version.

I *really* hope that when we do 2003 in a couple of weeks AL has the good sense to play Outkast's "Hey Ya".
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 03:46:39 PM by RGMike »

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2011, 04:18:51 PM »
No Pink please >:(  Alice, Star, and Mix still play that (and everything else by her) allllllllllll the time. 

true, but I never listen to those stations  ;)  It's a song I think most Fogheads would probably know, even if they've never heard the rest of her catalog.  Of course, I also dig Shirley Bassey's cover version.

I *really* hope that when we do 2003 in a couple of weeks AL has the good sense to play Outkast's "Hey Ya".

Shake it like a Polaroid pictcha!

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2011, 11:52:55 PM »

I'd be down with that. One of the few truly catchy singles of the last 10 years.
Let's get right to it.

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2011, 12:42:11 AM »

I'd be down with that. One of the few truly catchy singles of the last 10 years.

Premptive BOS.  One of the very few post Y2k albums I own.  Outkast rocks.  Shake it, shake it...
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2011, 08:55:53 AM »

Premptive BOS.  One of the very few post Y2k albums I own.  Outkast rocks.  Shake it, shake it...

People! Stop shaking those Polaroids!  It won't help them dry faster!  *shakes head*

http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/ptech/02/17/polaroid.warns.reut/index.html
~CPL593H~